Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That the Blood Raiders are a sect of the Sani Sabik who spend their lives in space hunting down and harvesting non-believers for their blood? Read more here!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Helpful suggestions for dealing with The Summit  (Read 5689 times)

Tiberious Thessalonia

• Everyone's favorite philositoaster
  • Pod Captain
  • Panini Press

I think its a good idea to have a thread where we can post what we personally consider to be helpful suggestions concerning the Summit and how to deal with it, the people in it, and its moderation.

None of these are rules!  Half of these are in jest!

This one isn't.

1) if you block a moderator, and that moderator gives you a warning, you will not get the warning.  This will likely result in your being kicked from the channel because you won't know to stop the offending behavior!  Oh, go ahead and ignore us as players and characters, but its probably not a great idea to hit the block button entirely.

If the problem between you and the moderator is serious enough to require you to block them, it's probably a better idea to forward the other moderators examples of the offending behavior.  This will not guarantee that anything will be done, of course, but we'll at least take a look at it and see which of the following three categories it fits into.

A) Things that we can talk to the other moderator about, if the problem is extant but non-serious
B) Things that we can forward to Graelyn if the problem is extant and serious
C) Funny and we can laugh at it
Do you see it now?  Something is different.  Something is never was in the first part!

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
Re: Helpful suggestions for dealing with The Summit
« Reply #1 on: 13 Jun 2012, 09:16 »

I suppose I should note (publicly) that this post was probably made in response to my 24-hour removal of Aracturus from the Summit last night after an IC display that caused someone to leave the channel in a state of nausea, to which two moderators' warnings were either argued with (Esna's) or outright ignored (mine).

Here's the deal in general with this sort of thing, from my perspective:
  • If you're gonna be a dick/troll to people, fine. That's your right, within reason and channel rules. But don't expect people to be sympathetic to you if/when someone responds in kind. (That isn't to say action won't be taken, but if it is it won't be out of any desire to protect your sensibilities or bruised ego.)
  • If you want to block someone who's really bothering you, go right ahead. That's also your right. But blocking a moderator is generally a pretty stupid idea regardless and you should feel stupid if you do it and get kicked or muted as a side effect. It's equally bad form for moderators to block you as well (for what should be obvious reasons), so this goes both ways.
  • If you get a warning from a moderator, the appropriate response is some form of polite acknowledgement of the warning, and if necessary, a request to discuss it in private, or an evemail. Not to ignore it or talk back/argue about it in public. We prefer not to get involved if possible, so if a moderator felt the need to step in and take action, chances are your behavior was well past the line of acceptable.
  • It doesn't matter whether the moderator who warned you is someone you blocked or not. A moderator warned you. If you missed the warning because you had them blocked, that's your own damn fault and no-one else's, and any complaints about it will be filed immediately and permanently under "C" from Tib's list above.

We're not out to get you or make your life miserable. Honest. But we're going to act in what we perceive to be the best interests of the channel, and sometimes that requires kicking people in the ass a few times.
« Last Edit: 13 Jun 2012, 10:50 by Morwen Lagann »
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
« Reply #2 on: 13 Jun 2012, 10:06 »

Oh now I get it. Morwen's avatar on Backstage has a cello because she plays the cello IC. I always wondered what that was about.

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #3 on: 13 Jun 2012, 10:46 »

I don't have a lot of suggestions about how to deal with the moderation because I've only ever noticed it happen once or twice. However, I would say that things I personally like to see in The Summit include:

• Discussion of major wars or political maneuverings
  • Really Big Philosophical Chat (e.g. the value of freedom, etc.)
  • High-level scientific discussion, although this probably isn't the place for deep nitty gritty I think

Things that I find boring in The Summit:
  • Endless "hi how are you" "fine how about yourself?" "oh I'm good, are you sure you're okay?" ad nauseum
  • Daily trivia, like emoting munching on snacks

What about you?

Safai

• Toast &
  • Omelette
  • "Phantom Spaceman is a big fat jerk!"
« Reply #4 on: 13 Jun 2012, 11:59 »

I thoroughly second everything in Casiella's post.

Would like to add discussions on religion, spirituality and theology in general to the 'like to see' list. Not merely because my character has an easier time jumping into those convos, but I also really like watching them play out from afar so long as the exchange is reasonably intelligent. Fictionalized faith is fertile ground for great roleplay.

However, it's not always everyone's favorite topic, and I realize that heavy faith-based conversations can make some feel just as uncomfortable as they would in real life. If a user, or users, feel particularly distressed by this, the correct thing to do may be to politely change the topic or continue the religious discourse in private.

Casiella

• Demigod
« Reply #5 on: 13 Jun 2012, 12:13 »

I don't think people should feel distressed about IC religious discussions, given the heavy role religion plays in the lore. The other night, we had a simply fascinating discussion about atheism vs Minmatar shamanism, and today the Summit had a discussion on application of scientific rigor and experimental procedure to certain religious topics ("divine visions").

More of This Sort Of Thing.

Malcolm Khross

« Reply #6 on: 13 Jun 2012, 12:21 »

I'm personally alright with a little bit of relaxed banter from time-to-time, primarily because it helps keep things sane for people who can't always dive head first into a giant debate about such and such topic. It's also somewhat unrealistic to expect that capsuleers don't engage in leisure activities and conversation from time-to-time, they live forever.

However, I agree that the debates, discussions and even the arguments are what make the place fun and in-depth. I enjoy watching as much as getting involved (I try to pick my battles carefully with what I think my character would get involved in).

My primary list of "do nots" would be "in your face" and repetitive public displays of affection. People discourage this stuff in real life, why would it be believed that The Summit (public for all intents and purposes) would be any different? We don't need to see two (or more) people giving everyone a free voyeur to their bedroom activities and couch cuddles. It's fine to be brief and professional, a kiss on the cheek, a hug, etcetera but there's really no need for anything beyond that. (This is not discouraging flirting! This is directly the whole "we're on the same camera feed and giving you a free show" type of RP).

I'm pretty much opposed to most aggressively lewd conduct as I find that it's mostly just attention grabbing or intentionally being used to frustrate.

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #7 on: 13 Jun 2012, 13:01 »

My primary list of "do nots" would be "in your face" and repetitive public displays of affection. People discourage this stuff in real life, why would it be believed that The Summit (public for all intents and purposes) would be any different? We don't need to see two (or more) people giving everyone a free voyeur to their bedroom activities and couch cuddles. It's fine to be brief and professional, a kiss on the cheek, a hug, etcetera but there's really no need for anything beyond that. (This is not discouraging flirting! This is directly the whole "we're on the same camera feed and giving you a free show" type of RP).

I'm pretty much opposed to most aggressively lewd conduct as I find that it's mostly just attention grabbing or intentionally being used to frustrate.

In this sort of case, it's preferred that you first ask the offending person(s) to knock it off or tone it down (whether you do so in the Summit or privately is up to you). If it persists, contact a moderator (or several) with logs and/or timestamps* and we'll try and deal with it when we have some spare time.

My personal preference with this particular issue is to tolerate light/low-moderate amounts of non-disruptive PDA, and start taking action when it's being done for the sake of attention-whoring or derailing/distracting from active discussion.

* For mods who are online but may be AFK (like me during the work week), timestamps are generally good enough because we can just check the logs, and it's less time-consuming for you to type out a chunk of time to be looked at rather than copy-paste and reformat half of an encyclopedia.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Tiberious Thessalonia

• Everyone's favorite philositoaster
  • Pod Captain
  • Panini Press
« Reply #8 on: 13 Jun 2012, 13:27 »

Best to include timestamps AND logs tbh.  I don't stay AFK while I am at work, for example.
Do you see it now?  Something is different.  Something is never was in the first part!

Casiella

• Demigod
« Reply #9 on: 13 Jun 2012, 14:52 »

Agreed, though it's kind of OOC (I don't think most Gallente care about PDAs). Flirtation with other people in the Summit: good. Broadcasting a makeout session: bad.

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #10 on: 13 Jun 2012, 23:58 »

One question that I've had a couple of times is, after someone was warned or muted for excessive or ridiculous hostility, is "...well, I was arguing with someone. That's one of the things the Summit is for, right?"

Answer: Sort of.

In general, I will remain far more lenient of an arguement if you are discussing a character's actions rather than the character him/herself; even if you are insulting another character, there is a distinct line between insults specifically related to a point of friction between your characters (e.g., "You mean ol' nasty slaver!") and general insults not related to an issue so much as that your characters just dislike each other.

Keep in mind, topic-related insults are NOT a free pass to go nuts on each other; they're just less likely to earn you an immediate frowny-face from a moderator.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Ava Starfire

• Queen of Hashbrowns
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #11 on: 14 Jun 2012, 08:29 »

Daily trivia, like emoting munching on snacks

What about you?

I dont often follow the "big" logic, philosophy, and rhetoric debates in Summit, simply because I dont understand them. So, sometimes, I have Ava munch on snacks.

Sorry it bothers you.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #12 on: 14 Jun 2012, 10:59 »

Daily trivia, like emoting munching on snacks

What about you?

I dont often follow the "big" logic, philosophy, and rhetoric debates in Summit, simply because I dont understand them. So, sometimes, I have Ava munch on snacks.

Sorry it bothers you.

I guess I would say fair enough, since you probably find a lot of rhetoric debates boring too. To each his own tastes. Though of course you never complained about the latter, which gives you a point.

This is why I said countless times that it would be a better idea to dedicate other channels to that kind of rhetoric/philosophy debates considering that currently the most common exchanges are a majority of "snacks and hows you" discussions on the Summit. Either we choose to tell to these players to basically fuck off because we deciced to change the RP focus of the channel, or either we stop asking them to change their way of RPing and try to live with it. And if we can not, then lets bring the NEA back alive.

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
« Reply #13 on: 14 Jun 2012, 15:41 »

I don't understand why it can't be some of both. Because some people don't like the other kind?

Jev North

« Reply #14 on: 14 Jun 2012, 16:18 »

Well, BarP has been sort of unpopular lately, and so all those capsuleer bars might go bankrupt if everyone just scores their snacks and drinks on the Summit..?
Pages: [1] 2