Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That the expansion name "Incarna" was Stitcher's winning entry in an E-ON magazine competition?

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8

Author Topic: Loosening the straps (ooooh).  (Read 23248 times)

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
Re: Loosening the straps (ooooh).
« Reply #90 on: 07 Aug 2012, 10:12 »

+ 10,000 for your changes, Graeylyn.

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #91 on: 07 Aug 2012, 13:24 »

Incoming longpost. You've been warned.

I feel that we are directing the banhammer at the wrong people. Personally, it is not slavers that I would like to see banned. I have difficulties to get into the Summit myself, more and more, precisely because of a whole different kind of roleplayers. All the emo characters that like to lurk around, and all the strawman alts that seem to pop everyday. To my eyes they are the ones spoiling the atmosphere.

If you actually spent more time in the channel watching what happens, and less time arguing for the sake of arguing, you would have noticed that the people who are having the modhammer swung at them lately are the very same people you're complaining about there. It is those people - the players who are prone to making strawman alts, drama llamas and attention whores - who fall on the wrong side of the "slaves" issue. Not the people or characters who have even the slightest amount of common sense or respect for the other people in the channel.

What Casi said earlier is entirely true. If you think that a policy intended to curb slave presence in the Summit, and punish Holders for the misbehavior of their slaves, is a segregationist and biased policy, you might want to stop flapping your gums for a minute and take note that there are at least five people on the moderator team who are directly or indirectly involved with Amarrian slavery, including three Holders who all own slaves.

I beg you again, do not start to shun decent slavers for what other morons do with slavery.

Again, if you spent more time paying attention to the channel (I know it's excruciatingly painful at times, HTFU) instead of arguing for its own sake, you'd have noticed this is not something we are doing or intend to do. In fact, the decent slavers have approved of the idea, because as stated earlier, a real slave has no business being on the channel in the first place, and if they're misbehaving, that is a failure of their Holder to rein them in. As for the BDSM fetish fantasy alts, well, they're the ones calling themselves slaves. We can't really just give them a pass because we think they're just a bunch of BDSM fetishists that call themselves slaves.

We also have not been singling out Holders or slaves or Amarrian RP. In fact, it could be argued we're helping clean it up by getting rid of the strawmen who think :tonyg: needs help shitting up the faction even further than he's already done. We've always been going after attention-whoring drama llamas who make the channel a toxic waste dump. The current flavor of the month for those people just happens to be strawman Amarrian or slave alts lately whose sole purpose is the very thing we've been trying to keep out of the channel, and as a result, guess what issue finds itself being brought to the fore a lot? That's right: "slave" characters and the irresponsible Holders who let them use the channel in the first place.

tl;dr: Strawmen alts, drama-llamas and attentionwhores have flavors of the month just like most other parts of the game. The current FOTM just happens to be "create moustache-twirling evil slavers that abuse slaves who spew stupid drama all over." The people who aren't causing trouble are not in danger of getting caught in the crossfire.

I believe that some of the moderators have an interest in having "rules" because it is easier for us to deal with offenders in the short term if we can point to a rule and say "...no, you violated THIS." than have to deal with the extended back-and-forth about moderator bias and what not.

At the same time, the best rules are the flexible ones, IMO.

So, it comes down to the apparent impartiality of the mod team vs. the ability to flexibly handle any situation. I'd love to lean more toward the latter, but if a mod moves without a specific rule being violated (and sometimes even with) it seems like an inevitability they'll be accused of moderator bias, arguments breed resentment, appeals will be tossed around forever, etc...

As Esna says here, the issue of using explicit rules, versus depending on moderator discretion, is a lose-lose scenario for the moderators. It doesn't matter what we do: the mods are always going to be fighting an uphill battle against people who want to game the system and cause trouble. Use explicit rules, and people will use it as an excuse to come up with and exploit loopholes. Go with the latter, and there's going to be constant accusations of moderator bias and power abuse coupled with a whiny bleating of "BUT THE RULES DIDN'T SAY I COULDN'T" and "SHOW ME ON THE RULES WHERE IT SAYS THIS IS BAD" over a moderator even twitching an eyebrow at someone, let alone giving someone an informal warning to stay away from the line.

Ironically, the people who bitch loudest about mod bias are often the ones who are causing trouble and in the crosshairs of the modhammer. Also noteworthy: if there were actually an appreciable amount of mod bias, there would've been a lot more bannings and mutings than there have been, and it would've started a while back instead of letting things snowball to the point where the moderator team was forced to act.

In the end we do need some rules and guidelines. We don't need a library of them, but we need something. If all that was necessary to get the point across was "if you're going to act like genitals, be aware you're going to be kicked in them very hard" we'd probably have already gone with that and this discussion probably wouldn't be happening.

tl;dr: People are going to bitch at and about the mods no matter what they do. Some people want draconian, some people want the wild west. Our job is to keep the channel in a state that's usable for as many people as possible: this means taking out the trash when it gets too smelly.

On a more personal note, what Ava said is very true. Of the characters who have come into the Summit who self-identify as "slaves", I can't think of even one that wasn't there causing drama and shitting up the channel. People got tired of it to the point that any one of these characters logging in resulted in a massive wave of eyerolling, facepalming, and a chorus of "here we go again" in various channels. When I start seeing that in multiple channels at once from a variety of different people, i know there's a problem that needs dealing with.

I'd rather not apply the modhammer to people if possible. I would prefer to try and sort things out without needing to resort to it, as would the other mods, but when all other methods fail to produce a change in behavior, I (and, I would expect, the other mods) am not going to shy away from using the tools available to attempt solving the problem with brute force.

The only reason I came across as "the bad guy" is that I was the one being poked with the most complaints through various mediums and was the one taking action in response. If people had been poking other moderators instead, it would've been them taking action, not me. Furthermore, the people who were the "victims" of my foul, dastardly, oppressive swinging of the modhammer were people who had repeatedly been reported, complained about and smacked for misbehavior, where "repeatedly" is an understatement of one of the highest magnitudes.

Outside of very clear line-crossings or offenses (say, someone dodging a mute or a ban by logging in an alt), I never took action without consulting at least one other moderator first. In other words, if you got a mute or a ban from me, I can give a near 100% guarantee that someone else signed off on it before it was put in place. Given what I've seen from the other moderators, I'd be hard-pressed to say this isn't the case for the rest of them as well.

tl;dr: We don't act unilaterally if we can avoid it, but if what you do is so obviously out of line that it requires immediate attention, yes, we are going to shove the stick up your ass first and ask the other mods if they think you mind splinters later. Most importantly: if a mod has to resort to a mute or a ban to deal with your bullshit, you are fucking doing it wrong. Period.

Being a moderator, either in a chat channel or on a forum, is extremely frustrating most of the time, and never easy. You always have to watch your step because no matter what you do, people will bitch and moan about it as if it's the end of the world, and how you're terrible and should be removed. It's always about what they want as individuals, and never about what is best for the channel/forum community as a whole. Very frequently someone will report something that actually needs to be taken care of, only to have them turn around and bitch you out as soon as it's one of their friends in the crosshairs.

Exceedingly few people ever step up and thank you for what you do. We're not here to make your lives difficult or miserable (except when you're making life difficult or miserable for the community). We're here to keep the Summit an enjoyable and interesting place for people to go for RP. None of us have to do it. But we do it anyway because we care about the community.

Something to keep in mind.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Ember Vykos

• Not so bitter bitter fucking vet...
  • Pod Captain
  • I bring nothing to the table.
« Reply #92 on: 07 Aug 2012, 13:35 »

Im of the opinion a degree in something importantish doesnt make you not an idiot.

+1 for that wonderful bit of trufax, and +10,007 (I think that count is right since Silas skewed it a bit) for Graelyn.

We've always been going after attention-whoring drama llamas who make the channel a toxic waste dump.

And I for one can't thank you guys enough for this.

Good post Morwen. And thanks.  :cube:

« Last Edit: 07 Aug 2012, 13:45 by Ember Vykos »
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Current active RP character(s) - Kairelle
Past RP characters - Ember Vykos, Simca Develon

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #93 on: 07 Aug 2012, 15:14 »

Frustrated Morlag is frustrated. (And not without reason, I'll add. :) )

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
« Reply #94 on: 07 Aug 2012, 19:17 »

PLUSWAN

ArtOfLight

« Reply #95 on: 07 Aug 2012, 20:11 »

Despite its length and clear show of frustration, I'd have to say your post is not only very informative, it's reflective of what I've been personally witnessing from the moderators.

I just wanted to voice some support for the lot of you as you go to great lengths to help keep the place open yet regulated for enjoyment and immersion.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #96 on: 08 Aug 2012, 04:20 »

The whole post

We might not be speaking about the same things. You are eluding my actual points while stating the obvious. I do never argue for the sake of arguing, and I am sorry you think I do. I, for one, find that debate and constructive discussion is always a good thing as long as it remains constructive. I also do not see the point of playing the sophist either. Do not confuse me with my character.

I was not refering to people playing slaves, I was refering to the clear rule written on the summit motd, which is "NO PARADING OF SLAVES". Sorry, I just disagree and will continue to strongly voice against that kind of things. If this is IC (and since it is written in the motd, it is), then I will voice against it IC. But since I know it also comes from OOC bleeding and misconceptions, I also disapprove OOCly. I do not care if you want to ban BDSM slaves or whatever comes here, and the slavers parading them. It does not make a lot of sense IC, but it certainly does OOCly. But when I see people like Leopold (or other slavers that actually are not playing the nice slavers like Esna, Nico, etc) with slaves in the background like you will find voluvals on Matari flesh, slavers that are directly targeted by this rule, I have to admit that it pisses me off.

Yes, I think that channel has had a tendancy to fall into the politically correct syndrome recently, and yes, I spend at least a little time watching what happens here. I may not do it as much as yourself, but it does not mean that my opinion is irrelevant too. Yes, I still do think that this channel has lost its neutrality over the time, and has become somewhat segregationist in is principles. It is still tolerable de facto, but on paper, it is not to my eyes.

You sound like you think that I think mods are not doing their job, when they actually do, and also, congrats for that, you have all my support. You will also note that most of my points in my previous posts where not specifically adressed to you, moderators, but to some of the previous posts with which I totally disagree with.

And finally, on rules vs mod discretion : just tell them to gtfo, who care if they complain ? That is your channel, not theirs. I want draconian, but not draconian bureaucrat. Some guidelines are fine, and probably better, though.

It also goes the same way with me, if I bother you enough (and it is definitly not a big deal, unlike it may seem), same thing : tell me to stfu, it is your channel, your rules, your ethics.

Sidenote : and yes, it has always amazed me how most of people tend to favor their (internet) friendship over ethics.
« Last Edit: 08 Aug 2012, 04:25 by Lyn Farel »

Ava Starfire

• Queen of Hashbrowns
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #97 on: 08 Aug 2012, 17:01 »

How can I put this very plainly....

We overruled the "No slaves in summit rule" to be "If the slave fucks up, slave and holder get banned". I mentioned this like, I dunno... 3 days ago? I think the MOTD just hasnt been changed yet. When dramawhore slaves show up, we will nuke them for being dramawhores, not for being slaves.

Does that address this?

Lyn Farel

« Reply #98 on: 09 Aug 2012, 04:21 »

\o/

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #99 on: 09 Aug 2012, 10:56 »

The Summit is an IC channel, and is moderated IC.

If people have a problem, then why don't they, you know, do stuff IC about it ?
\o/

Casiella

• Demigod
« Reply #100 on: 09 Aug 2012, 10:59 »

Holding a slave owner responsible for their slaves' behavior sounds pretty IC to me.

Tiberious Thessalonia

• Everyone's favorite philositoaster
  • Pod Captain
  • Panini Press
« Reply #101 on: 09 Aug 2012, 11:05 »

The Summit is actually moderated both IC and OOC, at least from my end of the moderation spectrum.  If someone is being an OOC ass, I have no issue with banning them on an OOC basis.  Even across multiple characters.

You have to be doing something pretty bad to draw that kind of attention though.
Do you see it now?  Something is different.  Something is never was in the first part!

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #102 on: 09 Aug 2012, 11:12 »

Holding a slave owner responsible for their slaves' behavior sounds pretty IC to me.

Yes. However, if people have consequences for their actions in the Summit, then why don't those people do something IC about it ? why the rush to complain in OOC channel first ? vOv
\o/

Casiella

• Demigod
« Reply #103 on: 09 Aug 2012, 16:18 »

Because of what Tiberious just said.

Lyn, I have to ask: are you really reading what people say?

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
« Reply #104 on: 09 Aug 2012, 20:08 »

Yes. However, if people have consequences for their actions in the Summit, then why don't those people do something IC about it ? why the rush to complain in OOC channel first ? vOv

Complaining IC usually gets the same response anyways. The moderators don't want to hear it at all. 'Take your slap on the wrist and shush.' sort of thing...
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8