Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

that the Minmatar military specifically recruits hardened criminals for service in its elite Valklear units, and that many of the Republic's most senior officers were originally recruited in this way?

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Your alt smells of another character's bias *pinches nose*  (Read 3070 times)

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod

Just a bit of a minor pet-peeve,

I'd prefer RPers rolling new characters fresh off the boat to take some time to actually meet or interact with other characters before immediately 'hating' them, etc.  A young woman in the summit yesterday whom I'd never even interacted with was full of plenty of IC bile and rage, which seemed a bit hard to justify IC in my opinion, having never met or spoken to the woman.  IC bile I've got no issue with, but there's something to be said for believably establishing such feelings.

This character didn't seem to have an established 'you killed my baseliner family on that ship' sort of backstory, just what in my opinion was someone having outside issues and dumping them into a fresh alt. *shrug*

Have any of you encountered this sort of behavior in the past?

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind

If you're referring to Shria, a couple people (including at least one mod that I saw) told her to dial it back. Whether that stuck or not we'll find out. :P

A lot of new characters lately have come off as being exceedingly uppity for their age, and I agree it gets old pretty quick. :ugh:

Whether this is due to it being legitimately new-to-RP people just not 'getting EVE', or people who've just made new alts and are trying to start shit to be pains in the ass through the more-transparent-than-they-think veil of althood, I can't really say for certain, though.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod

I forgot her name, didn't check the logs.

I wasn't requesting any special 'protection' or the like from any moderators, just found the interaction a bit silly.

You are correct with this behavior being annoying, however.

Reyd Karris

I rarely go in the Summit myself (not just because I just recently got back in game: I avoided it for a good year before leaving the last time I had an active character). Yesterday I had a wonderful time RP'ing my character being bored and having fun discussing faith and other things. Then, someone comes in and randomly says something to the effect of "Your very existence is repugnant, I want to stab you in the face." Never met the person, never seen them before in-game, and it just didn't feel very nice.

My response? Mute. Problem over. I had a wonderful rest of the evening. I wouldn't have actually been in The Summit had it not been a wise thing to keep a public presence due to a request I made on IGS.

My alts are fairly obvious, for even more obvious reasons. I enjoy my characters, and I learned to just do what I do and not return the worst that I get.

That said, the Golden Rule usually applies. Would you rather someone point out your errors, or for them to commit the same aggravations upon you? The answer is probably obvious, but in the heat of the moment it's hard to see (and sometimes even in hindsight it can be hard, if not harder).

Makkal

• Pod Captain
  • Khanid victor
    • At the End of Your Journey

Shria?

There was a string of young, female capsuleers who regarded Makkal as prudish. Admittedly, Makkal is quite prudish, but they seemed to know this without having interacted with her.

Otherwise, I've had the opposite happen. Characters who don't know Makkal or have reason to interact with her making sure to engage her and trying to make friends. This doesn't bother me.
Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars!

Current Events

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod

It's not an avoidance issue, it's just something I've noticed more of lately than in earlier iterations of these channels.

There's a lack of subtlety afoot.

Matariki Rain

• Sweet, gentle Mata
  • Pod Captain

I'm not sure whether it's relevant in this case, but I imagine it would be quite possible for a new player or for a newly-graduated pilot to have strong and justified feelings about those older pilots who have extensive IGS presences.

Reyd Karris

I'm not sure whether it's relevant in this case, but I imagine it would be quite possible for a new player or for a newly-graduated pilot to have strong and justified feelings about those older pilots who have extensive IGS presences.
I quite agree.

Silas:

Definitely agree, just sharing my own experiences.  :D

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod

There's just an absolute minute amount of planning to do if you want to have a new character 'hate' someone in a believable manor.

While not ideal in my opinion I think there is plenty of ground to explore and plenty of valid reasons for a 'new' capsuleer to have it in for any of us (you killed my family when you ganked that freighter, you're famous and i hate everything about you, you're famous and I'm a psycho stalker, whatever)

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod

Super correct, but there's doing this in a fun and intriguing way where we all have some good interaction, and then there's not.

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind

From what I was watching last night, this was not the case, or at least it was heavily implied not to be.

The attitude would've been less "I'm just going to be uppity and argue because I can" if it were.

But yes, it's a valid option - if the person behind the character takes a few minutes to actually think it through. An "I'm just as big and important as all of you" attitude coming off of a character barely a week old is just... well. It's laughable, for starters.
« Last Edit: 21 Aug 2012, 12:58 by Morwen Lagann »
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Khloe

• Silent Watcher
  • Egger

I have also observed the opposite situation on the Summit, where established characters will only engage other established characters and completely ignore new pilots to the channel. Even established players with alternate characters (who are new) will be engaged much more quickly than the unknowns. Some people do make the effort to engage everyone, but I watch the channel often and I find it rather disappointing when fresh faces make the effort and don't even get hello.

Mind you, I'm not trying to guilt anyone into interacting with people, but perhaps being mindful of this behavior will encourage some not to be so cliquish.

Matariki Rain

• Sweet, gentle Mata
  • Pod Captain

Mind you, I'm not trying to guilt anyone into interacting with people, but perhaps being mindful of this behavior will encourage some not to be so cliquish.

But some of us are shy. :P

Khloe

• Silent Watcher
  • Egger

But some of us are shy. :P
Well, you're (at least your character) certainly not one of them. You've been a rather vocal presence when I was around. :)

Tiberious Thessalonia

• Everyone's favorite philositoaster
  • Pod Captain
  • Panini Press

I dunno, I try to say hello at least to anyone new coming through.  Im actually LESS likely to acknowledge you if I happen to know you are an alt, mostly because I'm not a HUGE fan of RP alts.  They have their purposes, of course, but... eh.
Do you see it now?  Something is different.  Something is never was in the first part!
Pages: [1] 2