Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Re-Awakened Technologies Inc is a Minmatar Republic loyalist corporation? Read more here

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: The nature of the Scriptures and the nature of the Clergy.  (Read 4514 times)

Jace

• Veteran

As Mithra reliably pointed out, there is massive historical misunderstanding or ignorance occurring in this thread. If people would like book suggestions to combat this, let me know.

Yes, I would like some book suggestions thanks!

The best overview of the Middle Ages currently available is probably this. For the lives of women in the Middle Ages, this book as recently been updated to a new addition in the last couple of years. There are a few famous books on women in the Middle Ages, but that is my favorite. Since the thread is particularly discussing religion, I have several books I can suggest about the Reformation as well - though that is technically just past the Middle Ages. The turmoil of the time period has led to some unusually specific and detailed scholarship.

If you have very specific things you wish to research, there are typically two best ways to go about it. One, keep an eye out for footnotes and endnotes that occur when the topic is mentioned in something you read. Second, search online scholarly journal databases. Academics that write books on particular topics typically have published journal articles on that same topic in the past.
« Last Edit: 08 Sep 2014, 23:16 by Jace »

Lyn Farel

Important note.

COMMONERS CAN NOT HOLD SLAVES. 

No matter how rich they are. 

Being a Holder is more than being rich/noble = its almost *moar blessed* (trditionally).  This is why they have the power to control land and people.

Not every Amarrian gets their first slave on their Sweet 16.

Also. WAY MORE COMMONERS THAN NOBLES.  They ARE hired by nobles - to drive those hovercars and techy things that one may or may not allow a slave to do depending on holder.  Orwhatever.

Amarr is not Nobles and Slaves

Its Nobles, commoners, slaves, priests, yadda, yadda.

Ok, proceed.

I wish I would have known that at character creation. Oh well, what the heck do I need slaves for anyways?

I read that the Holders owned slaves, not that the commoners were forbidden to own them.

Well you have two kinds of slave holders in the Empire to be more precise :

- Holders (nobles), that contrary to european middle ages and renaissance, have no clear distinction between their secular roles as liege lords and the religious role as bishops. It is kinda similar to what we had in some places like prince archbishops holding actual counties and lands like feudal lords but being men of the cloth instead of men of the sword. Which means that in the Empire there is little distinction between religious and secular duties, with perhaps the exception of the high nobility and government (the secular Privy Council vs the religious TC since the Empire Great Reforms). Anyway, they hold slaves because their duty is to bring them to the path of enlightement, leading them to emancipation after a whole life of slavery, or generations of slavery.

- Slave traders, allowed to enslave criminals or to raid for slaves (not outside of the Empire since Heideran/CONCORD decree, but outside of the Empire for the Khanid Kingdom since Khanid II never signed something like this and is in dire need of slaves). They are however not allowed to use them. They are just slave merchants and brokers. And those are commoners, rarely nobles. Not even sure if nobles can do that job ?

Will answer to the more copious post when I find the time.
« Last Edit: 09 Sep 2014, 02:37 by Lyn Farel »

Samira Kernher

• Soulless Puppet
  • Veteran
  • Ardishapur Victor

Quote from: Jikahr
I read that the Holders owned slaves, not that the commoners were forbidden to own them.

Commoners can be leased slaves at best, with what is known as a Custodial Servitude Contract. Similar to land though, commoners can only be leased it, not own it. Holders own all land and all slaves in the Empire. Like leasing land, leasing slaves is probably a very common thing.

Regarding slave ownership and Custodial Servitude Contracts, a post from a dev actor:

https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=2539775#post2539775

The Khanid Kingdom is the one where commoners can actually own slaves if they have enough money. It's one of the big differences between the Empire and the Kingdom.

Quote from: Lyn Farel
- Slave traders, allowed to enslave criminals or to raid for slaves (not outside of the Empire since Heideran/CONCORD decree, but outside of the Empire for the Khanid Kingdom since Khanid II never signed something like this and is in dire need of slaves). They are however not allowed to use them. They are just slave merchants and brokers. And those are commoners, rarely nobles. Not even sure if nobles can do that job ?

Actually, the majority of slavers are nobility. It's considered a prestigious position.
« Last Edit: 09 Sep 2014, 02:55 by Samira Kernher »

Lyn Farel

It would seem that I missed something in that article then.
Pages: 1 [2]