Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

the 25ers were a political activist organization that fought for repealing starship licensing fees, laying the foundations for the independent capsuleer community.

Author Topic: [Science] Embryonic stem cells created from adult blood cells  (Read 1517 times)

Tiberious Thessalonia

• Everyone's favorite philositoaster
  • Pod Captain
  • Panini Press

Good.  Maybe now we can get past the people who feel its wrong to use excess bits and pieces from otherwise non-viable embryos to cure diseases in people who are actually alive right now.
Do you see it now?  Something is different.  Something is never was in the first part!

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr

Good.  Maybe now we can get past the people who feel its wrong to use excess bits and pieces from otherwise non-viable embryos to cure diseases in people who are actually alive right now.

^This^

If this is a way around that irritating 'moral dilemma' then its great news for science.
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

lallara zhuul

• Now with rainbows and butterflies.
  • Veteran

I think the embryo thing is a remnant from the scandal back in the 80's where embryos were used for beauty products.

The hospitals still sell the placentas and rest of the leftovers from births to private interests.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Matariki Rain

• Sweet, gentle Mata
  • Pod Captain

I think the embryo thing is a remnant from the scandal back in the 80's where embryos were used for beauty products.

The hospitals still sell the placentas and rest of the leftovers from births to private interests.

Just going to say that that sounds very location-specific, and I thought even in the UK (which used to sell to French pharma companies) it was no longer acceptable without consent.

=Mata, writing from a country where the indigenous culture cares quite strongly what happens to the placenta.

Lyn Farel

Placenta ? wat ?

Wanoah

• Omelette
  • Sweating spinal fluid
    • Hello!

Personally, I want to live a thousand years. I want backups, and clones and all that Culture shit and I want it now. :P

Still, given that human overpopulation is the root cause of most of our tiny homeworld's most pressing problems, maybe the secret of eternal youth isn't one we need to unravel right now.

Instead, then, maybe I'll trade my 1,000 years for guaranteed secular education for all women across the planet and universal contraception: two things that when combined amount to a panacea for almost all of our ills.
Nothing worth saying is inoffensive to everyone

Blog | Fiction