Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That 'Ancestors choke!' is a Caldari expression of disbelief or astonishment?

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 44

Author Topic: Star Citizen - from the producer of Wing Commander  (Read 101396 times)

Samira Kernher

• Soulless Puppet
  • Veteran
  • Ardishapur Victor
Re: Star Citizen - from the producer of Wing Commander
« Reply #345 on: 06 Mar 2015, 03:05 »

Not sure if this was posted already. It's apparently from November but I just saw it now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4AqSesoQyc

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #346 on: 06 Mar 2015, 11:31 »

Yea not a bad preview :)

You'll be pleased to know the FPS will be playable at PAX this weekend, and there will be a lot of new videos from the show.

FPS module should be released very soon, with some fun levels, one of which is a direct 'omage' to Ender's Game 'battle room', a giant 360 zero g battle sphere.  They have done a ton of work on 'procedural' fps tech to allow you to hand hold and grip surfaces when approaching from any angle in zero g, along with gameplay to 'spring' push off in another direction after landing.  There will be kit of course to have jets on your suit for maneuvering but those will give penalties in other areas.  Other kit will eventually include mag-boots, etc.

This will be important because many of the ships and stations to be fought over will have player-controlled defenses such as turning gravity off, sealable bulkheads, security lockdowns, etc.

Expect to be playing this in the next week or two I think at the most :)

« Last Edit: 06 Mar 2015, 11:35 by Silas Vitalia »

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #347 on: 08 Mar 2015, 17:24 »

good stuff this weekend from PAX EAST presentation:

New destructible ship tech:
http://youtu.be/FSNjPXMMqCE?t=5m47s

Optimized as algorithms now instead of having to do all the different damage states ahead of time for different ship parts. Very cool.   It's super nice, so where you get shot up is where it get's shot up on the ship, effecting ship pipelines like fuel, power, etc.

And teh sexeh:

Re-introduction of the very cool long range bomber Retaliator.  I am continually impressed with the insane amount of detail and polish put into these things:
All in engine, to better melt your video card.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxEWc6IvtQc

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #348 on: 08 Mar 2015, 17:31 »

They showed off a lot of the personal armor but this one will be where I'm headed.  Beefy heavy 'outlaw' variety:

I was hoping a bit less 'tie fighter' and more 'trooper' sort of helmet but we'll see...

Lyn Farel

« Reply #349 on: 09 Mar 2015, 05:45 »

The bomber details are nice.

I don't like their armor set. It's bland, souless, and trite... better than dust, but trite.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #350 on: 16 Mar 2015, 14:52 »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbZLbb0_RBI

latest little trailer they showed for SXSW.  You'll see more of the mocap work coming along, although an obvious lack of hair on 90% of the npcs (space baldness is a thing).

Anyway coming along nicely.  FPS should be in a few weeks, 1.1 patch this week.  'social module' (multiplayer hangars and some of the early planetside areas) next month or so, and the big kahuka holy grail patch of multi-crew combat ships this summer.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #351 on: 16 Mar 2015, 15:03 »

It sure looks pretty and immersive. Good showcase of where they are right now.

In before lag to death when more than 10 characters with 50k tris each will be on the same scene.  :lol:

Victoria Stecker

• Pod Captain
« Reply #352 on: 17 Mar 2015, 09:59 »

So far, they've done a pretty good job with LOD stuff. For example, in space, you really don't have too many issues with graphics lag even though there are a dozen ships with a metric fuck-tonne of detail.

Of course, they haven't done anything like this for a the hangar, which can bring my computer to a grinding crawl (which will get even worse when the retaliator shows up). But hopefully they'll include it for the social module.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #353 on: 17 Mar 2015, 10:22 »

So far, they've done a pretty good job with LOD stuff. For example, in space, you really don't have too many issues with graphics lag even though there are a dozen ships with a metric fuck-tonne of detail.

Of course, they haven't done anything like this for a the hangar, which can bring my computer to a grinding crawl (which will get even worse when the retaliator shows up). But hopefully they'll include it for the social module.

The hangar thing is indeed an issue, but it just hasn't been redone. I forget the specific issue but it's something like hangar incorrectly forcing GPU to process EVERYTHING and not just what you see.... = meltdown.

Same thing in AC with Cutlass.  Enters match drops framerate for everyone..

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #354 on: 20 Mar 2015, 14:02 »

There's been a lot of stealth patching going on and some new abilities people have been digging up.

So they've added functionality now where you can get out of your ship on some maps and ping at them with a handgun, and combined with a friend flying the ship you get out of, starting to get all of the pieces in place.

https://gfycat.com/TameDisguisedDevilfish

When they release all the mod tools, going to be so much awesome fan movies.

Maybe some ambitious nerds will import Eve ship models into the SC engine / characters and we'll get the eve movies we've always wanted :)

1.1 Patch should be out today, which along with another new ship will release the 'REC' rental system. 

Basically for Star Citizen's SISI/Arcade mode, you can earn points and use them to try out any weapons or ships rather than buying them in the 'real' game world.

Points are cross-module, so if you earn points in the FPS arena or the spaceship pew pew arena, you can apply them to either.

Upcoming FPS modes:, and someone can correct me if I'm missing some?

Counterstrike Style 8v8 (I think or was it 16v16?) rounds with one life each, you die and you wait until next round
Capture the Flag?
Ender's Game zero-G battle arena, exactly the same as enders game, laser pistols to freeze limbs and you win by elimination or crossing the opponent's gate.  Super fun.
Regular respawn deathmatch I think?

Upcoming AC 2.0 mode
'Capture the IDRIS' which will finally marry the FPS and Spaceship pew pew, two teams fight and defend a capital ship, involving taking the sheilds down, punching holes in the exterior, landing boarding parties, and capturing the hull on foot. 

Capture the IDRIS is sort of the holy grail of sci fi games for me, combining huge fleet pew pew and ground pounders working in tandem.

Davien Kaahtt

• Clonejack
« Reply #355 on: 21 Mar 2015, 13:04 »

I.
Am.
So.
Excited.
About.
This.

My only concern with this, is if I will actually play the game, or end up doing the equivalent in hangar ship spinning as I did in Eve. Furthermore, with permadeath, it may be difficult to get any RPing in.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #356 on: 21 Mar 2015, 13:23 »

We will see how long you can reasonably stick to one character before permadying... I guess we will have to adapt RP towards more disposable characters.

Which is good and bad at the same time, since it asks for a lot of efforts into creating new, interesting one, and forces you to trash character concepts that you may have cared a lot about over time...

Davien Kaahtt

• Clonejack
« Reply #357 on: 21 Mar 2015, 13:35 »

but... I like my character...
:(

So, who all is playing SC right now?

Gwen Ikiryo

• Omelette
« Reply #358 on: 21 Mar 2015, 21:21 »

Over on the star citizen RP forums, about 50% people were just talking about rerolling their same characters if they permadie, since there's no stats to distinguish them.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #359 on: 21 Mar 2015, 21:41 »

Over on the star citizen RP forums, about 50% people were just talking about rerolling their same characters if they permadie, since there's no stats to distinguish them.

I think I'll approach it from the 'family' sort of thing, with each new character just being part of the clan.

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 44