Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The system Old Man Star is named for the lone crew member who survived a sub-light trip there to set up a stargate?

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Your alt smells of another character's bias *pinches nose*  (Read 3069 times)

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.

I have also observed the opposite situation on the Summit, where established characters will only engage other established characters and completely ignore new pilots to the channel. Even established players with alternate characters (who are new) will be engaged much more quickly than the unknowns. Some people do make the effort to engage everyone, but I watch the channel often and I find it rather disappointing when fresh faces make the effort and don't even get hello.

Mind you, I'm not trying to guilt anyone into interacting with people, but perhaps being mindful of this behavior will encourage some not to be so cliquish.

Posts like this make me wish for a +1 button.

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind

Agreed, Casi, though there are a number of us (like Tib!) who do try to engage newer folks if possible.

... it's just a little difficult when they're acting... derpy.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Graanvlokkie

... A young woman in the summit yesterday whom I'd never even interacted with was full of plenty of IC bile and rage, which seemed a bit hard to justify IC in my opinion, having never met or spoken to the woman.  IC bile I've got no issue with, but there's something to be said for believably establishing such feelings ...

Silas is active on IGS from what I have seen, so the IC feelings could easily come from interactions that have been observed on that forum or in other channels. Why should Silas, or any other character, have the opportunity to dispel what they have said or published before another character can make up their mind what their feelings are.

If Graanvlokkie ever met Silas, I have enough IC knowledge about her gathered over the last three years of IGS posts and other channel observations to have a very good opinion.   

I don't think I need to meet someone in person to decide that I like/dislike them when there is ample public information available to inform that decision. We do this everyday when it comes to people in the press and celebrities.

Lyn Farel

Have any of you encountered this sort of behavior in the past?

Yep.

I have also observed the opposite situation on the Summit, where established characters will only engage other established characters and completely ignore new pilots to the channel. Even established players with alternate characters (who are new) will be engaged much more quickly than the unknowns. Some people do make the effort to engage everyone, but I watch the channel often and I find it rather disappointing when fresh faces make the effort and don't even get hello.

Mind you, I'm not trying to guilt anyone into interacting with people, but perhaps being mindful of this behavior will encourage some not to be so cliquish.

This is mostly why I don't really like alts in Eve when it is about alts of established players - and said players do not want to reveal who they are. Nothing particularily wrong with that of course since it is often a way for a lot of people apparently to take a breath and try something new, but it tends to be annoying since most of these alts are 90% of the time disposable alts. I personnally find disposable alts often uninteresting for the very reason that the player is not really planning to play them seriously or long enough. And even if the character is interesting, it does not last long enough to actually become interesting with depth of personnality.

So, yes, it is not always very compelling to engage in discussions with alts, ESPECIALLY when it looks like the new whimsical alt of an established player that is unlikely to last very long. Which is twice more frustrating is that you can't sometimes tell them apart to real, actual and genuine new players.

Not that I have really avoided very hard to engage in discussions with new players. When my character is on a channel, she speaks and reacts to anybody as the logic dictates it.

Ava Starfire

• Queen of Hashbrowns
  • Pod Captain

... A young woman in the summit yesterday whom I'd never even interacted with was full of plenty of IC bile and rage, which seemed a bit hard to justify IC in my opinion, having never met or spoken to the woman.  IC bile I've got no issue with, but there's something to be said for believably establishing such feelings ...

Silas is active on IGS from what I have seen, so the IC feelings could easily come from interactions that have been observed on that forum or in other channels. Why should Silas, or any other character, have the opportunity to dispel what they have said or published before another character can make up their mind what their feelings are.

If Graanvlokkie ever met Silas, I have enough IC knowledge about her gathered over the last three years of IGS posts and other channel observations to have a very good opinion.   

I don't think I need to meet someone in person to decide that I like/dislike them when there is ample public information available to inform that decision. We do this everyday when it comes to people in the press and celebrities.

This.

I never met Adolf Shitler. Fairly sure I wouldnt wait until I did to "make a judgement".

EDIT: Not saying Silas reminds me of him, nor that new characters should be as mouthy as they seem to be. Just saying it IS possible to know enough to make a judgement on things other than direct interaction.

Ava has never spoken directly to Rodj Blake. She's fairly sure she dosent like him  :D
« Last Edit: 22 Aug 2012, 08:45 by Ava Starfire »

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod

I agree with those arguments; 'new' capsuleers absolutely can and probably would have pre-existing feelings towards any number of us before actually meeting. Not disputing this at all.

I think it's just a matter of presentation and how those things are handled conversationally in an RP manor that moves things along.

I absolutely could be 100% wrong but I got the distinct impression (a few others did) that this was more 'rageface' out of nowhere, and the thread was asking about people's experience with this (it's very common).

Gesakaarin

I've never really encountered this situation before in RP. 

Currently I'm not so much playing an alt as much as a fresh main so I just did a tabula rasa and even if I encounter characters I know of or have interacted with in the past I have to suspend that knowledge and play ignorant.

Maybe the situation has occurred to me more often but I just couldn't care enough about other people's problems and RP drama to make a note of it.
Pages: 1 [2]