Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That there was a total information blockade during the Caldari occupation of Placid, only lifted when the Caldari Navy in the area was destroyed or driven out?

Author Topic: So. a new character will soon be born.  (Read 1083 times)

Rok-Yuni

• Egger
So. a new character will soon be born.
« on: 27 Sep 2012, 09:01 »

The problem is, I cannot decide on the specific name to use.

The character will be Matari, probably Veherikor (sp?) but beyond that i'm not sure what to make...
Anyways, I have decided that the name should be based on the medieval dialect of the Mongolian language, and have done a little research regarding that, now, the research has not been incredibly in-depth, so if i have made any glaring errors and anyone spots them, please let me know.

some sample names i have considered so far, and their (apparent) translations are below.
Tell me what you think :)

1) Toluijin Oyugun (Mirror of Wisdom)
2) Mongke Bayar (Eternal Joy)
3) Batu Chinua (Loyal Wolf)
4) Chagangan Gal (White-steel Fire)
5) Temur Vachir (Iron Thunderbolt)
6) Koke Checheg (Blue Flower)
7) Toluijin Chagangan (Mirror of white steel)

I'm personally leaning towards either name 2 for a female character or name 7 for a male one, but any input or corrections would be appreciated.

as always, Fly safe.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
Re: So. a new character will soon be born.
« Reply #1 on: 27 Sep 2012, 09:13 »

Mirror of White Steel has a nice ring to it :)

Go forth, wreck terrible vengeance upon your enemies ;)

Alain Colcer

• Pod Captain
« Reply #2 on: 27 Sep 2012, 09:22 »

Just take into consideration that regardless the "visual" look and inspiration CCP use for Vherokior, CCP uses nordic influenced names for the star-systems and NPC agents....

What i did for most of my characters was a mix of www.eve-agents.com with evemaps.dotlan.com for the racial choice.

Rok-Yuni

• Egger
« Reply #3 on: 27 Sep 2012, 14:40 »

True, but the Matari language, much like the caldari, is not a single simple tounge.
While the system and item names may be influenced by the nordic language, much like those of the gallente are influenced by the french language, I doubt that too many Jin-Mei are named Jaques or Claude.

Each tribe would have had it's own language, customs and ways, and my interpretation from the look of the Vherokior is that they are simillar to the Mongol.

While i could be wrong, it seems fitting for a people that spent an age under the oppression of a larger and more organised empire who have thrown off those shackles and begun to fight.

If i was to hazard a guess as to which of the Matari tribes were the Nordic-influenced one. i'd say either the Sebiestor (sp?) or perhaps even one of the non-playable ones.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #4 on: 27 Sep 2012, 16:29 »

Temur Vachir is the one that sounds really good to me. I am a bit meh over the others purely how they sound for a character name (and not what they mean), unless you want to go in the bizarre or unpronouncable names.

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #5 on: 27 Sep 2012, 17:10 »

6) Koke Checheg (Blue Flower)

i like that one.
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.