Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Kiaor was a notable Minmatar historical figure attributed with saying, "Those whom you hate so fervently, you must have once loved so deeply."

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Retribution PF updates  (Read 2419 times)

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
Re: Retribution PF updates
« Reply #15 on: 06 Dec 2012, 00:58 »

Gallente-Caldari war. Great details about it's beginning, causes, continuation and eventual end. I especially loved it that all the conclusions I had made based on the available PF so far was proven correct - I had an argument on these very forums once about the supposed 'genocide' of the Caldari - claiming that it wasn't one on an OOC level and hoping more players would agree on this because it seemed few bothered to argue it IC, supposedly just assuming that it was intented to be one.

When you want to bring it up IC; the descendants of the militant corporations will have a cultural memory of what their great-grandparents damn well considered an attempt at genocide.  When fire rains from the sky and one side considers anyone old enough to hold a weapon a potential threat, you know what some in the world call it today?

Edit:  more productive comment

There is a lot of material to read through and thus far in my skimming it seems like it can continue to support most any view point.

The Fed was never founded as a nation to begin with because it saw itself as something to transcend them, so it's a "community" of democratic nations under a central economic/military hegemon. ... The Caldari State is no more a state than it is a band of eight rebellious megacorporations.

I am pretty sure this has been in many of the OOC discussions we have had.   I would go so far as to say our guessing, discussion, and post (OOC and IC) informed some of this.
« Last Edit: 06 Dec 2012, 01:06 by orange »

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
« Reply #16 on: 06 Dec 2012, 01:18 »

I think BLoodBird is trying to say he argued from the IC Gallente standpoint that it was never intended as a genocide. Though, that doesn't mean the Caldari should be any less upset about it.

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
  • The untraditional traditionalist
« Reply #17 on: 06 Dec 2012, 04:56 »

I think BLoodBird is trying to say he argued from the IC Gallente standpoint that it was never intended as a genocide. Though, that doesn't mean the Caldari should be any less upset about it.

No not really. IIRC none of my toons have ever brough this up IC, I had a topic discussing this OOC here on backstage once where I was trying to point out that AFAIK the PF of the time did not out-right state that the U-Nats wanted an actual genocide with the bombardment of CP (though it was definitly not unthinkable, considering their leanings and outspoken statements from the era, that we all get on our militia ranks :roll:) but to conquer the planet. I wanted more PLAYERS to consider this OOC because the only IC talks I ever saw about the topic for all these years were ones where the genocide attempt was never even challenged, not even by Federals - it created a de-facto agreement that not only was it desired, it was partially done.

Characters spoke of week-long bombardments, million dead, and so on, and none ever dared say that it wasn't as claimed by the Caldari - OFC the Caldari would claim that it was fact - I was trying to point out OOC that the PF was unclear on that and could support both arguments, but no such arguments were ever made IC.

And now, PF clearly state that it was in fact NOT intended, completely flipping previously 'agreed on facts' around. Basically, this PF update codified what I had been trying to get at.

Anyway, this might spur a change of topic - I sugjest this be split to a new topic to avoid derailment if it should happen.

Gesakaarin

« Reply #18 on: 06 Dec 2012, 05:19 »

The only issue I've ever had with Caldari Prime both past and present is that when there's so much more to talk about in Fed-State RP it's become almost as bad as the slavery issue with the Empire and Republic. It's almost a mathematical certainty that the longer a discussion between Fed and State participants on the IGS or elsewhere continues the chance of the topic on Caldari Prime being raised approaches 100%.

There's also parallel topics involving, "The State is a fascist dictatorship" and, "Freedom is the only way, yeah," which seem to obey the same law with the effect that the RP conversation becomes about as interesting as debates conducted over youtube comments.

Alain Colcer

• Pod Captain
« Reply #19 on: 07 Dec 2012, 12:17 »

I've been reading the history of the gallente federation, and its quite epic, yet makes me smile as some of the assumptions in my mind about Fed history were 100% wrong and others 95% right....

still, quite the undertaking to write it all down..

Shaalira

• Egger
« Reply #20 on: 13 Dec 2012, 04:17 »

Minor note:  The Earth-referencing ship names for Empire navies in faction war plexes are no longer in-game.

Previously, for example, the Gallente had ship names drawn directly from Grecco-Roman tradition with a lot of Byzantine mixed in.  The Caldari navy had a set of Japanese Sengoku Jidai terms for their ship names.   None of these are present in plexes anymore - instead you have generic "Gallente Destroyer" and "Caldari Cruiser" with sparse descriptions.

It's possible that some of the old NPCs (and their suggestive names) linger in mission deadspace.

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #21 on: 13 Dec 2012, 07:21 »

Minor note:  The Earth-referencing ship names for Empire navies in faction war plexes are no longer in-game.

Previously, for example, the Gallente had ship names drawn directly from Grecco-Roman tradition with a lot of Byzantine mixed in.  The Caldari navy had a set of Japanese Sengoku Jidai terms for their ship names.   None of these are present in plexes anymore - instead you have generic "Gallente Destroyer" and "Caldari Cruiser" with sparse descriptions.

It's possible that some of the old NPCs (and their suggestive names) linger in mission deadspace.

They were mission NPCs originally, co-opted for FW purposes, so they still exist in missions.
Pages: 1 [2]