Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The Ishukone corporation is one of the major players in the 'liberal' faction and was the first non-Jovian organization to receive capsule technology from the Jovians?

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: [Chron] 514  (Read 5257 times)

Matariki Rain

• Sweet, gentle Mata
  • Pod Captain
Re: [Chron] 514
« Reply #15 on: 24 Jul 2012, 17:19 »

Intriguing. I'm enjoying thinking it through.

The initial set-up tries to deal with the wonderful implausibility of it all, so while I'm considering the bigger picture I'll just poke at a few smaller things:

- Why is the bunker designed for four, rather than five? I read Shakor's "CONCORD does not always call these summits" and Roden's response to the Empress' statement that she arranged the meeting as suggesting that they are usually called by CONCORD and this is an unusual one. In that case, am I reading too much into "here" and "Just the way it's always been done", in assuming that leaders have met at the same location before? With no Jovian reps, even back at the beginning?

- "At these words, Empress Sarum and Sanmatar Shakor broke each other's gaze for the first time in several minutes." Did the "white-eyed" Sanmatar finally have treatment for his Defiant-respecting blindness? Is he now using implants to see? Back in Silent Furies he was written as functionally blind, but here he's engaging in gaze-play and head-turning with the rest of them.

- Jamyl as "Empress Sarum". Isn't the Amarr custom that the ruler leaves their House and takes their inner circle to join the Emperor Family, taking over the imperial estates and appointing a new heir from their old House? Do we see other emperors addressed by their (previous?) House name? I'm only now learning about Amarrian matters, and this has puzzled me.

- Do I get to call Shakor a Midularite now? ;)

Lyn Farel

« Reply #16 on: 24 Jul 2012, 17:28 »

- Jamyl as "Empress Sarum". Isn't the Amarr custom that the ruler leaves their House and takes their inner circle to join the Emperor Family, taking over the imperial estates and appointing a new heir from their old House?

Yep.

Mathra Hiede

• Omelette
« Reply #17 on: 24 Jul 2012, 19:07 »

- Jamyl as "Empress Sarum". Isn't the Amarr custom that the ruler leaves their House and takes their inner circle to join the Emperor Family, taking over the imperial estates and appointing a new heir from their old House?

Yep.

Jamyl breaks all the rules...
Its been virtually admitted and confirmed and generally accepted that she is a clone, breaking the godflesh rule.

She has a sleeper in her head.

Is it such a stretch that she shat all over that rule as well

Despite that serious eye-twitch moment I actually enjoyed that chron as others have said it was nice to see the leaders actually have unique and interesting personalities and interactions that are not just them being stereotypical dickwads.

Criticism though is some of the writing is just too vague and hard to follow, leaving me entirely unsure of what was actually happening to the point of loosing the flow of the chron and having to re-read sections several times.

Innocence prooves nothing - Solen Sean

Yoshito Sanders

• Egger
« Reply #18 on: 24 Jul 2012, 21:45 »

Jamyl I is her regnal name. It's what she is referred to officially. She's still considered to be from the Sarum family, even if she is now part of the Emperor's Family.

As for the chron, I liked it very much. It does a good job of making something good out of the Templar One mess.

Matariki Rain

• Sweet, gentle Mata
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #19 on: 24 Jul 2012, 22:18 »

Can you imagine calling Heideran VII "Emperor Kador", though?
« Last Edit: 24 Jul 2012, 22:22 by Matariki Rain »

Publius Valerius

« Reply #20 on: 24 Jul 2012, 23:14 »

Can you imagine calling Heideran VII "Emperor Kador", though?

Ehm, Actually yes. I think this is a very minor thing. As in the PF is already a Arrach Sarum; and in some Ingame missions or sites is Zaragram II are mention as Zaragram Ardishapur II (I know he is the Mad-Emperor, but still it isnt new). So overall was very, very nice chron and really nice to see the leaders in anther shape and form as in T1.

Yoshito Sanders

• Egger
« Reply #21 on: 24 Jul 2012, 23:16 »

Probably. I don't think he's ever been portrayed as interacting with someone outside the Empire.

Though I guess it would equivalent to referring to Elizabeth II as "Queen Windsor", which sounds ridiculous.

I think it's probably just a minor gaffe than anything that means something.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #22 on: 25 Jul 2012, 04:34 »

Well yes, it sounds ridiculous. Empress Sarum or Queen Windsor, I mean.

If we refer to feodalism, there is a clear line drawn between the dynastic family and the ruling family. The Queen is still from the Windsor dynasty and so, owns all the crown properties in addition to the ones of her family, but she is refered as Queen Elizabeth II or Queen of the United Kingdoms. It was the same with any other ruler, if you refer to Louis of France you refer to the king, if you refer to Louis de Bourbon, you refer to the son of a specific dynasty. But you never have the family name and the throne name mixed together.

Of course, it could be different for the Amarr ruler, since it is not RL. This is mostly why it sounds weird to us. Also, there is a minor difference between RL and eve since the Amarr ruler loses any pretention on the family properties iirc. The imperial title is not stackable with other titles.

Criticism though is some of the writing is just too vague and hard to follow, leaving me entirely unsure of what was actually happening to the point of loosing the flow of the chron and having to re-read sections several times.

Weird, for once I did not have that feeling. Clear and concrete chronicles are what I prefer. I have incredible times with cryptic chronicles types, which are legion. Cryptic for the sake of being cryptic, often. There is a difference between chronicles like Serum of Truth and A Painting, though.

Mithfindel

• (a.k.a. Axel Kurki)
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #23 on: 25 Jul 2012, 04:36 »

+1 on the "Empress Sarum" thing.

Also, Shakor uses drones to see, so perhaps he just pointed his camera drones elsewhere.

On the linked list of NPC corporations in DUST: Am I the only one slightly dismayed that you need to be Sarum to be Amarr loyalist? Not that I'd ever play DUST, but still. That's not complete anyway (as a major point, misses the Gallente except for Serps and Mordu's).
« Last Edit: 25 Jul 2012, 04:38 by Mithfindel »

Matariki Rain

• Sweet, gentle Mata
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #24 on: 25 Jul 2012, 05:04 »

On the linked list of NPC corporations in DUST: Am I the only one slightly dismayed that you need to be Sarum to be Amarr loyalist? Not that I'd ever play DUST, but still. That's not complete anyway (as a major point, misses the Gallente except for Serps and Mordu's).

I don't see a Minmatar option which would support the Republic. Now, I may have to the wrong idea and they're all aimed at making sense in nullsec rather than faction war, or there might be extra options for when things go live.

Horatius Caul

• Words words words
  • Omelette
« Reply #25 on: 25 Jul 2012, 06:01 »

The character saying "Empress Sarum" may be a foreigner.

Dunno if it was also in the narration.

Myyona

• Spilling beans
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #26 on: 25 Jul 2012, 07:30 »

It says those NPC corporation are for the people participating in the DUST Beta.

It might not say anything about the NPC corporations you can join when the game goes live. There are some interesting options in that list though, like the Arkombine and Templis Dragonaurs.

EVE Online Lorebook at eve-inspiracy.com

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #27 on: 25 Jul 2012, 07:41 »

- "At these words, Empress Sarum and Sanmatar Shakor broke each other's gaze for the first time in several minutes." Did the "white-eyed" Sanmatar finally have treatment for his Defiant-respecting blindness? Is he now using implants to see? Back in Silent Furies he was written as functionally blind, but here he's engaging in gaze-play and head-turning with the rest of them.

If he's a capsuleer he may have implants, but there's also that losing one sense often causes the remaining ones to compensate for the loss. We're pretty good at picking out the direction a sound is coming from with just ears alone, so it wouldn't surprise me too much if he were capable of acting as if he could see by using the position of someone's voice to get an idea of where to look.

- Do I get to call Shakor a Midularite now? ;)

Sure. But can you prove he is? >.>
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Vieve

• Unreliable Narrator
  • Omelette
  • The Dark Powers Are Always Happy To Help
« Reply #28 on: 25 Jul 2012, 08:47 »

“My problem, most esteemed Executor, is that we have a growing power bloc in this universe of ours that does not and will not ever share a seat at this table, or any like it.”
"Capsuleers," said Heth. "Our common problem. Need to find a way to stop them. I think I've heard this somewhere before.."

:D :D :D
Yay, more PF that retroactively justifies some of my RP.   Ahem.

But also (and more) yay for a Chronicle that succeeded in giving Heth, Roden, Shakor and Jamyl distinct personalities. 

And yes, it'd be nice to see this as a serialized Chronicle, because I now want to know what happens next!
« Last Edit: 25 Jul 2012, 08:54 by Vieve »

Reyd Karris

« Reply #29 on: 25 Jul 2012, 09:32 »

Well, one interesting thing to note: This is the Empire factions meeting to discuss certain technology, and a meeting called by someone compromised by that same technology.

There's a word for this...
Pages: 1 [2] 3