Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

the 25ers were a political activist organization that fought for repealing starship licensing fees, laying the foundations for the independent capsuleer community.

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 33

Author Topic: Character Portrait Rating  (Read 112564 times)

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
Re: Character Portrait Rating
« Reply #165 on: 18 Jun 2013, 10:19 »

Anslo looks far too, just...neat, given the way you RP. I'd give him some 5 o'clock shadow and muss his hair. Also, I've never seen you mention his face tattoo ICly, which is odd considering how frequently you mention his back tattoo. If it has so little/no IC meaning, I'd say remove it, as it makes his face look rather crowded. Also maybe look at turning up the scarring slider if you have a remap available.

And maybe mess with the background/pose, dunno, something about the overall composition seems off, but I can't quite put my finger on it.
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Anslol

« Reply #166 on: 18 Jun 2013, 10:36 »

Well the face tattoo gets no mention cause..well everyone can see it. If I could make the full body portrait show his back tattoos and bandages, I'd never mention them once...but sadly, I'm annoyingly obsessed with creating imagery via words. The 5 o'clock shadow might not be a bad idea...I tried it once though and it looked odd on him, but maybe I can do something else.

Now the scarring, I agree with you. I'll look into that and see what's up. But you're overall correct. I do need to update his portrait with something. What? I dunno.

I'll just do what I always do. Flail my arms and hope to Gods something good happens.

Aldrith Shutaq

• Fleet Captain
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #167 on: 18 Jun 2013, 10:49 »

Has anyone had an Aldy lately?

Laria Raven

• Evil. In a dappy way. Kind of dappy-evil.
  • Wetgraver
    • All Alone In The Night
« Reply #168 on: 18 Jun 2013, 10:52 »

@Aldy - it feels like you're using the detail of the Carbon engine really well here - there's interesting lines on his face. I'd shift his direction of gaze to a fraction more away from the camera.

I like the shadowed eyes, too. (As opposed to eye-shadow, which would look odd)

Saede Riordan > Yeah and Leopold is the human pond scum. Laria's alright...ish.

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #169 on: 18 Jun 2013, 10:55 »

Has anyone had an Aldy lately?
No, because :mitara:!  :evil:

Still my favorite always-out-of-reach Ni-kunni prettyboy, though.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Ciarente

• Owner of the thickest rose-colored glasses in the Cluster
  • The Mods
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #170 on: 18 Jun 2013, 11:24 »

Saede, that's fantastic.  Aldy makes me think of a shampoo commercial but I suspect that's just Gottii's influence :P Seriously though the way you work the shadows in the char gen is fantastic.  I've always liked morwen's expression in her portrait but I've never liked that eye shadow.  Gottii, bring back the sunglasses!  Mitara, I like the portrait except I never imagined Mitty with brown gloss lipstick vov

Mine tend to have fairly similar poses and lighting because, well, I found one I liked ...

Cia, of course. I'm still not loving the hair (wai such bad hair options, CCP? wai? WAI?)

Camille, now on the cusp of adolescence

My deteis scientist

and her ex

My Brutor

and of course John "Jack" Prudence Madison

Silver Night > I feel like we should keep Cia in reserve. A little bit for Cia's sanity, but mostly because her putting on her mod hat is like calling in Rommel to deal with a paintball game.

Steffanie Saissore

• Knight Commander (in training)
  • Omelette
  • Lawful Good Pirate
    • Ebon Rose Forum
« Reply #171 on: 18 Jun 2013, 11:35 »

I have to say that I like everyone's portraits.

This is Steff's current portrait:

Ellisif Sinulf (sebbie tinker extraordinaire):

Morriganna Virpio (Caldari corporate security yes-man):

Though, not 100% happy with Morri's overall appearance at the moment.
"And if the music stops, there's only the sound of the rain.  All the hope and glory, all the sacrifice in vain.  And if love remains though everything is lost, we will pay the price, but we will not count the cost."

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
« Reply #172 on: 18 Jun 2013, 11:55 »

I have to say that I like everyone's portraits.

This is Steff's current portrait:

I used to use lots of black makeup on Katrina all the time, until I got rid of the black lipstick and really enjoyed the results. I think you could consider using lighter makeup on her lips and eyes, and tone down the opacity of her tattoo since it's such a large one. I'm not sure if this is possible with her hairstyle, but I'd also suggest a white or blonde root color instead of black. Consider switching to a more colorful shirt as well, or a lighter color perhaps.

I like how she looks, but the heavy dark and bright contrast seems to get in the way of an otherwise very pretty face.

Arnulf Ogunkoya

• Moral Compass (apparently)
  • Pod Captain
    • Livejournal profile
« Reply #173 on: 18 Jun 2013, 12:00 »

Morri is in severe need of breast reduction surgery. I know at least one lady with a similar build in reality. She is always complaining of back pain. I think the only reason she hasn't had hers reduced yet is the time & expense involved.
Kind Regards,
Arnulf Ogunkoya.

Steffanie Saissore

• Omelette
  • Lawful Good Pirate
    • Ebon Rose Forum
« Reply #174 on: 18 Jun 2013, 12:03 »

Morri is in severe need of breast reduction surgery. I know at least one lady with a similar build in reality. She is always complaining of back pain. I think the only reason she hasn't had hers reduced yet is the time & expense involved.

Yeah, like I said, I'm not pleased with how the end result came out (eyes the biomass button)
"And if the music stops, there's only the sound of the rain.  All the hope and glory, all the sacrifice in vain.  And if love remains though everything is lost, we will pay the price, but we will not count the cost."

Steffanie Saissore

• Omelette
  • Lawful Good Pirate
    • Ebon Rose Forum
« Reply #175 on: 18 Jun 2013, 12:05 »

I used to use lots of black makeup on Katrina all the time, until I got rid of the black lipstick and really enjoyed the results. I think you could consider using lighter makeup on her lips and eyes, and tone down the opacity of her tattoo since it's such a large one. I'm not sure if this is possible with her hairstyle, but I'd also suggest a white or blonde root color instead of black. Consider switching to a more colorful shirt as well, or a lighter color perhaps.

I like how she looks, but the heavy dark and bright contrast seems to get in the way of an otherwise very pretty face.

Some good points and something that I'll likely take a closer look at especially since the initial concept (gothy party girl) got tossed aside for something quite different

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #176 on: 18 Jun 2013, 12:15 »

I think that's more a function of the angle and the pose that Steff picked for Morri. You can make 'washboard' characters look pretty big using the hands-on-your-hips poses and the right camera angle/lighting. I'd consider changing the pose to start and see where that goes.

Steff definitely could use a lighter shade of lipstick and things than black, imo - I do find it funny that she basically uses the exact same combination as Morwen, just in a different color. It's kinda cute, given ~things~ :D

Eli is pretty much perfect as she is, imo.

Cia Clan:
- Cia: Agreed on the hair. I miss our old Intaki hairstyles. :(
- Camille: Aside from the way the glasses sit on her head (they feel like they're too high over her ears), she's great. Gives the right attitude/age impression.
- Noli: One of the few characters that pulls off the "white" eyes thing really well.
- Noli's ex: This one I find a little creepy. But that's because she looks eerily similar to my ex. :eek:
- Ciabrutor (Gaer Anansi iirc?): How many miles to Chicago is it again? :3
- Jack: I haven't seen Jack around in ages, I'd almost forgotten he existed. The expression feels a little uncanny valley to me but I think that's just the ever-present "cheekbones, more like derpbones" that come out of Carbon.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Steffanie Saissore

• Omelette
  • Lawful Good Pirate
    • Ebon Rose Forum
« Reply #177 on: 18 Jun 2013, 12:52 »

I am quite happy with how Elli turned out.  Think I'll play around with Steff's appearance tonight.
When I did take a closer look at Morwen's picture, I had a good laugh seeing how the tattoo and eye makeup were the exact same style.  And this was done before I had even met Morwen.  :D

Shintoko Akahoshi

• Red Mom of War(?)
  • Pod Captain
  • Red Mom of War!
« Reply #178 on: 18 Jun 2013, 13:16 »

Re: Morwen's portrait... that eye makeup.  It makes her look like she's been drinking too much for too many consecutive days with only 14 minutes of sleep throughout, isn't even interested in considering stopping, and has actually begun to weep bloody, alcohol-laden tears through her lacrymal glands.

Especially without Morwen's accustomed tattoos. My daughter used to do her eye makeup similarly - she called it "plague eyes".

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #179 on: 18 Jun 2013, 13:31 »

I'm actually going to put the tattoo back tonight, I think - I wish there was a two-sided version of it though - this particular tattoo only goes on one side or the other.

The eyeshadow is there for RP reasons (IC it's actually supposed to be more like a stylized teardrop), but if I could make the part around her eye fainter and put the focus on the downward point, I would.

Katrina brought up a good point on Steam earlier - Morwen's nose is shaped a little oddly. I happen to have a resculpt so I may fix that sometime soonish.

She doesn't drink as much as Havo suggests, but she's definitely not getting a lot of sleep these days. :)
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 33