Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That the expansion name "Incarna" was Stitcher's winning entry in an E-ON magazine competition?

Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 44

Author Topic: Star Citizen - from the producer of Wing Commander  (Read 101346 times)

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
Re: Star Citizen - from the producer of Wing Commander
« Reply #555 on: 11 Oct 2015, 14:06 »

Almost forgot, here's the Star Map, browser friendly:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/starmap

TLDR:  Similar to EVE's layout, except instead of jump gates you have 'wormholes' from system to system.  The difference is that they are small/medium/large so the routes/tactics change depending on ship sizes.  IE you could make a smaller cargo ship run faster, or take the long route with a huge cargo hauler, or ambush etc.

Great map though.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #556 on: 11 Oct 2015, 15:43 »

I don't really like their wormhole system... Especially if we have to do again and again that little game where you have to correctly travel through it... It's going to get tedious after the few first ones...

Also for another reason too... Like eve, it's going to create bottlenecks and encourage camping.

Nice map though.
« Last Edit: 11 Oct 2015, 15:52 by Lyn Farel »

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #557 on: 11 Oct 2015, 15:53 »

I don't really like their wormhole system... Especially if we have to do again and again that little game where you have to correctly travel through it... It's going to get tedious after the few first ones...

Also for another reason too... Like eve, it's going to create bottlenecks and encourage camping.

Those are only the 'charted' travel lanes, there is a whole profession for cartography to find limited-use wormholes.  You take special ships and find them, and sell the wormhole data to anyone you want, basically. They eventually decay.

The minigame you only have to do when you go through an uncharted wormhole, if you've been through it before it's automatic :)

Also sorry I should mention this, where you enter/exit is sort of randomized over a large area. Think of EVE when you exit a gate you are within X km, but for this you'd be within a few thousand KM of the exit.

« Last Edit: 11 Oct 2015, 15:56 by Silas Vitalia »

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #558 on: 11 Oct 2015, 16:20 »

If you don't want to watch the whole presentation here's things chopped up into pieces:

http://massivelyop.com/2015/10/11/mmo-week-in-review-citizencon-2015-and-squadron-42-october-11-2015/

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #559 on: 12 Nov 2015, 20:34 »

It's been a while since I've posted anything:

On this week's RTV show (they do a weekly community broadcast with updates from all the development studios) they had a nice tour of one of the ships that's going to be flyable with the next patch in a week or two.

The constellation is sort of the 'poster ship' for the game, one of the mid-level multi crew ships that can be a trader, explorer, etc. Big enough to go on long missions and tough enough to get into trouble, with a crew of about 6 I think.

Anyway some very, very good 3d modeling with this one the attention to detail is quite good.  Lighting is still off but it's not done yet :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SY2ATSVUvxA&feature=youtu.be

Lyn Farel

« Reply #560 on: 13 Nov 2015, 04:57 »

I guess now you can go to space toilet.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #561 on: 13 Nov 2015, 09:51 »

I guess now you can go to space toilet.
UNPARALLELED FIDELITY.   FIDELITY.   That's Chris Roberts most favoritest word ever, if I hear it one more time from him I'm going to puke

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
« Reply #562 on: 13 Nov 2015, 11:26 »

So, any notion on when this'll go from tech demo to a game yet?

Lyn Farel

« Reply #563 on: 13 Nov 2015, 13:26 »

Like every game, when it's done?

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
« Reply #564 on: 13 Nov 2015, 14:09 »

"every game" doesn't let you buy it, push a fuckton of ships at you at exorbitant prices, and so on. This does. It's marketing its pay store more than any released game I've ever seen.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #565 on: 13 Nov 2015, 15:48 »

It's not like they force you to pay anything though..

I'm not a big fan of their marketing methods, but they seem to bear fruit.

Personally I bought a few ships to support the crowd funding process, what I estimate to be the sum it is worth for me to put into as a financial backup. If it fails, it fails. That's what investment means.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #566 on: 13 Nov 2015, 17:19 »

So, any notion on when this'll go from tech demo to a game yet?

The first release of a sandbox solar system with some missions, space stations, pvp and fps and eva activites etc should be out in a week or two. This will have the first large 'multicrew' ships you can goof off in with your friends.

This solar system will be upgraded as they introduce features (mining, salvage, et ), and also start linking to the planet side landing zones.

I have no idea when the mmo will go live probably in 2089.  But this release they are calling 2.0 will have all of the core gameplay and enough to entertain people for a long long time
« Last Edit: 13 Nov 2015, 17:21 by Silas Vitalia »

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #567 on: 19 Nov 2015, 16:22 »

TONS of stuff today for the anniversary live stream:

"Crafter's" dream, look at how involved the 'repair' mechanics are! Going to be whole profession for this along with dedicated ships (The Crucible, etc)

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/engineering/15062-Ship-Repair-And-Maintenance

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #568 on: 19 Nov 2015, 16:30 »

HYPE TRAIN BOARDING.

2.0 is LIVE on the test servers tonight.

So this is all in-game as of tonight: missions, exploration, pvp, etc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhksNNhxRjs
« Last Edit: 20 Nov 2015, 14:36 by Silas Vitalia »

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #569 on: 19 Nov 2015, 16:38 »

Oh also here's Mark Hamil finally:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjSXcdvd-ME
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 44