Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That Saxon Hawke has the inscription "A man travels the universe in search of what he needs and returns home to find it." added near the entry port of every ship he purchases?

Author Topic: DTN: Skyskiing  (Read 2673 times)

Ghost Hunter

• Sansha's True Citizen ; TS-F Overseer
  • The Mods
  • Veteran
  • True Power without limit!
DTN: Skyskiing
« on: 30 Apr 2010, 16:36 »

Welcome to my "Developing the Nation (DTN)", if anyone was wondering what that was about. Anyway, here's something I've been thinking about. Seems pretty nifty.

During the rise of Sansha's Nation, a curious phenomenon wormed its way into the spotlight. It bore the hallmarks of a Caldari sport - intense and dangerous. The sport made its home in the skies of massive cities still under construction as the Nation expanded. The practitioners used all the interconnecting construction equipment between the enormous sky scrappers and various constructs as the field of play. The goal was simple - start from vantage point A and either reach point B or C. Point B was called the "lightning point", for it was often the highest point on a target building they had to reach. Point C was the "dead end", typically a very low point encouraged the use of brutal speed to reach to.

Those who reached the lofty lightning point almost always won over those who reached the dead end for it was leaps and bounds more difficult to get to. This was a notably rare occurrence however and many races often centered on point A to point C racing. The occasional brave soul would aspire to point B, but the results varied.

It was only after the first major publicized race in Esoteria did the sport earn its name of "skyskiing". This came from how the equipment used in the sport resembled simple snow skiing equipment. However, towards the height of the sport's fame the term became considered an "umbrella" phrase for the activity. Many different ways of turning the magnetic rail devices, the center piece of the sport, began appearing that were completely different to the traditional "skiing" method.

The sport of Skyskiing itself was almost completely wiped out over night during the True Slave exposure and the resulting fall of the Nation. The big players in Skyskiing tried to revive it but found both the environment and the people unfavorable and unsuitable for the sport.

Today the sport could be called a distant memory, but one would have to wonder. The True Slaves and their slow rebuilding of the Nation is a silent but certain invitation for the return of the sport - indeed, perhaps even some True Slaves may practice it if they were capable of such a thing.

Thoughts and comments?
« Last Edit: 01 May 2010, 20:18 by Ghost Hunter »
Ghost > So yes, she was Ghost's husband-
Ashar > So Ghost was a gay Caldari and she went through tranny surgery
Ghost > Wait what?
Ashar > Ghosts husband.
Ghost > No she was - Oh god damnit.

He ate all of them
We Form Moderation
For Nation

Ashar Kor-Azor

• Banned
  • Pod Captain
  • Banned
Re: DTN: Skyskiing
« Reply #1 on: 30 Apr 2010, 16:40 »

First!

[22:36:20] Ghost Hunter > http://backstage.eve-inspiracy.com/index.php?topic=363.0

[22:36:23] Ghost Hunter > :O

[22:37:20] Ashar KorAzor > Ghost

[22:37:26] Ashar KorAzor > Is this the product of my provocation?

[22:37:48] Ghost Hunter > Inspired by it perhaps

[22:37:51] Ashar KorAzor > YES

[22:37:55] Ashar KorAzor > TAKAN CREDITS

More valuable content added later >.>

Ghost Hunter

• The Mods
  • Veteran
« Reply #2 on: 30 Apr 2010, 16:47 »

MAH E-CRED >: (
Ghost > Wait what?
Ashar > Ghosts husband.

He ate all of them
We Form Moderation
For Nation

Natalcya Katla

• Captain farkin' Cardboard
  • Omelette
« Reply #3 on: 01 May 2010, 06:11 »

Lovely.  :D

This sport must have been popular where Ruby comes from, back when the Nation was in its prime. She'll have lots of dusty old holorecordings of skyskiing, and watch some of them again every so often.
Ava Starfire > There is evil.
Ava Starfire > Outright evil.
Ruby Amatucci > Hello!

Havohej

• Friendly Neighborhood Forum Admin
  • Veteran
  • Ex-convict
    • EWF Digital Consulting
« Reply #4 on: 01 May 2010, 17:34 »

Interesting read - I love little 'world-building' type stuff like this that tries to flesh out some of the many blank spots left in terms of "every day life".  But one thing jumped out at me:

Those who reached the lofty lightning point almost always won over those who reached the dead end for it was leagues and bonds more difficult to get to.
I think the expression you had in mind is "leaps and bounds"?

Twitter
This is a forum on steroids tbh. The rate at which content worth reading is being generated could get you pregnant.

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
« Reply #5 on: 01 May 2010, 19:56 »

And this entry by Ghost is the first recipient of moniez from the 'It's a Big Cluster' fund.

Do want to note that things don't have to be posted on this forum to get picked (though I might be more likely to notice since I monitor it closely.)

Ghost Hunter

• The Mods
  • Veteran
« Reply #6 on: 01 May 2010, 20:17 »

Interesting read - I love little 'world-building' type stuff like this that tries to flesh out some of the many blank spots left in terms of "every day life".  But one thing jumped out at me:

Those who reached the lofty lightning point almost always won over those who reached the dead end for it was leagues and bonds more difficult to get to.
I think the expression you had in mind is "leaps and bounds"?

Woops. Yes, just a typo there.
Ghost > Wait what?
Ashar > Ghosts husband.

He ate all of them
We Form Moderation
For Nation