Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The 'Heaven' constellation in Curse is the former location of the Third Jove Empire and the current headquarters of the vast Angel Cartel?

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Enemy Unknown  (Read 8779 times)

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
Re: Enemy Unknown
« Reply #60 on: 18 Oct 2012, 06:15 »

Maybe, but I think "panic" in XCOM is meant to represent the level of alien success/unchallenged alien activity in a given country and the amount of civic unrest (and alien infiltration) present there rather than the level of seriousness paid to the situation by the local government.  More "panic" means the government assesses that XCOM is unable to defend the country and their money is better spent trying to tackle the problem themselves rather than funding what many in said government must then see as an international boondoggle.

I think that's exactly it. The original XCOM's defeat message says how "Each country will now deal with the problem as they see fit" when they all announce to withdraw funding from the project.

But also, when a country withdraws, if you look in the Situation Room, there's a news story which details what's going on there. When Brazil and Argentina left, it said how their respective governments have announced that they will be "cooperating" with the aliens leading to popular protests, while a Nigerian story said that soldiers there are kidnapping citizens for the government.

Outwardly, we'll hear "The XCOM project is useless, we're wasting money to save OTHER countries when it's better spent on trying to save ourselves"...secretly, the country's government has been infiltrated by the aliens. Effectively, that country hasn't so much withdrawn but has been lost to the alien menace (hence the vortex swirl over it in mission control)

Tis dark.

Logan Fyreite

• Egger
    • Eve Opportunist
« Reply #61 on: 18 Oct 2012, 10:26 »

Some of things that ultimately ended up making me enjoy this game less than the original though it is still a good game.

[spoiler]1. the "false choices" where I can only choose one out the three missions at a time. Because even though I can produce every other ship and or weapon in the game, including highly advanced alien ships, I can't manage to put another skyranger together?
2. is linked, I can have up to 99 people in my barracks but out of those 99 people I can only field 6 at a time? Why no "b" team skyranger?
3. Satellite coverage, like I have to build uplinks to each satellite, and somehow these uplinks that are quite honestly in one geographic location, like Asia, or the US, or where-ever are some how able to connect to the satellites "over the horizon." It's not like there arent already 10k spy satellites in orbit, the fee should be to lease them from google or someone :)
4. real bad interceptor game play. It's only marginally better than the original, they should have done something to improve that aspect of the game.
5. research was really dumbed down so you get blinking light indicators on what you need to do in order to complete the game. The orignal handled this much better in my opinion.
6. I too miss them attacking my base, god damn that was good shit when you had to control a million of your own units, some without guns, spread out through your base, trying to get some to safety or weapons. Where base layout actually mattered.[/spoiler]

There's a bunch of good to go with all that bad.

[spoiler]1. Loved the newer alien classes and what they did with the Cyberdiscs and those massive rolling aliens, whatever those are called with like 30 HP or more.
2. The sniper class is fun (if a bit overpowered) and the new sniper guns are fun to use and the various sniper abilities, especially when you unlock "double tap" and Angel Armor.
3. Some of the missions were very good at conveying scope, like the underground base mission for me seemed to go on and on. (I'm playing Ironman so I had to carefully approach every turn, there is no benifit to being reckless.)
4. Taking out the time point system was a good move for the whole game, even if it dumbed it down a little, it seemed more like it was complexity for complexity's sake.
5. Explosions were cool
6. grappling hooks n such were nice addition to armor and being at a high point to "spot" or Snipe from was pretty cool. Until a cyberdisk shows up in the building you are sniping from, and kills your high ranking sniper right before the final mission that is.
7. Ethereals were a lot of fun to fight against though I think that Assault class + shotgun was their effective and easy counter, or a well placed "few" sniper rounds.[/spoiler]

Seriphyn

• Demigod
« Reply #62 on: 23 Oct 2012, 18:08 »

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/10/23/firaxis-talks-future-xcom-content-slingshot-dlc-announced/ < First batch of DLC.

BTW, trying to get into the original Xcom, but it's just too dated (I'm long past the 1990s era), but I do like the depth. Therefore, I'm looking at Xenonauts. Worth grabbing for £15?

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #63 on: 23 Oct 2012, 22:57 »

WTB Warhammer 40k Mod for this game.

WTB so much.

Wanoah

• Omelette
  • Sweating spinal fluid
    • Hello!
« Reply #64 on: 29 Oct 2012, 15:40 »

I urge caution with Ironman. I have had four instances of a bug in missions where the game continues to run, but most of the interface stops responding. You can hit F1 for info, but can't select any actions, select another soldier or end the turn. After some wailing and gnashing of teeth I have elected to have a save regime of 1 save for the Geoscape, 1 save at the beginning of a mission and a quick save at the beginning of each turn just in case the bug strikes.

I played through a game on Normal then immediately started over on Classic. Classic is a better experience IMO.

Nothing worth saying is inoffensive to everyone

Blog | Fiction

Myyona

• Spilling beans
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #65 on: 30 Oct 2012, 10:16 »

Sadly, I have parked this game; too little variation between play-troughs. I love their turn based combat but this game really has low replay-ability value and I find it finishes too fast. The only random factor, I can recognized, that makes the long term plan different between games is the placement of titles with steam in your base.

So, instead I play Civilization V, which I have already put twice the amount of hours in than X-com. Lucky for me it has this 'marathon' mode that turns the game more into the way I remembered it.

I do not not have many games I play, but those I do, I tend to spend hundreds of hours on. The content in X-com is a bit low for that goal.
EVE Online Lorebook at eve-inspiracy.com

Seriphyn

• Demigod
« Reply #66 on: 31 Oct 2012, 12:36 »

The thing is with XCOM is that if your top squad gets wiped you might as well give up the whole game. Not very well-balanced in that regard...also Yahtzee's view was amusing...

"XCOM traditionalists might moan a bit cause the original XCOM's tactical interface was about as intuitive as a control panel for a nuclear submarine but fuck those people! :D"

Heh.

Wanoah

• Omelette
  • Sweating spinal fluid
    • Hello!
« Reply #67 on: 31 Oct 2012, 14:36 »

The thing is with XCOM is that if your top squad gets wiped you might as well give up the whole game. Not very well-balanced in that regard...

Squad rotation is the answer to that. I always plan on getting an A and B team that are more or less on equal terms, with a few perennial benchwarmers and potentials able to slot in at a push.

That said, it's quite possible to get the sort of failure cascade that leads to you having only two rookies left to send on that terror mission... :)

Blog | Fiction

Myyona

• Spilling beans
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #68 on: 31 Oct 2012, 18:16 »

"XCOM traditionalists might moan a bit cause the original XCOM's tactical interface was about as intuitive as a control panel for a nuclear submarine but fuck those people! :D"
Funny as at sounds, I was 15 when I figured it out. Maybe I have a natural talent for operating nuclear submarines.
EVE Online Lorebook at eve-inspiracy.com

Khloe

• Silent Watcher
  • Egger
« Reply #69 on: 01 Nov 2012, 11:04 »

I love this game. It takes a lot for me to really invest my time in a game, and so far I've sunk quite a lot without even realizing it. And while I agree that the game is short and the strategy base-building aspect rather linear, what keeps me coming back is the tactical side of the game. I've never had a repetitious experience on the combat end, and that's where I think the game shines despite some minor bugs.

They could have done much more with the game, but what they have now is fairly polished; I'm curious how they are going to handle future DLCs beyond the upcoming China event.

Wanoah

• Omelette
  • Sweating spinal fluid
    • Hello!
« Reply #70 on: 01 Nov 2012, 15:25 »

I'm curious how they are going to handle future DLCs beyond the upcoming China event.

I don't really see a lot of scope for DLC. Which isn't to say that there won't be plenty. :)

I do see plenty of scope for a sequel, though. Maybe something underwater? ;)

Blog | Fiction

Seriphyn

• Demigod
« Reply #71 on: 01 Nov 2012, 16:26 »

Funny as at sounds, I was 15 when I figured it out. Maybe I have a natural talent for operating nuclear submarines.

We weren't faced with much choice back then :yar:

lallara zhuul

• Now with rainbows and butterflies.
  • Veteran
« Reply #72 on: 02 Nov 2012, 05:51 »

There was a bunch of old C64 and amiga games that had the interface already.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]