Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That the Intaki Assembly responded directly to Julianus Soter's and other's request for information regarding Ishukone and Mordus Legion around Intaki Prime? For more, read here

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: On echo chambers and popularity contests  (Read 7447 times)

Ciarente

• Owner of the thickest rose-colored glasses in the Cluster
  • The Mods
  • Pod Captain
Silver Night > I feel like we should keep Cia in reserve. A little bit for Cia's sanity, but mostly because her putting on her mod hat is like calling in Rommel to deal with a paintball game.

Victoria Stecker

• Pod Captain
Re: On echo chambers and popularity contests
« Reply #16 on: 13 Aug 2012, 13:07 »

Is there any place to interact that has a meaningful impact on the game? I like my roleplay to enhance my gaming experience, not separated from what I do in space. It's what I feel is lacking in bar RP and the Summit.

In space? Local chat?

Various pvp/rp corps, lowsec, nullsec, etc. Chatting with someone in a channel is fun for character development but you're right, it doens't do a lot for the game itself. Making in-space decisions based on RP can help - anything from which rats you shoot to what sort of PvE or PvP you like to do, where you like to fly, who you fly with, etc.

Personally, I think that the Summit is best used as a place to meet new people, decide which ones are worth speaking to, and them arrange to hang out/do stuff elsewhere. Shortly after I started RP, Kyber opened a bar for a bunch of us to hang out in, where some hilariously derp shenanigans were had, along with many lols, before it was sprayed down by a snowblower of human vomit. Derp.

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #17 on: 13 Aug 2012, 13:46 »

course there's an echo chamber

people say things in the summit to score points in OOC channel, as people say "lol".

people talking about RP things in OOC, their discussion gets shut down, by the same handful of people suddenly wanting to talk about their sex toys. It's happened several times. The same people do it. They still do, but because they're pally with some other people, they don't get the smackdown that other people do.

\o/

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #18 on: 13 Aug 2012, 13:52 »

I have never seen that last bit in OOC, and that's as someone whose principal social connection in EVE is through that channel. That is to say, I've seen very little sex toy talk, though I have seen RP discussions brushed aside for ship talk. I can't complain too much about that last bit, though, because, well, it's EVE.

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #19 on: 13 Aug 2012, 14:01 »

Happened a while back. Maybe still does. People got told off, they didn't learn from it.
\o/

Bastian Valoron

• Egger
« Reply #20 on: 13 Aug 2012, 14:49 »

It doesn't have to be sex toys. It can be ship fittings, eating pizza, how your fleet is doing etc. Less flooding is needed to end the uninteresting RP conversation if one selects a diversion with a bit of shock value.

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #21 on: 13 Aug 2012, 15:06 »

In addition, people have suggested the ones involved in the conversation about RP related things, should take it to a private channel.
\o/

Ember Vykos

• Not so bitter bitter fucking vet...
  • Pod Captain
  • I bring nothing to the table.
« Reply #22 on: 13 Aug 2012, 16:31 »

In addition, people have suggested the ones involved in the conversation about RP related things, should take it to a private channel.

Well tbh some things probably should be taken to a private channel. Kat and I both have storylines going atm that while some people will probably be included outside of just us and IRED we aren't gonna go blabbing to the summit about it either. In my opinion that's just stupid and unrealistic. I wouldn't go telling everyone on TV about my personal life so why does that mean we have to with our characters?
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Current active RP character(s) - Kairelle
Past RP characters - Ember Vykos, Simca Develon

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #23 on: 13 Aug 2012, 16:42 »

I mean in OOC channel. 2(or more) people are talking about a RP thing, say... amarr culture. Someone appears, and wants to talk about something else, and becomes disruptive, suggesting the people talking about amarr culture should go somewhere else, because they want to talk about their cat, or homeopathy or whatever.
\o/

Lyn Farel

« Reply #24 on: 13 Aug 2012, 16:49 »

Lyn, I think the reason that you've been having problems of late is that when you argue with people you have been coming off as "Arguing to argue".  This is a position that isn't helped when people see your arguements as not even requiring the other person to be present, IE that you aren't listening to the counterarguments being put forward to you.

I have not seen a lot of element of an echo chamber, myself.  If you could tell me some specific instances, it might help.

Without any offense, you are the perfect example of the echo chamber in question with this answer, and probably part of it. Have you ever considered that I could actually say the same, that people are not actually reading my own arguments and counterarguments ?

There is also something, where I may of course cause a lot of debate here and there, but the difference with some people is that I do not try in each of my post to make my opponent feel that I despise him with a condescending tone, or just threaten him to "deal with him since I have the power to do so".

At least, I am a bit surprised to see that this post has not degenerated yet.

If there's nowhere else a character can RP, perhaps the character needs altering. Failing that, there's always the route of taking the initiative and approaching people outside of any particular channel.

I can't sacrifice character's credibility and depth by always altering it to fit to my needs ingame. If I had done so Lyn would already be a nobody lost/melted in the mass of non RPers. RP implies restrictions and limitations.

Is English your primary language, Lyn?

I thought it was obvious that it is not... Hence the fact that I sometimes do not see what can be percieved as offensive by people when I should. But I just mostly think differently most of the time, which is quite frustrating. I know it is true since it happens everywhere, RL included.

If there's nowhere else a character can RP, perhaps the character needs altering. Failing that, there's always the route of taking the initiative and approaching people outside of any particular channel.

Man, so much this.

Logic would dictate is that if a lot of people cant find RP out of the Summit, then there is a ton of players looking to RP outside of the Summit. 

Ive roleplayed in EVE for something like three years.  Ive only RPed in the Summitt like a dozen times, probably less, and only one of those times was a meaningful exchange really. ( a cool conversation with Malcom that I really enjoyed)

The answer is that you are part of a "vibrant" RP milieu (compared to others), which is the minmatar one. You also have been in contact with the right circles and always had a way to play your own RP in your own private corner more suited to your tastes. It was the case for me too when I was in KotMC. When I left though, I got right in the face the harsh reality where your RP options are close to non existant. It is always easy to tell people to go RP elsewhere. Obviously it is, until you start actually searching. It is always easy to tell people to create their own thing... Until you start creating something, which fails miserably. Do not think that because nothing exists besides the Summit, people did not try to do something else.
« Last Edit: 13 Aug 2012, 16:53 by Lyn Farel »

Ember Vykos

• Not so bitter bitter fucking vet...
  • Pod Captain
  • I bring nothing to the table.
« Reply #25 on: 13 Aug 2012, 17:47 »

I mean in OOC channel. 2(or more) people are talking about a RP thing, say... amarr culture. Someone appears, and wants to talk about something else, and becomes disruptive, suggesting the people talking about amarr culture should go somewhere else, because they want to talk about their cat, or homeopathy or whatever.

Ahh, misunderstood ya there. My bad.  :D
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Current active RP character(s) - Kairelle
Past RP characters - Ember Vykos, Simca Develon

Graelyn

• Ye Olde One
  • Veteran
  • These things just seem to happen...
« Reply #26 on: 13 Aug 2012, 19:22 »

The Summit is not intended to be the end-all-be-all of RP.

It's the front lobby.

It's where you get noticed by like-minded people and get dragged away into a dark room.

A great deal of people never get past the front door. They're stuck in the lobby indefinately, bitching about the wallpaper.

This is not a Victory Condition. You should examine why you are still stuck in the lobby.

I should probably just delete the channel and be done with it. RPers are a terrible bunch of people for the most part, and trying to keep them happy is a Sisyphean task, a self-inflicted wound.
« Last Edit: 13 Aug 2012, 19:31 by Graelyn »

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!
Pages: 1 [2]