Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That there are minmatar who willingly serve the Amarr empire? More here

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12

Author Topic: Art; uniforms or otherwise!  (Read 42627 times)

Ava Starfire

• Queen of Hashbrowns
  • Pod Captain
Art; uniforms or otherwise!
« on: 01 Sep 2012, 17:56 »

Decided to make a thread where we can just post any art we may do (or find, if you locate especially good pics that you want to share, link them here, with credit to the artist or site, please). This can be anything, digital art, ink, pencil... lets make the world of eve feel like a world.

Ava visiting a bazaar in Hek (And SPOILER, page 1, not lettered yet, of my forthcoming comic; hopefully it'll be well recieved, eh?)

Feel free to offer CONSTRUCTIVE criticism to me, or any other artist here; I wanted to capture a "Bazaar/busy city street in a market" sort of feel, plus a "sci-fi" feel. A friend mentioned color would help, but... I dont color! Hehe. Any feedback is always great.

Red

• That Flighty Broad
  • Clonejack
  • Live every week like it's Shark Week.
Re: Art; uniforms or otherwise!
« Reply #1 on: 01 Sep 2012, 18:22 »

Lovely work, Ava! :D Successfully drawing people interacting with one another = hard XD I think you pulled it off quite nicely here!

I agree with your friend in that color will help capture the mood you want more solidly; perhaps just try blocking some in digitally (if possible!) to see how you feel about it, and take it or leave it as you like, eh?

I made this quick sketch the other day as a gift for a friend -- it's an inside joke she came up with, but it's entirely possible that Red would do something like this for some extra cash XD

Ava Starfire

• Queen of Hashbrowns
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #2 on: 01 Sep 2012, 18:43 »

That is awesome! It looks like the sort of ad you would see in a fasion mag, or maybe before a youtube video! I love how she does, indeed, have an "attitude" evident in her expression and pose.

I have no idea how to digitally color, sadly. I do my work with 4H and 2H pencil and a sketchbook... if i am feeling reeeally high tech, i might grab my square, compass, or a french curve set. That's sadly about as technical as I get.

I wanted lots of glowing neon lights and stuff, but hard to catch with pencil alone; maybe ill try it again, with more darkness/maybe rain wetted ground for reflections... bah.

You color. Youre like 20 up on me!

Graelyn

• Ye Olde One
  • Veteran
  • These things just seem to happen...
« Reply #3 on: 01 Sep 2012, 21:15 »

This thread is already at Win Capacity.

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!

Ava Starfire

• Queen of Hashbrowns
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #4 on: 01 Sep 2012, 22:09 »

Here we go. Ava, and Skadi, by popular demand, heathening it up in Mikramurka.

The rifle is indeed old. There may even be a story about it...
« Last Edit: 02 Sep 2012, 08:23 by Ava Starfire »

Leopold Caine

• Egger
  • Angels are never far...
« Reply #5 on: 01 Sep 2012, 23:15 »

While I was on my trip yesterday, I made an EVE related sketch in my travel sketchbook; it's the skyline of one of the Angel megalopoli on the surface of Doril II.
I always imagined Angel cities in the Heaven constellation as a certain mix between Las Vegas, Tortuga and Blade Runner with a dash of a noir setting from Frank Miller's Sin City, and architecturally an eclectic mix between styles of all 4 main eve empires. (and nope, I don't have a scanner)
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Leopold Caine

• Egger
« Reply #6 on: 01 Sep 2012, 23:23 »

Some more stuff I did earlier, more architectural than artsy, but thought I'd slap it here. You're already familiar with the pictures of public areas of the Ivory Tower, so I'll keep those out:

Leo's Penthouse in the Tower:
First Floor
[spoiler][/spoiler]
Second Floor
[spoiler][/spoiler]
Section
[spoiler][/spoiler]
3Ds:
[spoiler][/spoiler]
[spoiler][/spoiler] Ishta in the kitchen ![/misogyny] :D

One of Ivory Tower's Spa Suites:
[spoiler][/spoiler]
As usual, click on images to be able to read the text. And yes, old roman hot water baths were called caldariums, that's not an eve reference there.
« Last Edit: 02 Sep 2012, 00:23 by Leopold Caine »

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
  • The untraditional traditionalist
« Reply #7 on: 01 Sep 2012, 23:46 »

Nice rifle. I'm guessing a family heirloom from way-back, not modern standard issue ;)

BTW, I did not know the Minmatar used Galactic Basic (from Star Wars) as a written language. I'm guessing that was not intentional but rather a known/unknown source of inspiration.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #8 on: 02 Sep 2012, 05:26 »

Nice !

What I find really good in your pic Ava is the composition (is that the right word ?) of the image, and also especially the posing of the character (special mention to the child and the mother). It works well.

Also, meddling with contrast levels and contrast luminosity in photoshop, and then adding a HDR pass gave me this :

Note : yeah Bloodbird I too wondered if that was some form of aurebesh but since I can read it I can safely say that Ava's alphabet is not aurebesh (yeah im weird like that, with friends we used aurebesh in school to send coded messages to each other in classrooms :p).

Lyn Farel

« Reply #9 on: 02 Sep 2012, 06:46 »

Warning : lots of (big) images.

My uniforms designs are in the other thread already but I can re-post them here. I haven't found the time and motivation to draw more of them yet, even if I still have a few ideas.

Republic fleet technician (male female)
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Jin Mei local navy
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Imperial fleet chaplain
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Some portraits I did for my eve characters before Incarna or for friends more generally :

Lyn in a mood that doesnt fit at all
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Maybe a first try for Lyn that wasnt satisfying
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Lyn hair tied up
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Lyn final
[spoiler][/spoiler]

3D renders I did 4-5 years ago (mental ray 3DSmax) :

Industrial refectory/mess in space
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Another view
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Test renders of the glasses (glasses inspired from one of the old eve chronicles illustration), too bad I didn't make the render with the quafe logo wrapped  around one of them...
[spoiler][/spoiler]

A few illustrations I made for Eve :

Industrial ship, speed painting.
[spoiler][/spoiler]
[spoiler][/spoiler]

The Firefly, being the 1st layout concept I did for the eve online / deviant art contest, but decided for some reason to drop it
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Some of you might remember the 2 last ones.

Immortalis, first layouts
[spoiler][/spoiler]
[spoiler][/spoiler]
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Illustration background v1
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Background v2
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Final render
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Ananke, first layouts
[spoiler][/spoiler]
[spoiler][/spoiler]
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Illustration, step by step
[spoiler][/spoiler]
[spoiler][/spoiler]
[spoiler][/spoiler]
[spoiler][/spoiler]
[spoiler][/spoiler]
« Last Edit: 02 Sep 2012, 06:49 by Lyn Farel »

Ava Starfire

• Queen of Hashbrowns
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #10 on: 02 Sep 2012, 06:52 »

Holy crap, this thread is going places. Leo, that city scape is incredible; if you were after Vegas meets Blade Runner, id say you got it. I love the holographic signs!

Lyn, your art is gorgeous. The pics you drew of lyn blew my mind, the realism is wonderful. Thank you also for darkening up my pic, that looks great.

And no, I dont know if i thought about the Star wars letters or not subconsciously, but I was actually thinking about the "dragon" alphabet from skyrim when I did it.

More please folks!

Lyn Farel

« Reply #11 on: 02 Sep 2012, 07:18 »

Thanks. Please note though that these portraits are not made out of nothing, I use photo references and pics...

I found some other sources I forgot in the first place :

Now you mention cities, this one might look like a little more deus ex like than eve like, but well...
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Mining planet

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #12 on: 02 Sep 2012, 07:20 »

attempt to draw Saede yesterday, I'm much better at surreal stuff then stuff that supposed to look realistic, so...meh

[spoiler][/spoiler]
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Red

• That Flighty Broad
  • Clonejack
  • Live every week like it's Shark Week.
« Reply #13 on: 02 Sep 2012, 08:11 »

Fuckin' A, this is a talented lot XD

MOAR PLZ

Leopold Caine

• Egger
« Reply #14 on: 02 Sep 2012, 09:01 »

Thanks Ava, and the holo signs were the last thing I put on it and thought the sketch was missing ^_^

Also Lyn, as I was just telling to Ava in the OOC, your style reminds me a lot of Josip Vaništa's work:
[spoiler] [/spoiler]

Not sure if you're familiar with his work, but overall very good stuff! Just thought I'd let you know.
Also Ava, I love the kid holding the rifter toy in the first one. As for the second... fuck, will I have to make a drawing of Mr. Coon now?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12