Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Quafe is so popular it once prevented a war? Read more in the Chron

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Friendly reminder on reporting  (Read 4042 times)

scagga

• Everything for Vaari
  • Pod Captain
Re: Friendly reminder on reporting
« Reply #15 on: 16 Oct 2012, 17:36 »

Contrary to cultivating an atmosphere and debate and friendliness, this over-moderation is serving to cultivate an under-the-skin problem of veiled hostility, back-biting and contrary to keeping IC and OOC seperate, it can, in the worst case become part of the reason why IC grudges become OOC, and OOC grudges blend into IC.

You do understand what the forum that Backstage replaced was like, don't you?

And don't let Mr Jones ever come back!

Myyona

• Spilling beans
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #16 on: 17 Oct 2012, 05:15 »

I really like the moderation here.

I do not remember posting much on chatsubo but I once went and read some of the old topics there. An unpleasent experience.
EVE Online Lorebook at eve-inspiracy.com

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #17 on: 17 Oct 2012, 12:13 »

I like it. It teaches me to be like "Wow, easy there bud" with my posts, and offers a bit of self-reflection through the light humiliation of having your post catacombed.

However, sometimes I feel myself guilty of 'worming around the system'...maybe others do it too. In which case, the lack of moderation when you worm around the rules can be counter to the forum's intended purpose. In the end, that just reflects on me though.

Nicoletta Mithra

• Veteran
« Reply #18 on: 03 Dec 2012, 21:42 »

As to the chatsubo-backstage compairsion:

I've never really been active on chatsubo, but I read some threads on them and I am honestly of the opinion that there were some threads with a quality that is quite rarely - if at all - reached here on backstage. It's true on the other hand that there were loads of threads which were so much below the mid-line that I didn't read them a lot because they were barely bearable, imho.

As to measuring backstage by the yardstick of chatsubo or not: I don't think that one ex- or precludes the other. As, as has been pointed out here, backstage was started in reaction to what was going on on chatsubo, it's a legit way of measuring backstage by the status of the late chatsubo. Still, on the other hand it should be also able to stand on it's own merits.

I, as someone who hasn't used chatsubo actively, don't see how I'm obliged to be grateful for being 'safed' from experiencing chatsubo or why I should feel 'blessed' because I have a moderated forum - especially not more or less so than someone who did experience chatsubo. Getting told that I have to feel like that, that I should 'consider myself blessed' feels quite like being patronized and is really one of the big problems I have with the EVE community - there is, I feel, a strong tendency of older players to be patronizing towards younger players, especially with those players who're mainly into pvp and have a track record of success in that department. (I also personally feel that moderation is more lax in regard to old, established players versus new people, though that is to be expected in a relatively small, tight-knit community.  Still, I think that backstage is quite balanced in that regard, moreso than I'd expect from experience and I'd like to give cudos to the moderators for that, while on the same time raising awareness for that as the opportunity presents itself here, as it's still something one could work on in my opinion.)

So, I feel like a criticism that aims at whether backstage can stand on it's own or can/should be improved in one or another way shouldn't be merely responded to with something along the lines of 'but in respect to chatsubo it's a success'. The latter might - and I think is - true, but it's imho just not the proper response. There are many good things about backstage and I'm happy to have it. I'm also thankful to the moderators for the job they do largely to the vast profit of the community. I still think, though, that there's room for improvement - on both sides, of course, the moderators as well as the moderated, but standing on one side makes me see especially the failings of the other, I guess.
Pages: 1 [2]