Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Sansha Kuvakei was an industrial mogul before founding his Nation? Moar here.

Author Topic: 2312  (Read 1063 times)

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
« on: 04 Sep 2012, 11:22 »

The year is 2312. Scientific and technological advances have opened gateways to an extraordinary future. Earth is no longer humanity's only home; new habitats have been created throughout the solar system on moons, planets, and in between. But in this year, 2312, a sequence of events will force humanity to confront its past, its present, and its future.

The first event takes place on Mercury, on the city of Terminator, itself a miracle of engineering on an unprecedented scale. It is an unexpected death, but one that might have been foreseen. For Swan Er Hong, it is an event that will change her life. Swan was once a woman who designed worlds. Now she will be led into a plot to destroy them.

This isn't a book review because I haven't finished the book yet (about halfway through).  It is, however, such an enjoyable read that I wanted to bring it to the attention of the crowd here because I think it would be right up your alley. 

2312 is Kim Stanley Robinson's latest hard scifi novel.  He wrote the Mars series (Red Mars, Green Mars, Blue Mars) about fifteen years ago, telling the story of the colonization and terraforming of Mars during the mid-late 21st Century.  I read those books as a teenager and was fascinated by the integration of the scientific concepts (interplanetary colonization, terraforming, space elevators, life extension, etc.) with the lives of the human characters and the societies they belonged to or formed.  The Mars series had something of an ensemble cast and was quite long, but I nevertheless enjoyed it greatly and credit it with having a significant influence on me.

2312 is in much the same vein, but the canvas KSR has used is much larger and his scientific imaginings that much grander.  Halfway through and my mind grapes have been sufficiently blown more than once.  As with the Mars series, several characters including the main POV character are flawed individuals, and you simply may not like them.  Conversely you may find them all the more interesting for the same reasons.  They inhabit a world that is, however, simply unmissable.  If you like plausible hard scifi and stories about human exploration and colonization in the Solar System in the coming centuries, definitely check this one out.

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
Re: 2312
« Reply #1 on: 04 Sep 2012, 18:40 »

*feels ashamed, hasn't read the Mars Trilogy*

I saw this mentioned on Wired a month or two ago and it looks like a good read.  I need to finish my current pleasure reading first though (Game of Thrones, close to finishing Storm of Swords).

Gottii

• A Booty-full Mind
  • Veteran
« Reply #2 on: 04 Sep 2012, 19:19 »

Thank you for the heads up on this.  It horrifies me that Red Mars is 15 yrs old, but it was one of the top 5 best sci-fi books Ive ever read, and the others were also very good (though in my opinion not as good as Red Mars).  Ill be certain to check out 2312.
"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"
― Isaac Asimov

Lyn Farel

« Reply #3 on: 05 Sep 2012, 04:21 »

Oh nice, thanks for the advice. I haven't read Mars but maybe I will when I find the time, I totally forgot about these novels.

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
« Reply #4 on: 11 Sep 2012, 00:18 »

I just finished the book this evening and can still strongly recommend it.  Its pacing reminded me of KSR's The Years of Rice and Salt, and I think the book's achievement is very similar to that previous work's.  It is not a spellbinding narrative, but rather a travelogue than manages to be both artistic and intellectual.  In short, 2312 paints a sweeping and realistic portrait of a very interesting world.  In Rice and Salt, that world was an alternate Earth on which the medieval Black Death killed 99% of Europe rather than a mere 33%.  There the author rather ingeniously covered many centuries of this alternate history while keeping the "travel companions", his main characters, along for the ride, and the sum experience was a historian's fantasy.  In this book, the world explored is the entire colonized Solar System and the events taking place cover only a few years' time.  Robinson manages to physically take the main characters to almost every subsystem around Sol - Mercury, Venus, Earth/Luna, Mars, the asteroids, Jupiter, Saturn, and Pluto/Charon; some more than once - while showing off to the reader a quite plausible +300 years future.  The experience is both a historian's and a space exploration enthusiast's fantasy.

Demion Samenel

• Commander
  • Egger
    • 4TH blog
« Reply #5 on: 11 Sep 2012, 02:33 »

*feels ashamed, hasn't read the Mars Trilogy*

I saw this mentioned on Wired a month or two ago and it looks like a good read.  I need to finish my current pleasure reading first though (Game of Thrones, close to finishing Storm of Swords).

You are not the only one Dex  :oops:

But thanks Ken, I wanted a sci fi serie to begin with

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #6 on: 11 Sep 2012, 08:00 »

The experience is both a historian's and a space exploration enthusiast's fantasy.

Don't tease me bro.