Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That the Lonetrek dialect of the Caldari language is sometimes called the "throat infection" dialect?

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: [Character] Ami Murata  (Read 4937 times)

Ami Murata

• Clonejack
[Character] Ami Murata
« on: 09 Jul 2012, 05:40 »

Full Name: Ami Murata
Date of Birth: 16.01.YC95
Birthplace: The Forge / Okomon / Saisio / Saisio III
Height: 160cm
Weight: 48kg
Occupation: Research Student, Mechanical Engineering, School of Applied Knowledge

Bio:
Ami is the daughter of a Head Priest of a temple on Achur.  Since she was little, she and her brother were groomed to become successors to their father’s temple; her brother was to become the next Head Priest and she would be a Priestess of the Temple.  She didn’t enjoy spiritual training very much, and neither did her brother.  It was only natural that they were not the best of students, often seen playing with the children in the area.  Being a few years younger, she would follow her brother everywhere, often listening to his long monologues about ships and hybrid cannons and dreams of becoming a capsuleer.

For all their playfulness, they would ultimately be reined back in by their strict father, never missing a chance to remind Ami and her brother of the pious life that they were expected to lead. However, a series of events ensured that this was not the path she would follow.  Only time would reveal whether the events that disrupted her carefully-planned life was for the better.

When Ami was 8, her brother was kidnapped by a criminal syndicate on Achur in a complex case that Ami has yet to fully comprehend.  Through the mishandling of the case by the local police and failings of bureaucracy in the process, the case was solved but her brother was announced as deceased.  After this revelation, her father was not the same, strict authoritarian she had known.  Her mother, who has since taken over as the head of the temple, gave Ami leave for her to pursue her own interests. 

In the middle of YC 114, she was accepted into the School of Applied Knowledge.  Shortly afterwards, following a positive biometrics assessment, she was fast tracked through the School’s capsuleer program.

[OOC notes]
This is a WIP!  :)
I'm really new to Eve as well as RP in general!  I'd really appreciate it if someone can point out if there is anything that's totally unbelievable  :o
I'm really unsure about the Achur religion, but chatting with some on OOC, there doesn't seem to be many 'definite' facts.
Also.. anybody who doesn't have a backstory yet is welcome to RP her brother, if they want to... it would be really interesting to see siblings reunite  :oops:

Malcolm Khross

Re: [Character] Ami Murata
« Reply #1 on: 09 Jul 2012, 05:57 »

First, welcome to RP and EVE!

Second, your backstory is actually pretty well written and a nice story from what I can tell (though I'm not the expert). I look forward to seeing how Ami develops as a character!

Ami Murata

• Clonejack
« Reply #2 on: 09 Jul 2012, 07:12 »

Thank you for your kind words :)

I am really unsure of what to expect for Ami..and also her personality (I will probably make her like my own personality so it's a little bit easier for me) but I really hope she'll be fun to talk to, and maybe be a way for others to express their own characters!  :D

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #3 on: 09 Jul 2012, 08:30 »

Also.. anybody who doesn't have a backstory yet is welcome to RP her brother, if they want to... it would be really interesting to see siblings reunite  :oops:

Everything looks good to me, but this caught my eye.

Unless you know the person extremely well and have a lot of experience RPing with them in the past, I cannot stress how quickly and horribly having someone else play a role that's heavily involved in your character's backstory can go tits-up. (It's somewhere around the lines of "it'd make a cheap Vegas hooker look like she's playing hard to get" and "what do you get when you mix an industrial meat grinder and a live cow on camera," for the record.)

If you don't have anyone who you know and trust well enough to do it without causing unnecessary trouble, you could try doing both characters yourself. But I would personally recommend scrapping the idea of letting people you don't know well at all do it.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Victoria Stecker

• Pod Captain
« Reply #4 on: 09 Jul 2012, 08:51 »

Looks like good stuff, though I'll echo morwen on the family thingie. It's generally best to avoid it in my experience because you're either playing both characters (which is usually apparent and feels a little contrived) or you're trusting someone you don't know to not fuck with you (this is EVE, that's not a great idea). It can work, under certain circumstances - for example, the Valadeuses (Valadei?) were an IC married couple that was (iirc) an OOC married couple as well and played the characters well.

[spoiler]Although it can work out if the characters are hardly ever going to interact. A friend of mine was looking for someone to play the role of her character's immoral bastard father who sold her into slavery. The father was not expected to survive the reunion but instead did and developed into his own multi-dimensional character since then. I believe they've only spoken to each other once since then.[/spoiler]

Other than that potential pitfall, looks great.

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
« Reply #5 on: 09 Jul 2012, 09:44 »

[spoiler]
It can work, under certain circumstances - for example, the Valadeuses (Valadei?) were an IC married couple that was (iirc) an OOC married couple as well and played the characters well.

You mean like Malcolm and Ilsenae Khross?  :D[/spoiler]

Looks like a good start.  I have to agree with Morwen and Vic here.  Be cautious inviting someone else to play one of your character's close relations.  Tbh, there are so many different characters to meaningfully interact with in EVE you're probably much better off telling the siblings story in an OOG venue...  Important to remember that the genetic defect that allows people to become pod pilots is very rare, and those who survive the training are rarer still.  You could roll up an alt to play your character's brother, but there should be a good explanation for why he was able to become a capsuleer as well against all odds (twins? bit by the same radioactive space spider?).

Anyway, welcome to the game and to RP.  I envy you a bit.  So many new worlds to explore and fascinating people to meet!  Keep in mind that a lot of the prime fiction is nebulous, self-contradictory, or simply incomplete.  I'd encourage you to see this as an opportunity.  It's a big cluster.  Big.  Trillions of people on thousands of planets.  There is room for more variation in people, customs, and philosophies than in all of Earth's history to the present.  Keep that in mind.

If you've never read it before, being new to RP, I recommend checking out the Storyboard column on Massively.  This week's article might even help you in an immediate sense with some character development.

Edit: Oh, should also mention that your chosen portrait background suggests to me that you were born for this.
« Last Edit: 09 Jul 2012, 09:48 by Ken »

Malcolm Khross

« Reply #6 on: 09 Jul 2012, 09:55 »

Edit: Oh, should also mention that your chosen portrait background suggests to me that you were born for this.

I do love my corpies.

Bataav

• Egger
    • Intaki Liberation Front
« Reply #7 on: 09 Jul 2012, 10:27 »

Welcome to New Eden!

The others are probably right when it comes to family characters. I have an uncle and nephew set up but so far haven't RP'd it much if at all. I think it might make sense to establish one character before introducing the next as it might feel more natural for onlookers instead of having brother and sister arrive on scene together.

I do love my corpies.
As soon as I opened the thread and saw the portrait I knew.

Inevitability is inevitable  ;)
#FreeIntaki | #IntakiPride

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #8 on: 09 Jul 2012, 11:00 »

Inevitable recruitment trolling, film at 11!

Ilsenae Alexandros

• Adjutant of the Wiyrkomi Honor Guard
  • Clonejack
  • Tea Maker
    • Eskeitanen Wiyrkomi Kaashivon
« Reply #9 on: 09 Jul 2012, 19:03 »

Yay more Achura!

Valdezi

• Pod Captain
    • Stories by me
« Reply #10 on: 10 Jul 2012, 00:32 »

Val has a thing for Achuran chicks.

Ami Murata

• Clonejack
« Reply #11 on: 10 Jul 2012, 00:55 »

! ..Thanks everyone.  It's good to meet you.

I think I will take your advice and tell the 'siblings' story out of the game..  It's a little bit unfortunate because my boyfriend was going to RP a friend of Ami's brother.. and maybe involve some romance and drama!  But that's okay, maybe it can happen once I meet someone to trust in Eve Online :)

I will watch the YouTube video now...
[Edit] Wow, it was a great video, but a little bit dark!  Maybe Ami may ask about it.. :)
« Last Edit: 10 Jul 2012, 01:00 by Ami Murata »

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
« Reply #12 on: 10 Jul 2012, 01:37 »

People also sometimes use alts for siblings - since they are also your characters.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #13 on: 10 Jul 2012, 04:36 »

I think I will take your advice and tell the 'siblings' story out of the game..  It's a little bit unfortunate because my boyfriend was going to RP a friend of Ami's brother.. and maybe involve some romance and drama!  But that's okay, maybe it can happen once I meet someone to trust in Eve Online :)

The brother can also be the delicious drama romance...

/hide

Too much games of thrones recently.

Malcolm Khross

« Reply #14 on: 10 Jul 2012, 04:52 »

The brother can also be the delicious drama romance...

/hide

Too much games of thrones recently.

Ah no, please no. We've got enough space lesbians already, let's not add incest to the list, please?
Pages: [1] 2