Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

the Fleet Coordination Commission or FCORD was created in direct response to Nation Incursions. It main purpose is to alert of Incursions and help marshal fleets to repel them.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 33

Author Topic: Character Portrait Rating  (Read 111802 times)

Natalcya Katla

• Captain farkin' Cardboard
  • Omelette
Re: Character Portrait Rating
« Reply #60 on: 25 Sep 2012, 17:36 »

I love the portrait of Safai. It looks like it belongs on a wall in some Victorian-style mansion.

I think it would look even better without the cybernetics, though. Possibly without the jewelry too, but I'm not entirely sure there.
Ava Starfire > There is evil.
Ava Starfire > Outright evil.
Ruby Amatucci > Hello!

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #61 on: 25 Sep 2012, 18:01 »

I love the portrait of Safai. It looks like it belongs on a wall in some Victorian-style mansion.

I think it would look even better without the cybernetics, though. Possibly without the jewelry too, but I'm not entirely sure there.

No, I agree, the jewelry and monocle look very tacked on. Almost like they were put there with stickers after the picture was taken. Its otherwise quite good.
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Shaalira

• Egger
« Reply #62 on: 25 Sep 2012, 18:44 »

Shaalira's portrait has changed a lot over time.  Aside from the fact that I dislike letting a month pass without a new hairstyle, the summer update has allowed her to return to her pre-Carbon complexion.  This is her current style.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Piri Papotte is an article-publishing alt, and received a lot less attention from me on her creation.  I accidentally clicked the major freckles option and decided to just keep it.  As a happy and confident professional, she doesn't care to have them removed.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

I'll write a reaction post when I can.  Maybe when I'm waiting out another GCC counter.

Gottii

• A Booty-full Mind
  • Veteran
« Reply #63 on: 25 Sep 2012, 18:57 »

Shaalira's portrait is my personal fav.  Amazingly well done :)
"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"
― Isaac Asimov

Safai

• Toast &
  • Omelette
  • "Phantom Spaceman is a big fat jerk!"
« Reply #64 on: 25 Sep 2012, 19:26 »

No, I agree, the jewelry and monocle look very tacked on. Almost like they were put there with stickers after the picture was taken. Its otherwise quite good.

I see where you guys coming from. The chin one in particular looks flat. She doesn't look exotic enough if I remove them entirely, though, so I'll play around with them. It's too bad there aren't any options for different bindis.

Still, the monocle stays. :twisted:

And yeah I like Shaalira's too. That's a tattoo option you don't see often enough, and the green ink on dark skin looks good.

Shaalira

• Egger
« Reply #65 on: 25 Sep 2012, 21:22 »

Saede:  I like the eye color.  The rest of the portrait is dark or done in cool colors, so the presence of warm yellow makes the eyes that much more vivid.  I'm partial to Maori-style tattoos.  The lips look a bit puckered, giving her an air of distaste.

Sid:  The best part of this portrait is how the lip peircings fit the flow of the facial tattoo.  The hairstyle gives a distinctly rebellious look.  The clothing is drab, but it suits; it allows the focus to remain on the striking features of the face.  The circle grill background is a bit distracting, though.

GoGo Yubari:  The blush is overdone, and doesn't flatter a narrow and angular face.  Zooming out to a body shot makes the eagle on the shirt the central focus of the picture, which is possibly your intent?  I'm more likely to remember the character's shirt than what she looks like.

Veikitamo:  It might be an effect of the lighting, but the eyes look very slightly cross-eyed.  The deep shadow along the inner eye socket might be the culprit.  Otherwise, the pose and the distant focus of the gaze fits the stated characterization.  The colorfulness of the lips is a good contrast to a portrait that's mostly grey-scale.

Desiderya:  This character has a narrow, sharp face and the hairstyle does a good job of emphasizing this.  White hair's a bit of a risk, but fortunately the face and lips lacks strong color and so it fits.  Might consider a more pallid complexion.  The long zoom makes it hard to make out the character on smaller views.

Graelyn:  The immediate reaction from this picture is that of an experienced, sharp and cynical character.  Good work on the eyes, as it makes the character seem observant, rather than glaring at a singular point (as many Amarr males do).  Good use of the age slider, which isn't used often.

Vaun:  Looks like an Easter Islander statue dug itself out of the ground and found itself a space ship.  Good take on an 'average-looking' person with a single, unnerving feature.  Subdued symmetrical background seems to fit.

Aelisha:  The mechanical eye matches the eye color of the organic eye well, providing a symmetry despite the difference.  It feels like more can be done with the lighting, zoom, angle, and background to focus the attention on a rather striking face.  White tattoo clashes with dark hair and clothing, not necessarily in a good way.

Nmaro:  The zoom-out level detracts quite a bit from the portrait, especially given how miniature the face can be on the smaller views.  I think more of an angle would fit this character better, especially with the ponytail/knot in the back of the head.  I'd look into the color balance of the lips, tattoo and eyes, as they don't fit well together..

Kala:  Not many profile portraits out there, which gives her quite a bit of uniqueness.  Freckled redhead, as common an archetype as it is, works rather well.  I like blue or green in combination with that complexion rather than black.  As such, I'm more partial to the second portrait with the blue tattoo.  I'm not sure black lipstick is a good choice here.

Silas:  A color-drained white hair + white outfit + white eyes approach is a good one.  But I think you undermine that with the pink make-up / lipstick.  Having the character look up can make her seem more aloof or proud.  But in this case, it just looks like she's looking up at the ceiling (especially since the absence of pupils makes the object of her focus unclear).  I'd work on the angle of the face some more, and perhaps zoom in a bit.

Istvaan:  The dramatic lighting and the half-shadowed face works well, particularly for a character with a shady air to him.  I think the bright blue event horizon background detracts from this approach, though, as much as it provides a sharp relief to the face.  Something darker, perhaps.

Kentt:  This character has a good, unique look.  The lighting choice fits well with the tatoo color.  I'm not sure what kind of outfit you have, but the chainmail texture gives it a retro, somewhat primitive look - in a good wa.  Scruffy hair, scruffy chin, and earring all complement each other.

Ghost:  Looks stiff and robotic, which is probably the intent.  The unity of the green color scheme works well, and the tattoos add to the artificial/mechanical quality of the character.  The shoulders should be more square than sloped, but not sure what you can do there aside from an outfit change.

Lynn:  I think the blush and makeup should be toned down or changed to the brown hue.  The natural skin tone and hair combination is a good one, and the plain top adds to the portrait's overall simplicity.  The lower half of the face seems a little too small, with the mouth utterly dwarfed by the nose.  It could be a bad angle.

Laerise:  Normally, I want the face to be the primary focus of the portrait.  But in context of the Amarr logo and the 'disgusting heathen' squint, the camera angle isn't bad.  I like the level of expressiveness, which you don't see much elsewhere.  Consider one of the 'royal' haircuts with the bound up braids.

Norrin:  Looks distant and smug, particularly with the shades.  That impression has something to do with the lips, which seem tight and pursed.  The zoom-out makes it fairly difficult to make out more about the face, especially on smaller views.  As is, it looks like a generic man in shades.

Yuni:  Color choices work well.  The lip piercings and the mime eyeshadow make for good symmetry.  The blush is just right for this character.

Rok:  The earthy tones match this character's name.  With the full-down dreads and the wide chin, I think the angle could better selected.  This is a character that should take up most of the screen.

Dilaro:  This character has some really prominent cheekbones, which distract me from the rest of the face.  The scar is a good fit with the white hair and aged features.  I can't see much else past the cheekbones, though.

Jev North:  Simplicity works well for this portrait.  It's not very busy, allowing for some good chiascurro between the light complexion and hair, and the deep shadows and dark colors of the outfit.  The drawn back camera and the character's vague 'off-to-the-side' perspective, however, blunts the sharpness of the portrait.

Gotti:  This is a great profile portrait.  Even though the head leans forward, the eyes stare straight ahead, giving the charactger a very focused look.  Beard, dark dreads, and tattoo give him a lot of character, and the plain shirt keeps the focus on the face.

My counter's up, so I'll continue later.

Merdaneth

• Pod Captain
« Reply #66 on: 26 Sep 2012, 00:43 »

Just saying that if I wanted to put the breasts as the focal point, I'd say I was doing it pretty wrong. Interestingly superficial analysis, though. I wonder if it comes down to my choices or the eye of the beholder.

Probably a bit of both. I prefer faces to look at in portraits, and I favor eyes especially, your portrait tries to hide the face and especially the eyes. Position and light make your neck is the visual focal point, but there is nothing to see there as it were. Both chest and face are competing for attention after the neck area. Chest area because of breasts that are wider than the body, which accentuate them and a very present symbol on the shirt.

I certainly wanted to dance on the edge of superficiality by giving her a "pose", as one would if photographed for publicity images, while at the same time not being entirely comfortable with it. The rather obvious (as I see it) symbology is commonly  missed, though. Possibly due to the breasts. They have that effect on men.

Yes, I can imagine. Because the creator knows their character far better, usually one's own perception and associations have a lot more depth to it than one who just takes a superficial look at the portrait.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #67 on: 26 Sep 2012, 04:19 »

My alt Jake that I have not played a lot ICly.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

My other alt that I used as a CEO for many things...

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Lynn:  I think the blush and makeup should be toned down or changed to the brown hue.  The natural skin tone and hair combination is a good one, and the plain top adds to the portrait's overall simplicity.  The lower half of the face seems a little too small, with the mouth utterly dwarfed by the nose.  It could be a bad angle.

Weird, normally the only makeup she has is eye lineup (it's a lot better with it). On the first pic maybe some remnant of a blush coming back from my first post incarna attempts, but im not sure... I don't remember well tbh since I can't check anymore. On the second one though, I am sure to have removed any remaining blush, so just eye lineup here. I am still not happy with the skin complexion though, so I have the same feeling.

GoGo Yubari

• Omelette
« Reply #68 on: 26 Sep 2012, 06:31 »

I prefer faces to look at in portraits, and I favor eyes especially, your portrait tries to hide the face and especially the eyes.

I do usually prefer faces (and eyes) as well, but since the new chargen didn't allow me to create a face I was happy with or could identify with the character (change is haaaard), I figured I'd do something totally different. Ending up doing that, I figured I'd make a point with the hiding of the face, too.

I see where you guys coming from. The chin one in particular looks flat. She doesn't look exotic enough if I remove them entirely, though, so I'll play around with them. It's too bad there aren't any options for different bindis.

Still, the monocle stays. :twisted:

I like Safai's portrait very much as well! It has the aura of some bad ass cybernetic granny (and I mean that in a good way), while still being attractive as well. I too don't like the plethora of jewelry, but - and I can't believe I'm saying this - I like the monocle here.

Merdaneth

• Pod Captain
« Reply #69 on: 26 Sep 2012, 10:46 »

I do usually prefer faces (and eyes) as well, but since the new chargen didn't allow me to create a face I was happy with or could identify with the character (change is haaaard), I figured I'd do something totally different. Ending up doing that, I figured I'd make a point with the hiding of the face, too.

I'm intrigued now. What kind of impression/effect did you want to achieve?

Red

• That Flighty Broad
  • Clonejack
  • Live every week like it's Shark Week.
« Reply #70 on: 26 Sep 2012, 13:15 »

Woooo I am late to this party!

I'm gonna limit myself to critiquing the portraits in the post above this one for brevity's sake:

My alt Jake that I have not played a lot ICly.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

My other alt that I used as a CEO for many things...

[spoiler][/spoiler]

5/10 - Jake's overall look is solid; the white tattoo compliments his skin tone and light hair rather nicely, I think. I kind of wish his eyebrows were a shade or two darker -- I can tell he's a middle-aged fella, but the color of his eyebrows lend a few more years to his look that feel a bit out of place. Darker eyebrows would also bring that lovely eye color out a bit more!

10/10 - Love this character design! The hair frames his face perfectly, the eyebrow shape and positioning make his expression incredibly stern, and the white goatee caps the look off quite nicely. This portrait is what I envision when I think of older Khanid men.

Heeeeere's Red!

[spoiler][/spoiler]

I was also asked very nicely to put my in-game bosslady's portrait up for your rating pleasure XD

[spoiler][/spoiler]

« Last Edit: 26 Sep 2012, 13:37 by Red »

Rok-Yuni

• Egger
« Reply #71 on: 26 Sep 2012, 18:01 »

After reading some comments, i have made some changes to Dilaro. While he may not be long for this world (probably retiring him to Matar soon) his cheekbones were a little excessive. so, changes have been made.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

I have made a couple of changes to Rok as well, but at the moment, only the first iteration of changes have shown up on eve gate. took some advice and made him bigger on the portrait. though i still don't like the dreads, for some reason the light doesn't seem to hit them right at all and just diffuses throughout.. fibre-optic hair perhaps?

[spoiler][/spoiler]

as the newest version of Rok has yet to appear, i will post it in another reply once it has updated on eve-gate.

So... better??

UPDATE: Rok's new pic has appearred, and the one here has automatically updated.. lol. different hair to his old one
« Last Edit: 26 Sep 2012, 19:22 by Rok-Yuni »

Natalcya Katla

• Captain farkin' Cardboard
  • Omelette
« Reply #72 on: 26 Sep 2012, 18:22 »

So... better??

Definitely! I really like Dilaro's pic, now. Rok looks better, too.
Ava Starfire > There is evil.
Ava Starfire > Outright evil.
Ruby Amatucci > Hello!

GoGo Yubari

• Omelette
« Reply #73 on: 26 Sep 2012, 18:39 »

I'm intrigued now. What kind of impression/effect did you want to achieve?

Hmm, well briefly, I wanted to tackle two themes: the problem of celebrity and mostly separately from that, overcoming a dark past/infamy/untrustworthiness and forging a new future. I guess it sounds high-flying written out like that, but that's how I roll.

Oh, and I like Rok. He seems genial, almost normal, but probably a fun dude to hang out with, but he definitely has an edge that you don't want to cross. The lighting could be a little less harsh, though.
« Last Edit: 26 Sep 2012, 18:42 by GoGo Yubari »

Leopold Caine

• Egger
  • Angels are never far...
« Reply #74 on: 27 Sep 2012, 05:50 »

[spoiler][/spoiler]

The smirk.

Your all portraits are horrible, besides Lyn's because of that nose and all and it looks genuinely ammatar.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 33