Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That the Sebiestor has embraced the pet-name Sinister Ones, given to them by the Amarr? Read more here

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: A Gift  (Read 3006 times)

Norrin Ellis

A Gift
« on: 22 Sep 2012, 06:34 »

I have played EVE on and off since late 2004.  Those of you who know me well also know that I have generally maintained that EVE essentially brings out the worst in people.  Nevertheless, I keep coming back over and over because there are always some people that make my little corner of space rather bright compared to the rest of the cold, dark universe.  Unfortunately, I don't really do much in EVE, so returning the favor or paying it forward hasn't necessarily been easy.

Recent events have left me uninterested in continuing to play Norrin Ellis as an RP character.  He's little more than just a wallet for the money I've earned as a banker at EVE Online Hold'Em.  Real life also demands a great deal of my time lately.  I find that I have a fairly large pile of ISK and nothing that I really want; I have every material good I desire to obtain.

More to the point, I find my current situation in EVE presents an opportunity to do something nice for one lucky pilot.  Therefore, I will be giving away 20 billion ISK.  The problem, however, is that I have not considered any selection criteria whatsoever, so I would like some suggestions.

I like to think I'll find someone that might pay it forward someday.  After all, if not for the generosity that other people have extended to me, I wouldn't have much to give away.  I considered simply choosing a friend, but my experience in EVE has taught me that today's friend is tomorrow's enemy.

Please feel free to share your thoughts on establishing some basis for making a decision.  Also, please refrain from "give it to me" comments.

ArtOfLight

• Retired Combat Pilot
  • Omelette
  • Bright Stars, Clear Horizons
Re: A Gift
« Reply #1 on: 22 Sep 2012, 07:28 »

Well, my first suggestion would be give it away privately. Particularly if you have a few people that would consider themselves your friends and you only give it to one of them (despite that it's your right to).

Beyond that, perhaps have people write a story about Norrin (or anything really) and pay them commission for it?

I'm not particularly good at the ideas, I've never had a substantial quantity of anything enough to give it away, especially not ISK. :)

We only spoke a few times, mostly on matters of religion and faith. My biggest reason for responding is that I wanted to let you know I'll be praying for you to have a pleasant and prosperous future and manage to have fun doing so.
"A man's courage can be measured by what he does, his wisdom by what he chooses not to do and his character by the sum of both."

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #2 on: 22 Sep 2012, 08:44 »

If you want groups that "pay it forward", Sindel Pellion's Angel Project is a good choice. She doesn't RP so if you were looking to do so with someone who does, it might not be the best option - but she spends a lot of time running around and finding new people who need a hand.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #3 on: 22 Sep 2012, 10:55 »

You can also keep it for the future if you decide to come back again...

Gottii

• A Booty-full Mind
  • Veteran
« Reply #4 on: 22 Sep 2012, 11:13 »

My suggestion would be to use criteria like "must be a Brutor" and "name must rhyme with Bottii".
"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"
― Isaac Asimov

Norrin Ellis

« Reply #5 on: 22 Sep 2012, 11:22 »

You can also keep it for the future if you decide to come back again...

I'm not really going anywhere.  My main account is paid until June or July.  My other account has enough PLEX on hand to keep running just as long.  The cash in question is only about half what I have on hand.  I really just want to give it to someone that can get more use out of it than me.

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
  • The untraditional traditionalist
« Reply #6 on: 22 Sep 2012, 12:23 »

Privately select a few (10-15) RP corps small and down-about enough that they might actually NEED the isk. Ask them quietly what they do and how they operate. Those that (for all intents and purposes) work to boost their fellow members and what they do, say like building ships for members to use for free, missioning or mining of FW-plexing together or whatever in to get by. Essentially, those that aim to play the game and have fun together being active, not just enriching their personal wallets to do nothing in particular.

Then divide, say, 1-2 billion among their members so that each get's about 100-200 million, at most. You can use EVE-who to find the names of all their corp-members.

This way your money won't just be hoarded by some individual or greedy CEO somewhere and will go to several in numbers that are not overwhelming, but overall helpful. A corp of ten who all get 200 million is a corp that can lose A LOT of small ships in pursuit of their entertainment. Or a few bigger ones. Or help get all those high-end minerals they need to build even more ships.

Don't even have to be RP'ers only, really. Just whatever you do, don't dump it all on one lone guy somewhere, EVER. 20 billion in one guy' pocket is iing on the Ihavebillionsallready cake, or loads of money in some poor guy's pocket that will burn it's way out in the form of some idiotically pimped faction-something lost to a gank-party in low-sec or null, thus feeding someone other than what you intended.

Also; you bastard. If I were fortunate to hava 40 billion+ I'd use it myself, buy BPO's and a pos and mods and do research and acquire assets.

Hell I'd likely enact my long-standing pipe-dream of funding and founding my own corp somewhere. Here you are giving away half your money on a whim, you bastard. :cry: :evil:

Hah, I'm totally joking. Your awesome, I just hope your isk benefits more than one guy somewhere.

Myyona

• Spilling beans
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #7 on: 22 Sep 2012, 15:20 »

Hm, if I had 20 billions ISK and was planning to retire my character I would probably make some kind of puzzle game with awards along the way.
EVE Online Lorebook at eve-inspiracy.com

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #8 on: 22 Sep 2012, 16:22 »

Give it away privately, and under the condition the person you give it to doesn't share that they have it at all.  Nothing makes RPers more bitter than having someone they know come into a windfall and not share.   8)

Or make some specific criteria here that is RP related (like writing a story, or making some artwork, etc), and judge based on that. 

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
« Reply #9 on: 22 Sep 2012, 16:30 »

Silver Night's "It's a Big Cluster" fund was a great use of excess ISK.  Basically, allow people to bring RP and/or worldbuilding stuff to your attention anonymously and you reward those projects you think worthy in whatever amount you find appropriate.  This effectively invests in a richer, bigger, and better-played world.  This is what I think you should do with the cash.  Become the curator of an RP "genius grant" program.

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #10 on: 22 Sep 2012, 16:35 »

Silver Night's "It's a Big Cluster" fund was a great use of excess ISK.  Basically, allow people to bring RP and/or worldbuilding stuff to your attention anonymously and you reward those projects you think worthy in whatever amount you find appropriate.  This effectively invests in a richer, bigger, and better-played world.  This is what I think you should do with the cash.  Become the curator of an RP "genius grant" program.

That actually sounds like a really amazing use of it.
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

NISYN Aelisha

« Reply #11 on: 22 Sep 2012, 16:53 »

Gotta say that Ken's comment would have appeal to me if I were looking to offload a similar sum.  Though I must say I never really thought the RP community was much for wealth envy, Silas, unless I am missing some sarcasm.  At least I hope most people in the RP community aren't too bothered saying I know a good portion of them are independently wealthy (ranging from 'too obscene for TV' wealth to more modest sums of 10 billion +). 

As for you Norrin, I think the one piece of universal advice here has been to keep your final decision personal and private.  Especially if you continue to accrue such sums as a part of your banking; it will prevent callers-at-the-door and keep your philanthropy all the more rewarding.  If you were anyone else I would have suggested hiring some high-quality mercs for lulz, but this seems much more in keeping with your character IC and OOC.  Fly safe Norrin.

hellgremlin

• Pathological liar, do not believe
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #12 on: 22 Sep 2012, 18:02 »

Give it to me, and I'll use it to hurt people.

Khloe

• Silent Watcher
  • Egger
« Reply #13 on: 22 Sep 2012, 21:04 »

Buy millions of ponies.

Victoria Stecker

• Pod Captain
« Reply #14 on: 22 Sep 2012, 22:33 »

Look up Mike Azariah (you probably know him) and tell him to turn it into ships to give away. that's a lotta ships, should keep him busy for a while.
Pages: [1] 2