Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Signatories to the Federal Charter retain the legal right to regulate shipping and security in their original territories, among other things? Read more here.

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 33

Author Topic: Character Portrait Rating  (Read 111838 times)

Makkal

• Pod Captain
  • Khanid victor
    • At the End of Your Journey
Re: Character Portrait Rating
« Reply #150 on: 17 Jun 2013, 19:07 »

Is there any way we can make these images smaller?

It's difficult to judge a portrait when I have to scroll to see the entire thing.
Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars!

Current Events

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
« Reply #151 on: 17 Jun 2013, 20:43 »

Is there any way we can make these images smaller?

It's difficult to judge a portrait when I have to scroll to see the entire thing.

Right click the image, copy link location. Paste the image hyperlink into a new tab or window. You can choose a selection of sizes for direct links to the EVEGate server, assuming they are hosted there instead of imgur or something. The useful sizes are usually in standard doubles of eight.

64x64
128x128
256x256
512x512
1024x1024
... and some other oddly sized ones that don't fit the pattern, mostly used for the EVE website character icons and such.

https:// image.eveonline.com/ Character/92149662_1024.jpg

That spot right there can be swapped out for smaller numbers. The highest resolution I've seen it go has only been 1024. There may be a larger size but I've yet to learn of it.
« Last Edit: 17 Jun 2013, 20:44 by Katrina Oniseki »

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #152 on: 18 Jun 2013, 08:36 »

There may be a larger size but I've yet to learn of it.

I don't believe there is, at least not available publicly. The renders done by the server may be done larger.

Lessee, some of the more recent ones, going backwards...

Havo: The portrait itself is nicely done on its own merits, but doesn't really do a very good job of conveying the character I know Havo to be. It's too calm and open and innocent, with no hint of the more sinister, hostile behavior the character is associated with. Very jarring.

Aya: The background feels a little bland and too close to her skin tone, but you've definitely got her attitude portrayed accurately with the sunglasses and expression.

Gwen: Agreed about the hair. One of the reasons I don't really use the longer hair styles is that anti-grav tech seems to be included in the deal. The portrait really seems to suit the way the character has been portrayed in the past. The lack of even a slight touch of makeup around the eyes makes her look a little like she just got out of bed (which is an issue with my own Achuran, imo - see below), but it's not very easy to notice unless you're looking for it and using the high-res portraits.

Saede: Agreed with most of the other comments here - you've done a pretty good job of getting the 'tomboy' look already. I think easing up on some of the makeup would help it go further, but definitely not removing it wholesale.

Arnulf: I'm reminded of a Sid with hair, and slightly more sunken cheeks. There's something a little off about the portrait but I can't quite put my finger on it - it might be the way you've positioned him within the portrait off to one side, with the lighting.

Reppy: I kind of preferred the original post-Incursion one a bit to this, but her face definitely needs deserves more showing off than that version allowed for, as proof that you -can- still make a pretty Khanid after the changes. :cube:

Elysa: ... Yeah, what you said. I miss her older portrait, but with the direction you seem to be taking her in, a slightly gruffer, more :grr: look suits her. Also, I think it was less Carbon and more your machine at the time. I think I have MSN logs. ;)

Mortis: He looks good, but yeah. Helmet. Requiar.

Samira: You've always done a good job with her in your portraits, especially with taking advantage of the makeup settings to make her look like an addict. The removal of her tattoo draws attention to some of the ways Carbon is wibbly about cheekbones, though - it used to hide that pretty well.

Gabe: Sebiestor males always come off a little weird to me (it's mostly the cheeks), but I really, really like the contrast of his eyes to the background here.

Lady Merdaneth: Agreed with the others - really well-done but needs to take better advantage of the space available for the portrait. Early 30s in age?

Seph: I love the slight smile-less smirk on his face. The things on his forehead seem a little... off, though, and I think you could make better use of the space available. Maybe try turning him a little to make the portrait less static.

Korsavius: Very good, though it comes off as... more sinister than Kor gives the impression of being, IC. Also: I'm waiting for someone to Goa'uld-ize it.

Che: Good, but I think that the open space on the left doesn't really add as much to the portrait as using it might.

Shin: The black lipstick feels off, but the attentive expression suits her well. :cube:

Guess I should throw mine into the mix. Displaying the 512px versions; 1024px versions can be viewed by clicking.

Morwen Lagann:

Mirelle "Momwen" Lagann (yes, actually used for RP):

Naoko Kanaka (Original main, used to RP with, not as much anymore):

Suzelle Dullere (Morwen's XO, referenced in RP, rarely used):

Keta Lindur (Referenced in RP, never used):

Ophelia "Feely" Kiselouvre (Not really an RP character... yet):

There's a bunch of really minor tweaks I want to make to most of them. Morwen's lips feel a little wide (might just be the lipstick or lighting), Naoko needs a touch-up around the eyes, and Feely's chin feels a little weird (:effort: to shell out a plex to fix it, might see if a different pose works better sometime).

(Edit - removed the table to be more friendly to smaller screens; came out wider than I intended.)
« Last Edit: 18 Jun 2013, 08:38 by Morwen Lagann »
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Anslol

« Reply #153 on: 18 Jun 2013, 08:46 »

WOW WAY TO IGNORE MY PORTRAIT  :evil:

Vincent Pryce

« Reply #154 on: 18 Jun 2013, 08:51 »

We only do it to feed your hateful feelings. Soon you will join me in the Gospel of Hate, for I am the Hate Pope.

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #155 on: 18 Jun 2013, 08:57 »

Keta always seemed as if she had the potential to be rather cool to me Morwrawr, more of her plz plz
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #156 on: 18 Jun 2013, 08:58 »

Keta always seemed as if she had the potential to be rather cool to me Morwrawr, more of her plz plz

She's on Morwen's account. That's why she doesn't get used. :\
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #157 on: 18 Jun 2013, 09:03 »

She's on Morwen's account. That's why she doesn't get used. :\

Excuses excuses. I play on the alts I have on my main's account from time to time :P
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #158 on: 18 Jun 2013, 09:05 »

I'm not going to log in a no-skill alt if I can't -do something- besides RP the same time. Believe it or not, I do actually undock with Morwen quite regularly and enjoy doing things in space. Kinda can't do that with a director alt with no skills. :P

We're off-topic, though.

Edit - I guess I could IGS post with her occasionally, but eh. Effort to figure out her own posting habits is too damn high. :P

« Last Edit: 18 Jun 2013, 09:08 by Morwen Lagann »
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:

Havohej

• Friendly Neighborhood Forum Admin
  • Veteran
  • Ex-convict
    • EWF Digital Consulting
« Reply #159 on: 18 Jun 2013, 09:06 »

Havo: The portrait itself is nicely done on its own merits, but doesn't really do a very good job of conveying the character I know Havo to be. It's too calm and open and innocent, with no hint of the more sinister, hostile behavior the character is associated with. Very jarring.
I kinda felt the old grey-skinned scowler was too angry looking and conveyed neither the Michael Corleone (cold, ruthless, calculating) nor the Joker-a la-Heath Ledger (some men just want to watch the world burn, more ruthlessness, aimless agression for its own sake, complete disconnect with humanity), and definitely not the tiny glowing ember that remembered humanity and was trying to cope with what it had/has become.

I think that as soon as I get the opportunity I'm going to spend quite a bit of time in that application, trying to generate the "Perfect" Havohej.  Around the same time I'll post one of those CONCORD Data Dumps for him in that thread and update his Charsheet/bio thing in the other thread.

Re: Morwen's portrait... that eye makeup.  It makes her look like she's been drinking too much for too many consecutive days with only 14 minutes of sleep throughout, isn't even interested in considering stopping, and has actually begun to weep bloody, alcohol-laden tears through her lacrymal glands.  It's actually quite disconcerting, and Havo may have mentioned it on IGS except Morwen's always talking about stuff Havo just has no position whatsoever on (so far as I've seen, three days into Forums Online).

The rest of the portraits all look pretty clean and representative of human characters with hopes and dreams and stuff that could be dashed... which is another aspect I need to subtly portray in Havo's portrait.  There is a man inside that mess.  I swear.

Also, Feely looks violent and promiscuous.

Twitter
This is a forum on steroids tbh. The rate at which content worth reading is being generated could get you pregnant.

kul Shaishi

• Clonejack
« Reply #160 on: 18 Jun 2013, 09:11 »

If Eve has one lesson in it's narrative, it's that if you find any weird ancient space cybercrap, you should stick that shit straight into your brain ASAP, no questions.

Anslol

« Reply #161 on: 18 Jun 2013, 09:33 »

kul: 10/10, would worship. ALL HAIL THE GODDESS OF APPROVAL.

#realtalk: Plain but I actually like it. No frills or anything, very Caldari. I approve.

Also FUCK YOU MORLAG  :evil: :evil: :evil:I WILL SPEW MAD ERRYWHERE.

Havohej

• Friendly Neighborhood Forum Admin
  • Veteran
  • Ex-convict
    • EWF Digital Consulting
« Reply #162 on: 18 Jun 2013, 09:37 »

#realtalk: Plain but I actually like it. No frills or anything, very Caldari. I approve.
Yeah.  I always have had this image of stoicism and direct action veiled by cryptic talk when I think of the Caldari.  Which is kinda why I've never gotten into that facet of the RP scene - an OOC prejudice about what Caldari and CalRP are all about.  Silly, isn't it.

Anyway, kul looks exactly like what I see in my mind's eye when someone says Caldari.

Twitter
This is a forum on steroids tbh. The rate at which content worth reading is being generated could get you pregnant.

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #163 on: 18 Jun 2013, 09:41 »

Kul: I don't know enough about your character or RP to give an assessment in that context, but yours is one of the cases where the fully-facing-the-camera position works out well.

Anslo: 0/10 would troll again. (In all seriousness, he looks fine, though he comes off as too optimistic in that picture for as jaded as he seems IC.)
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:

Shiori

« Reply #164 on: 18 Jun 2013, 09:56 »

Long-haired Achurans for maximum win. I went for a thoughtful, far-away look.

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 33