Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That the Intaki Liberation Front used local civilian employees in its orbital production facility known as Prosperity Station? Read more about it here

Author Topic: DTN: The Radiant Cuisine  (Read 1665 times)

Ghost Hunter

• Sansha's True Citizen ; TS-F Overseer
  • The Mods
  • Veteran
  • True Power without limit!
DTN: The Radiant Cuisine
« on: 02 May 2010, 13:45 »

On to my second installment! (Of Developing the Nation [DTN]!)

The Pool of Radiance located at the 'heart' of Stain was for a time, more than a simple stellar event. 9U6-SV IV, as it is commonly known today, is a planet that held a special relationship to it. The world was once renowned for the nocturnal animals and the exemplary cuisine the locals created from them.

Due to its location 'close' to the Pool of Radiance, the nocturnal life on the planet developed camouflage to blend in with the night sky. This was most apparent in the Flaffes (Flaff, singular), dog-sized floating creatures that glided on the night wind currents. Their spectacular camouflage often tricked their primary predators on the ground as they were almost completely invisible when one looked upwards. To any human at the right spot however, they were light shows in motion.

Federation immigrants, notably Jin-mei and Gallenteans, were the ones who capitalized on this colorful world's nighttime population. They combined their culinary talents from the Federation with a clever marketing campaign to create Stain's "Radiant Cuisine". Although it never came close to the galactic fame of the Long-limb Roes, the Radiant Cuisine reached enough notably to be considered a staple specialty for tourists in Stain to have.

When the True Slave exposure occurred and the resulting fall of the Nation brought war to the region, 9U6-SV did not survive the conflict. The True Slave armada guarding the area fell and the system was left in the hands of the Minmatar Republic. They found themselves unable to commit the resources needed to take the planet and its fortified military complex while the bulk of the True Slave fleet remained elsewhere.

The Republic Fleet resolved to simply bomb the world from orbit and be on their way. Although their bombing was successful in destroying almost all of the infrastructure, the radioactive fall out and debris decimated the ecosystem. In the century following the planet's siege, all native life there has perished with a vast majority of species going completely extinct.

Those that survived were the ones found in farms and growing pens located elsewhere in the galaxy. A conservation effort was put in place by the Gallenteans who fled the Nation to save these last few. Today, the surviving species are maintained in controlled environments but no one has invested the enormous resources needed to truly bring them back to a thriving state. This limbo has all but wiped out the once popular Radiant Cuisine, making it a footnote in culinary history.

This one I'm going more on a limb about, since I'm not entirely certain how something like the Pool of Radiance would affect a planet's eco-evolution. Or really, even how visible it is from the reachable systems in Stain...

Thoughts and comments?
« Last Edit: 02 May 2010, 13:51 by Ghost Hunter »
Ghost > So yes, she was Ghost's husband-
Ashar > So Ghost was a gay Caldari and she went through tranny surgery
Ghost > Wait what?
Ashar > Ghosts husband.
Ghost > No she was - Oh god damnit.

He ate all of them
We Form Moderation
For Nation

Myyona

• Spilling beans
  • Pod Captain
Re: DTN: The Radiant Cuisine
« Reply #1 on: 03 May 2010, 05:25 »

Very interesting read.

There is perhaps a bit of the time line, from tourists in Stain to True Slave exposure,  I feel missing out on. The title seem to hint some connection with the development of the Nation, but I do not see a strong connection. Were they particular fond of the Radiant Cuisine in Sansha's Nation? Was Sansha ideologies/philosophy somehow reflected in the original cuisine or did the cuisine change slightly/substantially during the years of Sansha influence?

Not that I need answers to these questions, I just want to show what thoughts a good read like this puts in my mind. :)
EVE Online Lorebook at eve-inspiracy.com

Ghost Hunter

• Sansha's True Citizen ; TS-F Overseer
  • The Mods
  • Veteran
  • True Power without limit!
Re: DTN: The Radiant Cuisine
« Reply #2 on: 03 May 2010, 13:43 »

Very interesting read.

There is perhaps a bit of the time line, from tourists in Stain to True Slave exposure,  I feel missing out on. The title seem to hint some connection with the development of the Nation, but I do not see a strong connection. Were they particular fond of the Radiant Cuisine in Sansha's Nation? Was Sansha ideologies/philosophy somehow reflected in the original cuisine or did the cuisine change slightly/substantially during the years of Sansha influence?

Not that I need answers to these questions, I just want to show what thoughts a good read like this puts in my mind. :)

This was something I had thought about in making this content and wasn't certain on how to address. Sansha's ideology and philosophy is loosely defined at best, and completely unknown at worst. Most Sansha roleplayers I've seen push a particular creed based off this, whether its utopianism or transhumanism, etc...

If I was to take a stance that all the content was based off my own views, understandings and vision for the Nation, I think I could add a lot more to it. The problem is that its biased towards my interpretation and I don't want to make other Sansha roleplayers feel like they're "doing it wrong" when they feel differently. This is especially notable in regional reaching items like the Radiant Cuisine.

However if I was to leave it vague enough not to force a particularly strong point of view and keep it "factual", theoretically others could use it and manipulate to their own specific view points...

The latter approach seems impossible though, and I might very well have to start biasing additional content. I'm not certain.
Ghost > So yes, she was Ghost's husband-
Ashar > So Ghost was a gay Caldari and she went through tranny surgery
Ghost > Wait what?
Ashar > Ghosts husband.
Ghost > No she was - Oh god damnit.

He ate all of them
We Form Moderation
For Nation