Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The Serpentis stole one of the six Soltueur-class Titans from the Gallente Federation?

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: The accuracy of our Roleplay - Capsuleers mindset.  (Read 18848 times)

Hamish Grayson

Re: The accuracy of our Roleplay - Capsuleers mindset.
« Reply #75 on: 27 Apr 2010, 22:34 »

I'm of the opinion that anyone can be trained to avoid wet-graving, in theory but there is also a genetic trait, which can be tested for, that means you would much more likely  to survive the training.    

so even if you posses the rare trait, you'll still have to go through years of training before you are ready and even then could still mind lock.  Further, I suspect that only a tiny minority  of the people who attempt to become capsuleers posses the the trait yet they make up a majority of the people who make it past the mind-lock or don't stage.

I like this idea because it opens up a lot of character back ground material.

Imagine this:  Some street kid gets into a gang fight and gets arrested.   At the police station they take his mug shot, finger prints, and a few skin cells in order to start his rap sheet.  Within an hour he's sitting across from a smiling suit who promises to make all his problems go away if he signs on the dotted line.  Seven years later he's FCing his first hundred man cap fleet.

I don't really have any PF to back this up though.

Concerning fragility outside of the pod;  are we sure he meant he felt weak from muscle atrophy or was it because he could be perma killed by a mere human with a shank were as commanding starship he could shrug off multiple nuclear detonations?   
« Last Edit: 27 Apr 2010, 22:39 by Hamish Grayson »

Stitcher

• Beats up helpless walls.
  • Egger
    • Stitcher's twitter
« Reply #76 on: 28 Apr 2010, 04:11 »

Concerning fragility outside of the pod;  are we sure he meant he felt weak from muscle atrophy or was it because he could be perma killed by a mere human with a shank were as commanding starship he could shrug off multiple nuclear detonations?

well I don't talk about this much ICly, but Verin is super-paranoid about that. to the extent that the commlink sleeve he wears all the time contains a built in recorder good for a week of continuous 360 degree footage and sound, and a fluid router attached to a biomonitor. If his vitals flat-line, then a "cold" backup clone somewhere in the cluster - and he has a lot of them, of varying degrees of legitimacy and secrecy, up to and including a few even he doesn't know the location of - gets woken up and gets to watch a movie of his previous self's last few days and hours.

There's a grace period, of course. He doesn't want a clone waking up and then having to be given the awkward news that "no, I'm not dead, my arm was just cut off. Guess you'd better get back in the box."

The point being that if somebody does kill Verin in the meat, it just pisses him off and the worst he has to show for it is somewhere between a day or so and about thirty months of amnesia.

I consider these to be rather excessive but still sensible precautions for somebody who can otherwise expect to be indefinitely serially mortal. We know that "cold" backup clones are a standing part of the PF, I see no good reason at all why a careful capsuleer wouldn't make extensive use of them.

Gottii

• A Booty-full Mind
  • Veteran
« Reply #77 on: 01 May 2010, 03:13 »

I always assumed that the trait to avoid Mind Lock was very rare, and as such the Powers That Be would be somewhat more tolerant of pilot's foibles and shady past, basically because theyre too rare and valuable to not utilize.

I kinda needed this justification to make sense of many characters actually becoming pilots (including my own).  Im not sure many of them would pass a basic background screening process otherwise.

I had felt the same way, and that would also explain the incredibly disproportion of Caldari pilots to everyone else, since they tend towards Tube Children, so they could isolate the gene and grow greater populations that would not be susceptible (or be less susceptible) to mind lock.

Yeah, I thought that not so much because of the "unique-godgivenspecialness" of each pilot...but basically why capsuleers are so incredibly rare, at least given the massive population the cluster would have. 

I figured if it was due to training, there would be a lot more of them.
"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"
― Isaac Asimov

Arnulf Ogunkoya

• Moral Compass (apparently)
  • Pod Captain
    • Livejournal profile
« Reply #78 on: 01 May 2010, 06:21 »

If the ability to fly a pod where entirely down to training I suspect the core nations would take more care to weed out the flakes and psycho/sociopaths from their training programs.
Kind Regards,
Arnulf Ogunkoya.

Kaldor Mintat

• Egger
« Reply #79 on: 01 May 2010, 17:09 »

If the ability to fly a pod where entirely down to training I suspect the core nations would take more care to weed out the flakes and psycho/sociopaths from their training programs.

Perhaps the entire plan is to this way get rid of all the flaakes and psycho/sociopaths.....

Gottii

• A Booty-full Mind
  • Veteran
« Reply #80 on: 02 May 2010, 04:21 »

Another reason I always assumed it was genetic is...well...the average pod pilot in Eve is kinda a clod.  Its hard to hear "i totally pwned his @ss" and think "this....this man completed the toughest, most exclusive training in all of New Eden". 
"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"
― Isaac Asimov

Arnulf Ogunkoya

• Pod Captain
    • Livejournal profile
« Reply #81 on: 02 May 2010, 06:26 »

Another reason I always assumed it was genetic is...well...the average pod pilot in Eve is kinda a clod.  Its hard to hear "i totally pwned his @ss" and think "this....this man completed the toughest, most exclusive training in all of New Eden". 

Of course I really need much pointier ears to say this with conviction but...

I believe that is what I just said Captain.
Kind Regards,
Arnulf Ogunkoya.

Gottii

• A Booty-full Mind
  • Veteran
« Reply #82 on: 02 May 2010, 11:04 »

Another reason I always assumed it was genetic is...well...the average pod pilot in Eve is kinda a clod.  Its hard to hear "i totally pwned his @ss" and think "this....this man completed the toughest, most exclusive training in all of New Eden".  

Of course I really need much pointier ears to say this with conviction but...

I believe that is what I just said Captain.

Yes, but while your statement was made with logic and cold vulcan dispassion, mine was far more human and intuitive, and no doubt made green-skin dancing girls everywhere swoon   :D
― Isaac Asimov

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #83 on: 02 May 2010, 16:45 »

Jibing in randomly, I am always amused how characters get offended by Seriphyn's egomania.

He's a capsuleer! Ego is our middle name! Hehe

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #84 on: 03 May 2010, 01:57 »

Ego is our middle name!

"Average" capsuleer mentality, c/c?
« Last Edit: 03 May 2010, 02:00 by Morwen Lagann »
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Arnulf Ogunkoya

• Pod Captain
    • Livejournal profile
« Reply #85 on: 03 May 2010, 03:57 »

Jibing in randomly, I am always amused how characters get offended by Seriphyn's egomania.

He's a capsuleer! Ego is our middle name! Hehe

Thing is you have to be careful how far you take it or nobody will talk to you IC because IC you are a boring person to talk to. Much the same as playing a crazy person.

IC I don't talk to Revan because I don't think she has a properly functioning personality, and I'd much rather be blowing her up.

Now Laerise I would cheerfully exchange insults with as well as blowing up. IC I think she's a pompous cretin, however good she may be as a pilot. But I don't think she's stupid and I do thing she's sane (for a certain value of sane anyway).

Rocius (from Gradient) is fun to talk to because he is played as so stiff-necked and genrally anal. I find winding him up hugely relaxing.

Arkady Sadik (also Gradient) is fun because he is so opinionated and isn't afraid to defend is opinions with a reasoned debate.

However Arnulf tends to steer clear of talking to people like Cyshade and the bit's of U'K that think the Blooders are fine allies ('cos they are anti Empire) because he is well aware that he is completely non rational when it comes to Blood Raiders. He'd blow up their habitats cheerfully and not for the loot, but because he feels they are a worse stain on creation than the empire. Ditto the EoM.
Kind Regards,
Arnulf Ogunkoya.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]