Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That the Amarrian "godflesh" taboo forbids against cloning? Until YC119, anyway!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11

Author Topic: You aren't godlike enough.  (Read 17249 times)

Ghost Hunter

• Sansha's True Citizen ; TS-F Overseer
  • The Mods
  • Veteran
  • True Power without limit!
Re: You aren't godlike enough.
« Reply #30 on: 10 Jun 2012, 14:13 »

Out of interest, how did you represent the mysterious construction(s) in the game world itself? Did you use actual stargates/construction models, or improvise with a handwaved understanding?
Ghost > So yes, she was Ghost's husband-
Ashar > So Ghost was a gay Caldari and she went through tranny surgery
Ghost > Wait what?
Ashar > Ghosts husband.
Ghost > No she was - Oh god damnit.

He ate all of them
We Form Moderation
For Nation

Merdaneth

• Pod Captain
« Reply #31 on: 10 Jun 2012, 15:21 »

Good points Merdaneth, an alternate view I hadn't considered. I never really approached this game as a tiny person when playing Istvaan, it was always king and kingmaker..... but if you give me that new player, I can turn him into an apex predator with a bit of advice and a few months' training time

That was partially my point. If you are a king or kingmaker, who are your subjects? Surely those masses of peasants are other capsuleers.

Even your apex predator needs lots of prey. And who does he prey on? Capsuleers....

Most capsuleers are peasants and prey, only a very few are kings, kingmakers or apex predators. Only these few might feel godlike, while the masses would feel anything but. When RP-ing it makes sense that only a few would RP like Gods, and most would RP about more small-minded stuff. This is even apart from the Concord-factor.

Killing another in high-sec and making a profit is smart. Killing another and being able to evade Concord without anyone else knowing how you did it: that would be Godlike.

Matariki Rain

• Sweet, gentle Mata
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #32 on: 10 Jun 2012, 15:41 »

Is this thread Istvaan's response to another Alexander moment ("... he wept, for there were no more worlds to conquer") as he tries to nudge us into being worth attacking?

hellgremlin

• Pathological liar, do not believe
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #33 on: 10 Jun 2012, 16:13 »

Out of interest, how did you represent the mysterious construction(s) in the game world itself? Did you use actual stargates/construction models, or improvise with a handwaved understanding?

Plenty of handwavium and unobtainium were alloyed during this process into a substance I call badassfictionium.

Valdezi

• Pod Captain
    • Stories by me
« Reply #34 on: 10 Jun 2012, 17:41 »

From my perspective, when I became involved in EVE RP, transhumanist amoral godlike Capsuleers seemed the norm. By trying to humanise my characters, I wanted to try and do something different. I also think its significantly more interesting to RP flawed humans with the aptitude for something more than great and terrible gods. The only way Mammal wants to be more godlike is to become an Idama.

hellgremlin

• Pathological liar, do not believe
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #35 on: 10 Jun 2012, 17:54 »

Hey yeah... come to think of it, there *was* more of that stuff earlier into Eve's lifetime. Perhaps that's what I miss. :|

Gottii

• A Booty-full Mind
  • Veteran
« Reply #36 on: 10 Jun 2012, 18:16 »

It was mentioned before, but basically the kind of ammoral, inhuman, "uncaring god" kind of characters are basically the non-RPing players out there.  And theyre certainly the norm.

They speak in weird gibberish.  They throw themselves at each other, spending untold fortuntes in warships and losing the lives of untold millions, for nothing more than pride and electronicly recorded trophies.  They collect the corpses of their enemies as a hobby.  Local comms chatter is filled with insults and taunts the second two rivals appear in the same system.  Massive capital fleets wait in the dark, sending out small frigates like hunting hounds, simply for the chance to find an unsuspecting fleet or even lone ship to drop upon.   

When an Incursion erupts in high sec, what do these inhuman monsters do?  Do they quickly and efficiently remove the threat to the space lines and the system?  Of course not, these inhuman bastards farm the Sansha for as much CONCORD bounty as they can squeeze out of it.

I mean, we could RP all of this, but really, why?  From the eyes of an IC character, non-RP players are doing a fine job of being inhuman monsters.
« Last Edit: 10 Jun 2012, 18:20 by Gottii »
"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"
― Isaac Asimov

Valdezi

• Pod Captain
    • Stories by me
« Reply #37 on: 10 Jun 2012, 18:17 »

Very, very true.

Rodj Blake

• Egger
  • Amarr Victor Meldrew
« Reply #38 on: 11 Jun 2012, 03:00 »

For me, the annoying thing about pretty much every MMO is that you play THE  MIGHTY HERO, which would be great except for the fact everyone else is also THE MIGHTY HERO.     

A world where everyone is THE MIGHTY HERO ends up like this - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxfzm9dfqBw

Eve isn't like that, because the game doesn't make you or anyone else The Big Cheese, it's down to you whether or not that happens - and that means that there be little guys as well as movers and shakers.

I want to see less words-only squabbles on IGS. I want to see more IGS posters responding to a slight or slander by OBLITERATING THE POPULATION OF A PLANET.

Aritcio Kor-Azor tried doing just that.   It didn't end well for him.
« Last Edit: 11 Jun 2012, 03:02 by Rodj Blake »

Nmaro Makari

• Nemo
  • Pod Captain
  • SHARKBAIT-HOOHAHA!
« Reply #39 on: 11 Jun 2012, 05:24 »

Frankly, I think the godliness depiction has faded and faded and we now should accept that the picture painted in a chron such as Xenocracy, is half accurate at best.
The very model of a British Minmatarian

Merdaneth

• Pod Captain
« Reply #40 on: 12 Jun 2012, 01:06 »

It was mentioned before, but basically the kind of ammoral, inhuman, "uncaring god" kind of characters are basically the non-RPing players out there.  And theyre certainly the norm.

Nice way of looking at it!

Aodha Khan

« Reply #41 on: 12 Jun 2012, 03:36 »

... and most of y'all act like the cast of Friends.

Exactly reason I don't roleplay(immerse) much anymore. There was once a time that wars, chaos and destruction was part of IGS. Now its all philosophical discussions and those who should be enemies going to any lengths to destroy each other playing at tea parties. Yawn....

I think possibly because the early roleplayers were born and bread in games like Eve/UO. Many now come from WoW and other fluffy games.

:bash:

Eve is very stale right now in terms of roleplay. Don't worry, I'll close the door behind me.  :D

Mathra Hiede

• Omelette
« Reply #42 on: 12 Jun 2012, 04:55 »

... Ye of little faith.

Seriously, all the old timers bitching about RP being boring and too much fluffy cuddles should harden up and help fix it.

As a number of people will attest, I am currently trying to antagonize and create some epic conflict RP currently as seemingly very few people left want to.

Also, in regards to the Godlike argument, my take on it is simply that, for my character, his development has taken a few years and several powerful events to drive him to the point where his faith in humanity in general has been mostly destroyed and those few friends he has left helps him maintain some form of humanity. BUT he has now taken to that aloof and superior world view of being immortal, and that things that simply aren't worthy of his time simply get ignored, or shot.

But in general, yes there is a lot of people who RP what we could call 'soft' but that's simply human nature, to RP a credible person in EVE you need to go against your nature (for most of us) to such a point that its often uncomfortable.
It certainly doesn't help that EVE seems to have lost, for me at least, its shine of a "Gritty dark, bitter and dangerous" which creates such characters.

Again, I would mention that if we simply lament the loss of such depth in our characters it will simply fade into the shadows, the best way to help is simply get out there in the public and be something, do something, create stuff and get energy into our community IN GAME, IGS, wars, public events, etc. will all help at building our world up again after it was hammered by CCP's previous inneptitude and untill they seriously put effort in to the storyline its up to us to make it work.
u
/end rant

P.S. Istvaan, you're a drunk madman but never stop posting :P

Innocence prooves nothing - Solen Sean

Lyn Farel

« Reply #43 on: 12 Jun 2012, 05:22 »

... Ye of little faith.

Seriously, all the old timers bitching about RP being boring and too much fluffy cuddles should harden up and help fix it.

As a number of people will attest, I am currently trying to antagonize and create some epic conflict RP currently as seemingly very few people left want to.

The main issue when old timers like us try to "antagonize", they quickly end up being the public enemy number 1 to be shot down. And I am not even trying to speak about the average evil mustache twirling bad guy. This issue lies in the fact that this same people going into tea parties and fluffy social RP, complimenting each other at any time, tend to form a solid and compact group of people that now tends to constitutes the majority, the masse. When us old timers try to antagonize, often alone, the risk of being ICly ostracized is very high and you always have to play on the razor's edge. Another issue arises when you start to get the idea to gather other old timers that want to antagonize too : often, since they want to antagonize and are part of other factions, they just can't support your views to prevent that problem to happen. And the last issue is that by simply thinking like this, you insert a lot of OOC thinking behind something that should remain IC.
« Last Edit: 12 Jun 2012, 05:24 by Lyn Farel »

Graelyn

• Ye Olde One
  • Veteran
  • These things just seem to happen...
« Reply #44 on: 12 Jun 2012, 05:40 »

*working on these things*

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11