Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The main ingredients in Protein Delicacies were in fact organic waste, processed station sewage and second grade biomass? For more, read here.

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Walking in Space: Extra-Vehicular Activities  (Read 3422 times)

Reyd Karris

Re: Walking in Space: Extra-Vehicular Activities
« Reply #15 on: 09 Oct 2012, 23:59 »

But we still can't get WIS.

Which was mostly completed and working in some form.

:psyccp:
If they do this right, they can optimize it using slightly lower quality models (as full WiS avatars are resource intensive). That optimization can then slowly be applied to WiS in general, allowing for social areas and improved performance in general. Of course they'll also be fighting the whole "you're taking resources away from ships!" argument. As it is, I can run "FiS" pretty good. It's getting out of the pod and walking around that makes my computer try to start a fire, as well as being pretty much pointless. You can do everything from the ship, and walking around to different consoles wastes valuable time that could be used making ISK. This adds something to the game that could actually expand the player base.

I'm assuming two or three years after development is fully underway on the feature, about the time I'll be able to afford a new graphics card, they'll have this set to go. By then they'll also know how successful DUST 514 is, and we'll probably see AURUM armor, weapons and equipment available at launch. Heck, why couldn't they just use the same suits, etc. as DUST soldiers? Mercenary contracts for boarding parties, etc.

They could almost bill this as a separate game within EVE, and potentially fund development with AURUM, without even taking resources away from EVE.

/bean_counter_rant

Long and the short of it, I see it as nothing but a positive for EVE. However there might be some backlash if what I predict will happen actually happens.

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #16 on: 10 Oct 2012, 00:51 »

EDIT: I just thought of something - if high-tech circuitry is damaged or disrupted by EM fields in these things, wouldn't our own capsuleer implants be driven haywire by going in there, even inside the EVA suit? If not, why can't they slap the equivalent of an EVA suit on a drone and do it that way? :|
This video, at the 0:56 mark explains the basic concept.

:D

No, no - I know what a Faraday cage is as well. :P What I'm asking is, if you can successfully isolate a capsuleer inside of the EVA suit - through a Faraday Cage or a personal shield bubble or whatever - enough that their implants are no longer affected by the environment, why can't you do the same to a drone? What is different about a human in a suit that you couldn't wrap the same material around a drone chassis.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Reyd Karris

« Reply #17 on: 10 Oct 2012, 01:53 »

No, no - I know what a Faraday cage is as well. :P What I'm asking is, if you can successfully isolate a capsuleer inside of the EVA suit - through a Faraday Cage or a personal shield bubble or whatever - enough that their implants are no longer affected by the environment, why can't you do the same to a drone? What is different about a human in a suit that you couldn't wrap the same material around a drone chassis.
It's part of the main conceit of the setting; why have a capsule when you could do the same with advanced computers? Why have a human in a capsule when you could potentially just hook someone into a neural rigged chair, and use fluid routers to communicate to a properly fitted drone ship? Because humans just have that unique something that allows them to adapt to situations and project their will upon the universe.

More simple answer? The player has to be important, and therefore, their character must be. So, capsuleer goes dungeon crawling in ancient Sleeper/Jove/Cartel/Sansha ruins in order to gain vast wealth, and must deal with other humans in the whole "everyone vs. everyone" scenario that is EVE Online.

It wouldn't be an awesome exploration adventure if you weren't going in there, being all visceral and such blowing drones and other people apart into their constituent atoms.

:bear:

Gesakaarin

« Reply #18 on: 10 Oct 2012, 05:38 »

Whilst I'd love to be able to open that little door to the outside world in stations and maybe get other environments like customizable corporate/alliance suites and the like to play around in while docked I'm not really sold on the EVA stuff because it just feels odd not having a capsuleer in their actual capsules while in space. Isn't that what disposable red-shirts are for?

Although it would be hilarious being able to ship-jack people while they're silly enough to leave their spaceships hanging around and stranding them in the middle of an abandoned ruin. How can they clone then without their precious neural burners? The thought did make me chuckle a bit.

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
  • The untraditional traditionalist
« Reply #19 on: 10 Oct 2012, 06:23 »

Whilst I'd love to be able to open that little door to the outside world in stations and maybe get other environments like customizable corporate/alliance suites and the like to play around in while docked I'm not really sold on the EVA stuff because it just feels odd not having a capsuleer in their actual capsules while in space. Isn't that what disposable red-shirts are for?

Although it would be hilarious being able to ship-jack people while they're silly enough to leave their spaceships hanging around and stranding them in the middle of an abandoned ruin. How can they clone then without their precious neural burners? The thought did make me chuckle a bit.

Capsule is still locked into the ship. Might not be anyone in it, but yours will not fit in the ship anyway.

Now, blowing the ship up is another thing altogether...  :twisted:

Rok-Yuni

• Egger
« Reply #20 on: 10 Oct 2012, 06:34 »

Hmmmz...

But i always thought that if Yuni were to decide to go to a planet or station, she'd simply step into her ACU and start building a vast army to do her bidding.. :P

either like this
[spoiler][/spoiler]
or this (image too big, do a 'view image' on it to see it properly... can't remember the HTML to shrink an image to a percentage of the screen width.. :P )
[spoiler][/spoiler]

YuniCybran ftw.
« Last Edit: 10 Oct 2012, 06:38 by Rok-Yuni »

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
« Reply #21 on: 10 Oct 2012, 07:06 »

@ off-topic.

Those don't look like SUPCOM2, are they making another game?

/@ off-topic.

Rok-Yuni

• Egger
« Reply #22 on: 10 Oct 2012, 07:43 »

@ off-topic.

Those don't look like SUPCOM2, are they making another game?

/@ off-topic.

I think they were both simply Fanart... but i do hope they do more SupCom games...

i'll look into it and see what i can dig up, when i have the time :) ... still.. YuniACU would be great... and would stomp all over many DUSTies....

EDIT:

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2162452

that was quick.

ok, jokes aside.. i'll look into seeing if i can find any real info soon.
« Last Edit: 10 Oct 2012, 07:45 by Rok-Yuni »

lallara zhuul

• Now with rainbows and butterflies.
  • Veteran
« Reply #23 on: 10 Oct 2012, 08:42 »

The problem for me is the hype words in the OP.

Its a lot of hype with no content whatsoever.

The biggest fallacy of the whole idea is that EVA will bring more meaningful gameplay into the world of EVE.

At the moment there is none.

They should fix that first.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
« Reply #24 on: 10 Oct 2012, 10:32 »

The problem for me is the hype words in the OP.

Its a lot of hype with no content whatsoever.

The biggest fallacy of the whole idea is that EVA will bring more meaningful gameplay into the world of EVE.

At the moment there is none.

They should fix that first.

Bold is mine. This is your opinion, presented as a fact. It isn't one. Clearly all the null-bears disagree on your assessment of what 'meaningful gameplay' is. So does everyone who partakes in Free Welfare, industry-related activities and so on.

Personally I think EVA trips will be great, if implemented well, and I also think Bringing the Factional Warfare back to FW will be good, if they manage that, and I like the industry side even if I've only dabbled in it.

I would still not go out and claim that anything I'm not overly fond of, like say piracy and overt griefing, is not 'meaningful gameplay', as that would be stating my personal views as facts.

Rok-Yuni

• Egger
« Reply #25 on: 10 Oct 2012, 13:25 »

I have to agree with bloodbird here.

If i was to argue semantics regarding your statement, there is no such thing as 'meaningful gameplay' .. it's a game, based in a fictional universe over 20,000 years into the future.

but that's a totally different point.

my thoughts, actually bringing another aspect of item construction away from the NPC market and into the hands of capsuleers is a good thing. The implant market is one of the few parts of the ISK marketplace that is not controlled (almost) entirely by players.

The EVA suit itself will likely be a modified DUST exo-suit. which will require manufacturing, and might allow some of the 'lower skill' manufacturing toons out there to get an edge in the marketplace by creating these. not to mention the fittings and armament for the thing.

It brings Avatars into eve properly.
A lack of Avatar content is one of the biggest immersion breakers there has always been in EvE.
I spent a good portion of my early days in eve thinking that we eggers were permanently sealed into those capsules. much like the ship 'brains' in certain Anne McCaffery (spelling?) books.
(yes, i have been playing on and off for a very long time).

Finally, it is, as has been stated, a good stepping stone towards getting the holy grail that is ambulation into EvE.... so, there's 4 meaningful points. 3 of which relate to gameplay this will open up, and the 4th to something (or things) it will make possible in the future.
--------------------
Though, there is a point regarding PF i'd like to make here... the capsule. according to the data in TEA, there is only one ship in the cluster that was designed with an internally openable Pod Gantry.... and that was pilotted by Marcus Jror... unless they are changing that bit of PF, i'm guessing we'll be using remote-clones for our EVA jaunts. Which does mean our ships would 'technically' remain safe... as we're still in them.

Yuni-Rok-Toluijin

Lyn Farel

« Reply #26 on: 10 Oct 2012, 13:51 »

My character would definitly do such crazy things. However I don't like at all their "dungeon-monster-treasure-loot" approach, even if the atmosphere they are looking for is attractive.

I prefered 100 times black market activities in the low security areas of a station, like presented before Incarna.

Myyona

• Spilling beans
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #27 on: 10 Oct 2012, 13:52 »

Do not like it.

I am having a very hard time buying that an instanced battleground scenario captures the feeling of EVE (the sandbox). Also, it does not require a higher degree in software development to be able to see that where EVE avatars technology is today (the part that has been shown at least) and what it would require in man-hours to realize this proposed game concept is in the thousands. The only surprising part is that CCP did not conclude this almost immediately.

Do the multiplayer part first before spending huge efforts at creating PvE mechanics, which people will end up ignoring when faced with the possibility to interact with another player. It does not matter how much radiation they stuff in there; people will still turn it into a nightclub.

Sure I am a bitter vet, but I read this "blog" as nothing more than: "We have been wasting time on a game concept that you know from your average themepark MMO, but we are calling it something else and claiming that a sandbox is all about competitive play (like GW2). We will now excuse ourselves from wasting anymore time on WiS by claiming "spaceships", and be relieved that nobody can again claim we do not have any plans for avatar based gameplay. If they do, we will point to this amazing concept presented here, well knowing that it could only be implemented if we tripled the number of developers in the company."

I think Torfi is playing all the wrong games at the moment.
EVE Online Lorebook at eve-inspiracy.com

Lyn Farel

« Reply #28 on: 10 Oct 2012, 13:58 »

Anyway this blog sounds more like yet another "I had a dream" to me than anything else.

lallara zhuul

• Now with rainbows and butterflies.
  • Veteran
« Reply #29 on: 11 Oct 2012, 04:16 »

Oh shit I got totally burned.

There is not a single MMO out there where you can 'make your mark' on a game through your actions permanently.
(In the golden age of EVE some rare and few individuals could.)

Only thing that you can affect permanently in a game like EVE is the hearts and minds of the players.

Which unfortunately in a game like EVE come out scarred.

Yes, there is a very good argument about running a corporation compared to any guild in any other MMO and how much it actually takes real leadership skills instead of just creating a website for the guild and having voice comms to have karaoke in.
Yes, to be successful in EVE via market manipulation you have to develop skills that are quite useful for you in real business.
Yes, the PR side of things is very similar to real world and you learn shitloads about good and bad marketing via EVE.

There are many aspects of EVE that actually educate you.

I don't know if it is a good thing that the education comes at a cost, although paying that price might be a lesson in itself.

For some reason that price is not something that I am constantly willing to pay for CCPs vision (or lack) of meaningful gameplay which is related to their pipedream of making EVE into the supreme sci-fi simulator via using similar motivators that are presented to us in real life.

Gathering ISK, new shinies, skills, dominating other players are not something that I would qualify as 'meaningful gameplay'.

That is not a sci-fi simulator, that is a real life simulator.

If I would have interest in those motivators, I would pursue them in real life, not in a game.

So, in my perspective, there is no 'meaningful gameplay' in EVE.

Only thing meaningful are the people, and you can interact with people in a myriad ways that are more constructive and fun than EVE.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!
Pages: 1 [2] 3