Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That in Norse mythology, the "Naglfar" was a ship built from the toenail and fingernail clippings of the dead?

Author Topic: Whispers in the Dark  (Read 2247 times)

Darina

• Clonejack
Whispers in the Dark
« on: 30 Apr 2010, 10:23 »

A short fiction. around 1500 words.

Please find it here:
http://docs.google.com/View?id=dckszn66_2dv8ds6f4

Also thanks to Mizhara and Silver to correct my errors and give most advices!

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
Re: Whispers in the Dark
« Reply #1 on: 30 Apr 2010, 11:29 »

ooo, was nice
\o/

Darina

• Clonejack
« Reply #2 on: 30 Apr 2010, 16:15 »

Thanks and cheers for reading it  :)

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #3 on: 01 May 2010, 19:11 »

A nice look at how True Slaves are happy while doing their Sansha-ey stuff.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Darina

• Clonejack
« Reply #4 on: 03 May 2010, 04:23 »

Cheers and thanks for reading.

The story comes more from the thought that conversion into a happy True Slave has to happen some way. And obedience and loyalty are better gained and kept when the subject is happy and comfortable.

I'm thinking up a second part to the story, with a different focus, have to see how it works out!

Arnulf Ogunkoya

• Moral Compass (apparently)
  • Pod Captain
    • Livejournal profile
« Reply #5 on: 03 May 2010, 05:02 »

Cheers and thanks for reading.

The story comes more from the thought that conversion into a happy True Slave has to happen some way. And obedience and loyalty are better gained and kept when the subject is happy and comfortable.

I'm thinking up a second part to the story, with a different focus, have to see how it works out!

Does the term happy even apply to a True Slave? I was under the impressioin that functional or non-functional would be more appropriate.
Kind Regards,
Arnulf Ogunkoya.

Darina

• Clonejack
« Reply #6 on: 03 May 2010, 08:40 »

Happy to function, happy to work, happy to operate within functional parameters, etc.

I'm of the opinion that while True Slave are implanted and do process information similar to computers, and alot faster then your regular person, thanks to that, they are still organics and have a certain feeling while they are working.

I'd contribute this to base feeling only however. Happiness about a job well done, anger about a failed job, sadness because a fellow unit malfunctioned and so on. Which leaves the lower workers easier to manipulate by the higher, more intelligent ones. The higher you go through the ranks the more humanlike the True Slaves become.

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
« Reply #7 on: 03 May 2010, 12:32 »

Well, part of the reason for the creation of True Slaves in the first place was to get the reliability of machines with the creativity, etc of humans. Emotions within certain defined parameters would seem to be in line with that.