Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The Ishukone corporation is one of the major players in the 'liberal' faction and was the first non-Jovian organization to receive capsule technology from the Jovians?

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: Who can draw uniforms?  (Read 19080 times)

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
Re: Who can draw uniforms?
« Reply #45 on: 24 Jul 2012, 09:48 »

It's worth noting that the Caldari people spent several thousand years on a harsh frozen iceworld, which only later became a still very cold tundra world. There is little reason why wearing a skirt would be a good idea over there, imo. For most of their history they would have been wrapped up in heavy clothing to protect themselves from hypothermia, and only later would they be able to wear standard clothing while going outside.

As for skirts on men, I think Harpa's Deteis male guy is wearing something almost similar to a dress. I don't think the Caldari really differentiate between 'this cut is called a skirt for women, this is called pants for men'. I think if they cut something, it's just cut that way for unisex. This is the whole thing I'm getting at here - the Caldari are fairly unisex in their dress codes.

The Caldari don't allow men to walk around shirtless any more than they do women. they don't want to see his bare ankles and calves any more than they want to see hers. They cut their clothing the same as much as they can to simplify the process for anything military. Of course there is Caldari fashion, but fashion has no place outside a sort of niche interest. For the military, things are standardized and simplified for efficiency. Dressing women up in sexy little skirts doesn't seem like something I can really imagine the Caldari subscribing to.

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #46 on: 24 Jul 2012, 11:17 »

You've posed a very convincing set of arguments there, Katrina, but will keep the floor open for any possibilities to the contrary.

I'll be sure to balance out the lack of skirts by giving the Caldari plenty of badass trenchcoats, if it does swing that way.

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
« Reply #47 on: 24 Jul 2012, 11:31 »

For me, skirts on Caldari women are just another example of deep-seated Gallente cultural influence.  I enjoy the irony of rejecting a culture outwardly while being conveniently ignorant of its subtler influences on your day to day life.  Like jihadis who drink Coke.  Besides, who in modern first world societies dresses the same as their ancestors did 1000 years ago?  The skirt IS distracting to men.  Thus it is a good tool for manipulating them.  A female subculture within a nation with as much ruthless competition as the State that doesn't take advantage of such a tool is less well equipped as one that does.  The Caldari are sexually equal, but I don't see them as sexually iconoclastic at all.

Seriphyn

• Demigod
« Reply #48 on: 24 Jul 2012, 11:44 »

Oh great, thanks Ken, for throwing a spanner in the works there :P

Hehe.

Syylara/Yaansu

• Egger
« Reply #49 on: 24 Jul 2012, 11:57 »

For me, skirts on Caldari women are just another example of deep-seated Gallente cultural influence.  I enjoy the irony of rejecting a culture outwardly while being conveniently ignorant of its subtler influences on your day to day life.  Like jihadis who drink Coke.  Besides, who in modern first world societies dresses the same as their ancestors did 1000 years ago?  The skirt IS distracting to men.  Thus it is a good tool for manipulating them.  A female subculture within a nation with as much ruthless competition as the State that doesn't take advantage of such a tool is less well equipped as one that does.  The Caldari are sexually equal, but I don't see them as sexually iconoclastic at all.

I can see your point to an extent, but with two qualifiers.

First, this perhaps fits better in the business world than the military one.

Second, while of course we always acknowledge it is an ideal rather than a reality, physical appeal doesn't particularly fit in to the meritocracy model.  Well, at least not in the more productivity driven fields, NOH on the other hand... :9.

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
« Reply #50 on: 24 Jul 2012, 12:07 »

First, this perhaps fits better in the business world than the military one.

In the State, I like to think the line between those two blurs to the point of irrelevance.

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #51 on: 24 Jul 2012, 12:08 »

A possible reason for skirts over pants for women: Can't get into someone's pants if they aren't wearing any!

*flees*
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Ava Starfire

• Queen of Hashbrowns
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #52 on: 05 Aug 2012, 20:51 »

Will have a go at this tomorrow; I'm an artist, and this gives me a reason to draw again.

Will do my  take on Minmatar. And no, no damned miniskirts and teensy weensy tops.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #53 on: 06 Aug 2012, 08:31 »

Two new uniforms.

The first one is supposed to be Jin Mei officers, with obvious differences between the male and female ones since Jin-Mei is still a very traditional, rigid, misogynous caste system. Of course it is mostly about remnants of the Jin-Mei navy and local forces. Jin-Mei fleets incorporated into the Federal navy would use standard gallente navy uniforms with a few noticeable Jin-Mei signs and heraldry.

The second one is an attempt at an imperial fleet chaplain, an hypothetical singular military role in most cruisers and above.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Nmaro Makari

• Nemo
  • Pod Captain
  • SHARKBAIT-HOOHAHA!
« Reply #54 on: 06 Aug 2012, 11:45 »

Typical BSG fanboi post, but am I the only one who thinks BSG uniforms look matari-ish?

Plus theres the whole thing with "Thirteen Tribes" and polytheism, but will save for an extended essay on BSG-Matari connections :P

But yes, Matari Bridge Officer below?

[spoiler][/spoiler]
The very model of a British Minmatarian

Lyn Farel

« Reply #55 on: 06 Aug 2012, 14:30 »

Why not yeah.

Ava Starfire

• Queen of Hashbrowns
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #56 on: 06 Aug 2012, 15:24 »

I dont see the Minmatar jumping whole-hog into Gallentean (or anyone else's) style of dress, and I certainly dont see them abandoning tradition while doing so, at least not for dress uniforms where full body covering/protection isnt required, and would, in fact, be undesirable for them. In the interest of NOT offending the guests from other cultures and just walking around with no top, a rough sketch i drew today; Shows off marks, has a traditional rank insignia (or whatever other markings may be needed, though once again, likely very minimal for the Minmatar) and the ceremonial combat knife who's name I can never remember. Anyway, room for tweaks, but my starting point for a TLF/Rep Fleet-ish formal uniform;

Thanks, Ava

kalaratiri

• Kalalalaakiota
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
  • Shes mad but shes magic, theres no lie in her fire
« Reply #57 on: 07 Aug 2012, 02:00 »

That's really good Ava :) I like leaving the tattoos visible, that would make sense in Minmatar culture. I'm not sure that some Minmatar would make any concessions to the tastes of other cultures at all, and their dress uniforms would just be traditional ceremonial clothing.

"Eve roleplayers scare me." - The Mittani

Lyn Farel

« Reply #58 on: 07 Aug 2012, 05:02 »

Very neat, nice idea for the jacket.

Seriphyn

• Demigod
« Reply #59 on: 07 Aug 2012, 05:40 »

Hnghh, all of those are really good :3

Naturally partial to the Jin-Mei one, unsurprisingly...
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6