Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Ishukone corporation manufactures the mind altering Transcranial Microcontroller?

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Returning, in the midst of a bi-annual crisis...  (Read 3506 times)

Aldrith Shutaq

• Fleet Captain
  • Pod Captain
Re: Returning, in the midst of a bi-annual crisis...
« Reply #15 on: 15 Aug 2012, 14:25 »

I can only really imagine my Amarr character as being somewhat estranged from the common loyalist sympathies (he's a Khanid zealot) and potentially Tetrimon-sympathetic. If I could find like-minded Amarr pilots, however, that would be a significant push toward the Empire in my book.

A manu dei e tet rimon!

Namkhai Sin

• Clonejack
« Reply #16 on: 15 Aug 2012, 16:32 »

I can only really imagine my Amarr character as being somewhat estranged from the common loyalist sympathies (he's a Khanid zealot) and potentially Tetrimon-sympathetic. If I could find like-minded Amarr pilots, however, that would be a significant push toward the Empire in my book.

A manu dei e tet rimon!

Can I take that as an indication of similar sympathies?

kalaratiri

• Kalalalaakiota
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
  • Shes mad but shes magic, theres no lie in her fire
« Reply #17 on: 15 Aug 2012, 22:50 »

Playing a Minmatar is probably a lot like playing any other race, but with far more cool tattoos, and shouting. Lots of shouting.

But seriously, as a long term Minmatar player, I would say that it opens up options for some really tight knit groups, but at the same time can end up being rather cliquey, and with lots of disgruntled parties all wondering why those other Minmatar are so weird :P

If you can find a groups of Minmatar RPers, that you really really enjoy being involved with, I'd say it's some of the most fun you can have in eve RP. On the other handfinding said group can be a right pain in the arse.

Thanks for your reply! :)

Do you mind if I ask a bit about how Minmatar characters tend to be developed? What are some generally-accepted cliches to avoid? What are the outlooks of some of the significant corps and alliances, in terms of politics?

Political outlooks can be split into two main factions; hawks and doves, with the hawks asking for all out war with the Amarr, and the doves wanting to drop it and get on with fixing the gaping holes in the post-empyrean age republic.

These factions can be further split into tribalists and republicans, but there is some overlap (e.g. Republican hawks, tribalists doves. The most 'stereotypical' types are Republican doves and Tribalist hawks). Tribalists want to go back into related but independent tribal societies like the pre-republic Minmatar, while the republicans want to build and expand on the current political system.

Player entities that encompass these outlooks would have Ushra'Khan and Defient Legacy as tribalists and hawks, while Electus Matari and to some extent RE-AW would probably count as Republican Doves. However, several EM members will probably shoot me for saying that as some of them are quite definitely hawks and/or tribalists.

(Note: Hawks and Doves are not the normal names used IC, I'm just calling them that for ease of understanding. The nearest equivalent would probably be 'shakorite' and 'midularite', but these have Tribal and Republican connotations as well as aggressive/pacifist ones.)

As for general stereotypes to avoid.. Well, as Kyber said 'ex-slave' characters do seem to be the norm, or at lest very common, but that doesn't make them bad. People will probably have no problems with an ex-slave as long as they're done in a fairly original way.

One thing I would say to avoid is getting your character heavily involved in a 'My master touched me and had my mother/sister/aunt/etc locked in a breeding center!' kind of backstory. While this can have it's place, it does tend to lead to quite a lot of eye rolling.

This turned into a really long post for me o.0 Hope it helps  :)

"Eve roleplayers scare me." - The Mittani

Matariki Rain

• Sweet, gentle Mata
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #18 on: 16 Aug 2012, 03:40 »

I enjoyed Kala's summary. There are blends of themes across the usual lines, and the Midularite/Shakorite tension has been diminished now that Shakor is in power and has (apparently) failed to deliver any noticeable change, but you get that in politics. I do sometimes miss the subtle tensions over tribal and Republican politics. Mata has worded some of her internal statements very carefully. :)

Some more common themes in Minmatar roleplay:

The Sword and the Shield: focus on freeing those still in slavery vs focus on making a good place and society for those living in freedom.

The Pure and the Wise: using only Matari gear vs using whatever does the job best/is to hand (AKA Khumaak philosophy) (this dichotomy gets right up some people's noses, by the way, for suggesting that the other way is impure or unwise).

The Returned and the Freeborn: an oversimplification.

Clanfolk and Unattached

Marked and Unmarked

Republic Fleet vs RSS: yep, that used to be a meme, and some of us have backgrounds coloured by it.

I'd throw in a bunch of stuff about neoTrads, Galmatar, Amarrish-speaking God-worshippers, and the general weirdness you get when a bunch of often quite damaged people try to set up a society and state from scratch.

Some cliches (apply only with thought and care): 
Bad mark
Extreme anger or brokenness, without redeeming features to make others care
Inclusive neopagan shamans
Klingon Brutor
Vulcan Sebiestor
"Pregnant by aliens again, huh?", which is shorthand for "You like your RP with an extra side of :drama:, don't you?"

kalaratiri

• Kalalalaakiota
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
« Reply #19 on: 16 Aug 2012, 03:55 »

I'm more than willing to defer to anything Mata says, as she's far better at this kind of thing than I am ;)

Matariki Rain

• Sweet, gentle Mata
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #20 on: 16 Aug 2012, 04:08 »

That was actually an informal and very personal list, and not by any means delivered ex cathedra. :P

I'd like to pull some of this stuff together into a guide to Minmatar, though. Most of our immersion is about doing the things we do--combat, industry, diplomacy, alliance politics--in character, and sometimes it is nice to layer in things from the history and all the many subtle differences.

kalaratiri

• Kalalalaakiota
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
« Reply #21 on: 16 Aug 2012, 04:10 »

Sounds like a good idea, and I'd be more than happy to help once I get back from New Zealand (Saturday).

Matariki Rain

• Sweet, gentle Mata
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #22 on: 16 Aug 2012, 04:11 »

Sounds like a good idea, and I'd be more than happy to help once I get back from New Zealand (Saturday).

You're in Auckland?

:| So close, and yet an eight-hour drive or 1.25-hour flight away.

kalaratiri

• Kalalalaakiota
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
« Reply #23 on: 16 Aug 2012, 04:15 »

I know :( I would have loved to come visit you guys, but my grandparents are in their eighties and this is likely the last time I'll get to see them both, so I've been staying in the area. I've been able to visit some of the nearby places like Bethel's beach and the Waitakeres(sp) though, so I've been able to get a reasonable idea of life in New Zealand :)

Thread hijacking!! Whoo!

Matariki Rain

• Sweet, gentle Mata
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #24 on: 16 Aug 2012, 04:19 »

Oh well. Priorities are clear.

Auckland's my hometown (although much changed since I left it). I'm glad you've had the chance to see some of it and its surroundings.

Arnulf Ogunkoya

• Moral Compass (apparently)
  • Pod Captain
    • Livejournal profile
« Reply #25 on: 16 Aug 2012, 15:53 »

<snip>
Vulcan Sebiestor
</snip>

Oh dear. Looked at in a certain light I might have fallen into this one.  :D
Kind Regards,
Arnulf Ogunkoya.

Matariki Rain

• Sweet, gentle Mata
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #26 on: 16 Aug 2012, 16:07 »

<snip>
Vulcan Sebiestor
</snip>

Oh dear. Looked at in a certain light I might have fallen into this one.  :D

I identified it when I found myself doing it. It has its place...

hellgremlin

• Pathological liar, do not believe
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #27 on: 18 Aug 2012, 19:16 »

You could try playing a Minmatar exile with a bad Voluval mark!
Pages: 1 [2]