Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Myrhial Arkenath was born and raised on Saisio III? Read more here

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: EoM topic  (Read 4370 times)

Leopold Caine

• Egger
  • Angels are never far...
Re: EoM topic
« Reply #15 on: 16 Oct 2012, 16:54 »

Wow, Logan actually has an idea on the issue there.I didn't want to delve into this, but keep up the good work.

Leopold Caine

• Egger
« Reply #16 on: 16 Oct 2012, 17:19 »

It's responses like these that make it so hard for anyone new, or any new idea's to get into our RP as a whole, because some section of "us" are going to loudly stomp all over something they don't agree with. Makes it pretty hard to do anything fun that involves more than just your direct circle of RPers

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
  • The untraditional traditionalist
« Reply #17 on: 16 Oct 2012, 17:22 »

Oh my god, I just don't understand that stance Bloodbird or the way Aldrith handled shit for this event.

Honestly Leo and Boma +1 for trying to get an event off the ground.

Here's what I would have done to discredit.

1. Suggest that the death toll is MUCH lower than indicated by Leo. Use that as a method of discredit. In the thousands, mostly ships crew, instead of millions.
2. You know that CCP won't be "joining the story" but shit tons of RP happens without CCP say-so. IE U'K "mission" to run supplies to the Angel site. Ease the devastation as it were. Off hand I can think of 5 mechanics that makes that impossible. Didn't see anyone bitching there. Instead on this event one could have found some other avenue of interaction, or if you don't want to be involved, then just act like it didn't happen(happens all the time).

It's responses like these that make it so hard for anyone new, or any new idea's to get into our RP as a whole, because some section of "us" are going to loudly stomp all over something they don't agree with. Makes it pretty hard to do anything fun that involves more than just your direct circle of RPers

Bold is mine.

I am not stomping someone new, or pissing in anyone cornflakes, or messing with anyone. I simply think it's rather large-scale to claim the devastation of 3 million people and then expect everyone to play along, just like that, and I honestly hope that of all the one's that will play along, CCP's staff will *NOT* be among them, unless it's to play the event down and/or remark some lower level of casualty due to *magical planetary defense* clearing most of the wreck before impact, or it hit in the middle of a deserted no-man's land or anything like that.

As awesome as it would be to have reactions to one's RP, we don't really want the kind of suspense-killing catastrophe something like this might lead to, as stated above. On the other hand, major props for doing something like that and having fun. I don't mind RP and have nothing against anyone of you OOC, but keep it level-headed and at least somewhat believable and there won't be huge bouts of "nope, never happened" from those who might feel like they were being god-moded.

Claiming to have killed 3 million in a Hueromont-like event is the same as a Serpentis corp claiming to have raided Intaki Prime and taken hundreds of thousands of prisoners to be delivered to their Angel allies as slaves - it demands a willing suspension of disbelief and for all the Pro-Intaki/Pro-Fed roleplayers to play along and give 'credit' to your claims, as well as other things, like agreeing that apparently the planetary defense-forces are incompetent enough to let this happen, just like that.

There have been long, drawn-out discussion around these kind of things on these forums in the past. Today we might get another round started.

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #18 on: 16 Oct 2012, 17:24 »

3 million people is quite a lot. However, just outright denying it happened at all:

Funny how ACN hasn't aired anything about the incident. I believe Mr Caine must have been in some type of drug induced delusion.

Seems to me to be in extremely poor taste, though there was only one post that really did that.

The rest of it seemed to be exactly the sort of reaction I'd have expected from an event like this. The moderates offer condolences to the lives lost, the extremists froth at the mouth at each other. There's a lot of bad blood flowing in the topic, but it seems to me like a lot of that is just because it was Stillwater, who have a very negative public image, as opposed to if, say PIE had claimed the same exact sequence of events. Stillwater has been known for a lot of RP that people shake their heads and try to wipe their hands of, so when something like this happens, its no different. Maybe its just me, but that whole thread just seems to me to be one more reflection of Stillwater's bad PR. The IGS has always been a cesspool. That topic isn't really extraordinary in terms of the vitrol.
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
  • The untraditional traditionalist
« Reply #19 on: 16 Oct 2012, 17:29 »

3 million people is quite a lot. However, just outright denying it happened at all:

Funny how ACN hasn't aired anything about the incident. I believe Mr Caine must have been in some type of drug induced delusion.

Seems to me to be in extremely poor taste, though there was only one post that really did that.

The rest of it seemed to be exactly the sort of reaction I'd have expected from an event like this. The moderates offer condolences to the lives lost, the extremists froth at the mouth at each other. There's a lot of bad blood flowing in the topic, but it seems to me like a lot of that is just because it was Stillwater, who have a very negative public image, as opposed to if, say PIE had claimed the same exact sequence of events. Stillwater has been known for a lot of RP that people shake their heads and try to wipe their hands of, so when something like this happens, its no different. Maybe its just me, but that whole thread just seems to me to be one more reflection of Stillwater's bad PR. The IGS has always been a cesspool. That topic isn't really extraordinary in terms of the vitrol.

Explain to me how it's a negative reaction targeted towards Stillwater for the sake of targeting them especially, as opposed to allot of people opposing Stillwater on the grounds that they are angels and not all toons are angels or like them.

scagga

• Everything for Vaari
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #20 on: 16 Oct 2012, 17:33 »

Hmm...reminds me of the reaction to the Fensi revolution.

http://community.eveonline.com/ingameboard.asp?a=topic&threadID=510746

Safai

• Toast &
  • Omelette
  • "Phantom Spaceman is a big fat jerk!"
« Reply #21 on: 16 Oct 2012, 17:43 »

Logan really nailed it with 2 and his last comment. Naysaying just isn't a productive way of moving forward with this kind of thing. It gives us little or nothing to work with and isn't very fun.

That said big thanks to everybody with positive encouragement.

Leopold Caine

• Egger
« Reply #22 on: 16 Oct 2012, 17:44 »

it was Stillwater, who have a very negative public image,
Ha.

Stillwater has been known for a lot of RP that people shake their heads and try to wipe their hands of, so when something like this happens, its no different.

wat r u doin

Maybe its just me, but that whole thread just seems to me to be one more reflection of Stillwater's bad PR. The IGS has always been a cesspool. That topic isn't really extraordinary in terms of the vitrol.

saede, stahp (or at least get some proper documents going )

Leopold Caine

• Egger
« Reply #23 on: 16 Oct 2012, 17:51 »

LOLSaede aside, I'm with Safai on the topic. And Logan.

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
« Reply #24 on: 16 Oct 2012, 18:02 »

Explain to me how it's a negative reaction targeted towards Stillwater for the sake of targeting them especially, as opposed to allot of people opposing Stillwater on the grounds that they are angels and not all toons are angels or like them.

Well thats what I mean though. They are angels, they don't have a great public image, so the response they get in the thread reflects that. Aside from a few, the reactions people give seem fairly reasonable given the corporations involved. If EoM had dropped into the Republic somewhere and it had been Electus Matari that responded to it, I suspect that the thread would be of an entirely different tune....or maybe not. It is the IGS after all.

Gesakaarin

« Reply #25 on: 16 Oct 2012, 18:19 »

I've always tended to favour players taking the initiative and seeking to create their own RP as opposed to waiting for the big CCP rubber stamp of approval which in all honesty leads only to stagnation and boredom so apropos to Stillwater and Seekers of a Silent Paradise for working on something that actually seems interesting and for making the effort in the first place.

The thing I've learned though in making RP statements is that it's often best only to verify minor points and leave things that can't be "proven" due to game mechanics and the like to the realm of "Unverified reports" or being, "Uncorroborated" and providing vague allusions as to what may or may not have happened. This only because the only true constant is that there seems to be a tendency in RP for things to devolve to cries of, "Proof or didn't happen" or just a never ending spiral of canon discussion and the like.

I prefer to take things on the grounds of plausibility and interest and with the event in question it's plausible for a carrier to be destroyed and its hull to crash into a planet killing people. It also seems rather interesting.

If the only point of detraction is the body count then there's ways to spin things around to deny its use as a point of criticism of the event in general I think.

Safai

• Toast &
  • Omelette
  • "Phantom Spaceman is a big fat jerk!"
« Reply #26 on: 16 Oct 2012, 18:24 »

That is perfectly reasonable food for thought.

Aldrith Shutaq

• Fleet Captain
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #27 on: 16 Oct 2012, 19:04 »

I'd just like to point out that the entire issue of plausibility could have been avoided if the carrier had landed on a town instead of a major city. If you want to make claims that effect NCP's and the overall picture of EVE make them on a small scale and avoid holocaust-sized casualty figures, otherwise things get both unbelievable and over-dramatic.

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
« Reply #28 on: 16 Oct 2012, 19:15 »

I'd just like to point out that the entire issue of plausibility could have been avoided if the carrier had landed on a town instead of a major city. If you want to make claims that effect NCP's and the overall picture of EVE make them on a small scale and avoid holocaust-sized casualty figures, otherwise things get both unbelievable and over-dramatic.

^ This.

Going over rough numbers, a lot of lowsec worlds appear to have very small populations overall. Having gone over the news archives on the Skarkon incident recently for backstory purposes, I know that entire system has a population of probably 20 million people. I don't have hard numbers on most lowsec systems, but they don't seem to be very populous.

Graelyn

• Ye Olde One
  • Veteran
  • These things just seem to happen...
« Reply #29 on: 16 Oct 2012, 19:18 »

I think things could have been made better if no number had been reported.

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!
Pages: 1 [2] 3