Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Placid Reborn is a corporation dedicated to the self-determination and prosperity of the Intaki home system and its immediate surroundings? Read more here

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Returning, in the midst of a bi-annual crisis...  (Read 3507 times)

Namkhai Sin

• Clonejack

Hi there!

I'm a player returning to Eve after having dabbled in the game for a few months here and there over the last four years or so. I stumbled across this board quite by accident, and I was really impressed with how mature, grounded, well-educated, and interesting the regulars here are. As an (undergraduate) student of cultural anthropology and linguistics, I've been delighted to find so many people with overlapping interests working to flesh out the Eve setting.

I joined up here principally because I'm in the middle of the same semi-crisis I've had every time I've picked up a pilot's license over the last few years: the decision to fly as Minmatar or Amarr is one I find exceptionally difficult. The trial character I'm working with at the moment is Amarr, but I've been having pangs of conscience recently over giving assent to slavery.  :P I suppose the decision will ultimately rely on which race, in practice, would be more fun.

I know that if I play a Minmatar character, there will be options available to me as far as playing the role I would like and flying in a like-minded corporation. I can only really imagine my Amarr character as being somewhat estranged from the common loyalist sympathies (he's a Khanid zealot) and potentially Tetrimon-sympathetic. If I could find like-minded Amarr pilots, however, that would be a significant push toward the Empire in my book. Not that I feel entitled to your responses, but I am certainly not opposed to folks on the board plugging for their own race, corporation, or alliance.  ;)

If you'd rather I bring this question to another board, please let me know. Thanks for having me!
NS
« Last Edit: 14 Aug 2012, 12:09 by Namkhai Sin »

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
Re: Returning, in the midst of a bi-annual crisis...
« Reply #1 on: 14 Aug 2012, 12:01 »

Hi, and welcome aboard!

ArtOfLight

« Reply #2 on: 14 Aug 2012, 12:07 »

Welcome!

I'm currently working on creating an Amarr corporation that's a slightly different cut from the usual and may play into your interests. However, as the idea is not fully fleshed out yet, I'd prefer to talk with you about it and get some feedback, ideas and responses from you regarding it.

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #3 on: 14 Aug 2012, 12:09 »

Well hello there!

I stumbled across this board quite by accident, and I was really impressed with how mature, grounded, ...

You have not yet seen the bitter. You will learn, in time. :P

I'm joining up here principally because I'm in the middle of the same semi-crisis I have every time I've picked up a pilot's license over the last few years: the decision to fly as Minmatar or Amarr is one I find exceptionally difficult.

This is something a lot of people go through. Don't worry, it's not just you.

I know that if I play a Minmatar character, there will be options available to me as far as playing the role I would like and flying in a like-minded corporation. I can only really imagine my Amarr character as being somewhat estranged from the common loyalist sympathies (he's a Khanid zealot) and potentially Tetrimon-sympathetic. If I could find like-minded Amarr pilots, however, that would be a significant push for the Empire in my book.

Finding other explicitly Tetrimon-sympathetic Amarr is unlikely given that openly displaying such sympathies is a good way to get your whole family enslaved in the Empire.

Amarr with goals that could be seen to coincide with your character's, however, could be found. In fact, you rather interest me - throw me a line ingame for a chat.

EDIT: Azdan got their first, I see - talk to him as well if you're looking for Amarr stuffs to possibly work with.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Namkhai Sin

• Clonejack
« Reply #4 on: 14 Aug 2012, 12:12 »

Thanks for the quick responses! :)

Welcome!

I'm currently working on creating an Amarr corporation that's a slightly different cut from the usual and may play into your interests. However, as the idea is not fully fleshed out yet, I'd prefer to talk with you about it and get some feedback, ideas and responses from you regarding it.

Most definitely! Would you like me to shoot you a PM here or try and reach you in-game?

ArtOfLight

« Reply #5 on: 14 Aug 2012, 12:18 »

You can send an in-game mail to me and I'll contact you through it so we can arrange an actual conversation, I find it works a little better.

Character name is Azdan Amith.

Namkhai Sin

• Clonejack
« Reply #6 on: 14 Aug 2012, 12:21 »

You can send an in-game mail to me and I'll contact you through it so we can arrange an actual conversation, I find it works a little better.

Character name is Azdan Amith.

Sounds good. My wifi is broken at the moment, so I'm patching the game client using my cell phone as a wifi hotspot. Might take me a while to get on. If you want to shoot me a message in advance, my character name is the same as my username.

ArtOfLight

« Reply #7 on: 14 Aug 2012, 14:45 »

I'd recommend speaking with Esna actually. He's been playing far longer than me and has proven to be far more consistent.

At this present juncture, it would be unfair of me to try and persuade you to cast your lot in with me.

Good luck in whatever you choose to do though!

Namkhai Sin

• Clonejack
« Reply #8 on: 14 Aug 2012, 17:29 »

I've added you both as contacts - I'd love to engage with as many people in RP circles as I can, so if either of you would like to talk about where we stand, I'm game.

ArtOfLight

• Retired Combat Pilot
  • Omelette
  • Bright Stars, Clear Horizons
« Reply #9 on: 14 Aug 2012, 17:46 »

I am still available for conversation any time you want.
"A man's courage can be measured by what he does, his wisdom by what he chooses not to do and his character by the sum of both."

Namkhai Sin

• Clonejack
« Reply #10 on: 14 Aug 2012, 17:53 »

I am still available for conversation any time you want.

I'm afraid my mouse is broken, and I can't find a way to send you mail in-game without right clicking, but I've added you as a contact and I'm online now.

Namkhai Sin

• Clonejack
« Reply #11 on: 14 Aug 2012, 20:14 »

I would also really like to hear from Minmatar players and corporations about what that experience is like. :)

kalaratiri

• Kalalalaakiota
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
  • Shes mad but shes magic, theres no lie in her fire
« Reply #12 on: 14 Aug 2012, 22:06 »

Playing a Minmatar is probably a lot like playing any other race, but with far more cool tattoos, and shouting. Lots of shouting.

But seriously, as a long term Minmatar player, I would say that it opens up options for some really tight knit groups, but at the same time can end up being rather cliquey, and with lots of disgruntled parties all wondering why those other Minmatar are so weird :P

If you can find a groups of Minmatar RPers, that you really really enjoy being involved with, I'd say it's some of the most fun you can have in eve RP. On the other handfinding said group can be a right pain in the arse.

"Eve roleplayers scare me." - The Mittani

Namkhai Sin

• Clonejack
« Reply #13 on: 14 Aug 2012, 22:46 »

Playing a Minmatar is probably a lot like playing any other race, but with far more cool tattoos, and shouting. Lots of shouting.

But seriously, as a long term Minmatar player, I would say that it opens up options for some really tight knit groups, but at the same time can end up being rather cliquey, and with lots of disgruntled parties all wondering why those other Minmatar are so weird :P

If you can find a groups of Minmatar RPers, that you really really enjoy being involved with, I'd say it's some of the most fun you can have in eve RP. On the other handfinding said group can be a right pain in the arse.

Thanks for your reply! :)

Do you mind if I ask a bit about how Minmatar characters tend to be developed? What are some generally-accepted cliches to avoid? What are the outlooks of some of the significant corps and alliances, in terms of politics?

Kybernetes Moros

« Reply #14 on: 15 Aug 2012, 05:25 »

I used to be in Re-Awakened Technologies, which was at the time a part of Electus Matari, one of the bigger RP alliances. Back then, it took a fairly steady "build the Republic up through industry" approach, but that was getting on at least two years ago; don't take my word for it being the same now.

As for clichés, there are lots of ex-slave characters. Whether this is a good or bad thing I leave to you, though.
Pages: [1] 2