Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

One of the first ways to crack safe spots was to warp past the person and hope your bookmark landed you next to them?

Author Topic: Recovery  (Read 1672 times)

Norrin Ellis

Recovery
« on: 29 Nov 2012, 19:43 »

I remember asking the doctor if he could help me forget.  Could he tinker with my memory implant?  Activate a clone with an old scan?  A lobotomy perhaps?  He told me that I couldn't wipe away my troubles so easily.  It was the last conversation we had for a long time.

The clinic wasn't a terrible place.  Not what I was accustomed to, but cozy in its own right.  After the initial consultation with my doctor, I got used to the idea that perhaps I'd spend the rest of my days there.  I honestly hoped there wouldn't be many days left to spend.  Wasting away all alone seemed fitting--fitting in the sense that it was the hand I believed fate inevitably had in store for me, so I might as well play it quickly and be done with it.

I sat in silence for weeks.  I woke up every morning and wept for my son, and I went to bed each night doing the same.  I found myself thinking about my brother as much as anything else, consumed by the notion that I never had an opportunity to meet the people that might have mattered most to me.  For all that I told myself that I was simply waiting to die, however, I couldn't help but ask myself why, if I really believed so, I hadn't simply let myself burn with the rest of the house.

As it happened, I couldn't even bear to watch it burn.  My parents thought perhaps I'd gone mad, so they asked me to seek professional help.  I remember thinking that it had all been an empty fantasy.  All a lie.  I didn't want to live in a dream anymore.  I certainly didn't want to live in our dream, so I burnt it to the ground.  I presumed that when the smoke cleared and the rubble was carted away, everything would seem pristine again.

I was wrong, of course.  There I sat, the warmth of my burning home on my back, doodling their names in the sand--the family I loved.  When it dawned on me that the smoke wouldn't clear and the rubble would always be there, I found that cynicism welcomed me with open arms.  Perhaps I took my parents' advice precisely because I didn't like this new companion.

Because I had been unwilling to speak, the doctor gave me a notebook.  He said that perhaps the first person I'd be ready to talk to would be myself.  I look back at the first entry I made:

The doc says this book will help.

That was all I wrote for two weeks.  In the meantime, I had found the squirrels outside my window to be a curious diversion from my usual contemplations--guilt, shame, loneliness, loss.  They seemed quite busy.  Darting to and fro, looking about in short, nervous little twitches.  I wondered often if they were much like people, and that's when I started jotting down my thoughts.

I envied the simplicity of their lives, yet I realized that I wouldn't trade places with them.  I think that's when the clouds parted and I started to see blue skies again.  At the very least, that's when I began speaking to people again, and my doctor soon decided that I didn't need to be there anymore.  Burning my house might have been drastic, but I was certainly not insane.

Returning to my regular life hasn't been easy.  I still see the doctor every week to talk about the challenges of carrying on as normally as I can.  New revelations have sparked a great deal of hostility, though.  I've never really needed to consider anger management before, but then again, I've never really been an angry person.  I miss being the happy fellow I used to be.

Norrin Ellis

Re: Recovery
« Reply #1 on: 03 Dec 2012, 10:58 »

I see my doctor every Friday afternoon.  He's a kind old fellow--in his early 70s, I'd guess--with a sort of grandfatherly manner about him.  I can't really say that with certainty, of course.  I never met any of my grandparents.  Mom didn't know her parents, and Dad's parents both passed away before their time.  In any event, it makes me feel better to think of Dr. Gerard that way.

He says I'm his first capsuleer.  He's been practicing for decades, so it sort of reinforced what a rare few we are to hear him say that I'm the only one he's treated.  Maybe he was trying to set low expectations by hinting at his lack of expertise in my particular case.  Maybe he just wants me to know that he's not going to bullshit me and pretend to have all the answers.  He certainly has a genuine curiosity, though--probably a good trait for a psychiatrist.  I think it takes the edge off the whole experience.  We talked about that at the last session.

"You don't like coming here, do you?" he asked.  I admit, I'm really nervous when I show up at his office.  Sometimes my hands shake.  It's not that I don't like him, though.  I find that I actually enjoy our chats.

"I don't like needing to be here."  There's the real problem.  Nobody likes feeling--knowing--that there's something wrong with himself.  Sometimes I look in the mirror in the morning and just shout at myself.  I was born into a perfect life, and I made a huge mess of it.  Had I never left home, never gone to the Academy, I'd still be a pampered child living what most would consider a fantasy.

We spent most of the session talking about my career choice.  I didn't go to the Academy to be a capsuleer.  I expected to be a fighter pilot, waiting around for some sort of adventure that would never really materialize.  When the door opened to become a capsuleer, I walked through it out of sheer curiosity.  I really miss my normal life, though.  Just looking around the office at all the books made me reminisce about the last time I learned anything by cracking open an actual book.  I tried to convey that this is really the essence of being a pilot: instant gratification.  I don't study what I want to learn.  I plug in a data package and wake up a few days later just knowing.

"So you think life is too easy?"

I really had to think about that.  I mean, I was born wealthy.  Life was easy from day one, but as much as I hate to admit it, being a pilot has taken some of the humanity out of it.  And that's why I needed them.  My little family reminded me that I was alive--not just some cog in a cybernetic machine.

Now that I'm back to being alone again, life isn't too easy.  Life is too lifeless.

Graelyn

• Ye Olde One
  • Veteran
  • These things just seem to happen...
« Reply #2 on: 04 Dec 2012, 22:37 »

Dude.

Love this.

So much.

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!

NISYN Aelisha

« Reply #3 on: 05 Dec 2012, 07:32 »

Good stuff, good stuff indeed.

Between Ava and yourself, I might be convinced to throw my hat into the ring with a bit of introspective storytelling.

EDIT: HAT into the ring.  Throwing my 'Hate into the ring' can be seen in OOC when I manage to s**tpoast in the wrong channel due to decaf being a horrible thing to give a man to drink. 
« Last Edit: 05 Dec 2012, 08:37 by NISYN Aelisha »

Norrin Ellis

« Reply #4 on: 08 Dec 2012, 13:23 »

"You're late."

"I'm a minute early."

"You're usually 15 minutes early."

I had overslept.  I kept thinking as I rushed to Dr. Gerard's office that I would in fact be late.  I hate being late.  Not only is it bad manners, but as a racer, being late has a whole slew of negative connotations to it.  Just as I was about to apologize for being less punctual than usual, the good doctor turned his attention to other observations.

"You're smiling today."

"It's been a good week."

"Oh?"

"I had an opportunity to deliver some supplies for a relief effort going on out in Placid.  It was good being useful for a little while.  It was also a good excuse to travel a bit and enjoy a change of scenery, if only for a few hours."

We chatted for a bit about stellar logistics.  Dr. Gerard has spent his whole life planetside, so he's always rather fascinated with the mundane details of space that I take for granted.  Sometimes I wonder what he's scribbling in his notes when we talk--is it about me or my job?  When I got to explaining who asked me to move the goods, I had to pause a moment.  An Amarr loyalist and a Caldari militia pilot had taken advantage of my services for the relief effort because I could freely cross all the borders.  But why should they trust me?  These are some of the staunchest enemies of all things Gallente, yet they asked no questions and required no collateral or other security instruments.

"You don't think they should trust you?"

"Pilots are a very cynical and suspicious bunch.  Paranoia and distrust are the norm.  I mean, I know that I can be trusted to keep my word, but if they've learned any of the hard lessons of space, they've got no reason to believe that."

"So it bothers you that they deviated from the norm?"

"Quite the contrary.  I'm delighted that they deviated from the norm.  Hurting people will get the things they need because those pilots set aside their suspicions for five minutes.  I'm just boggled that people deviate from the norm conversely, too.  People that we should trust and do trust--people that we trust the most--end up betraying us."

"If there's no trust, there's no betrayal.  One is a precondition for the other."

"Then how does anyone arrive at the decision to trust anyone?  It seems the most rational behavior is to trust no one, just like the typical pilot."

I suppose I'll have to chew on that for a while because our time was up.
« Last Edit: 08 Dec 2012, 13:26 by Norrin Ellis »

Ava Starfire

• Queen of Hashbrowns
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #5 on: 10 Dec 2012, 06:06 »

Loving this!