Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Signatories to the Federal Charter retain the legal right to regulate shipping and security in their original territories, among other things? Read more here.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11

Author Topic: Roleplay Issues with Katrina  (Read 18053 times)

Hamish Grayson

Re: Roleplay Issues with Katrina
« Reply #30 on: 09 Jun 2012, 14:39 »

I experience a lot of the same things from time to time Kat.  For me, I'm wonder if I've outgrown RPing.   I wasn't old enough to drink 2004, but now I'm creeping ever closer to thirty. 

Is it something similar for you?

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #31 on: 09 Jun 2012, 14:42 »

Many of us are horrified to learn that RP stopped being acceptable when we turned 30 years ago. :p

Ghost Hunter

• Sansha's True Citizen ; TS-F Overseer
  • The Mods
  • Veteran
  • True Power without limit!
« Reply #32 on: 09 Jun 2012, 14:44 »

In contrast to what many people here seem to be advising, I'd like to state that bleed through is not acceptable. Keeping the IC/OOC division up is not easy, but it does matter. When out of character issues take over, a fun RP discussion turns into a therapy session. It completely spoils the idea. It's not just about your character and your experience, you're affecting the immersion of the people you are playing with. No one is perfect, there is always room for improvement and sometimes bleed through is just too difficult to avoid but heavens forbid it should not be presented as the new standard of role-playing.

Also, taking the setting into account is helpful. It's not just about the costume but how the character is from the inside. New Eden is a dark, harsh universe where nothing comes easily. The unambitious and gullible are exploited and stomped to the ground. Capsuleers are members of its elite, with access to unfathomable resources, capable and guilty of killing thousands without punishment. Can you see them whining about nice tones of voice and friendship, just for the sake of it? All EVE's character types are antagonists, they have attributes which most players would consider repulsive. These attributes help you to keep reality and fiction separated, they give your character depth and realism and it's generally not good for role-playing to leave these aspects out. They are there for a purpose.

Again, what I'm suggesting here is not really directed to Katrina. I'm a big fan of the grey shades she was casting in the latest I-RED thread and I hope we'll see more of that sort in the future.

I disagree on some aspects and would be interested in covering the discussion in another thread.
Ghost > So yes, she was Ghost's husband-
Ashar > So Ghost was a gay Caldari and she went through tranny surgery
Ghost > Wait what?
Ashar > Ghosts husband.
Ghost > No she was - Oh god damnit.

He ate all of them
We Form Moderation
For Nation

Bastian Valoron

• Egger
« Reply #33 on: 17 Jun 2012, 12:10 »

... I am neither formally well educated nor composed. It is difficult for me to pretend to be either.
This came up a couple of times. Here's how to pretend to be an academic:

-If the topic of the discussion coincides with your supposed area of expertise, appeal to your credentials, appeal to the complexity of the matter, focus on the mistakes others are making, cite what someone else has said about the thing. Avoid making any statements of your own because this might harm your credibility.

-If the topic of the discussion is remotely similar to your area of expertise, simplify it, call it a triviality, tell about your friends who are experts in this thing. Making big statements which are wrong is safe because this is not exactly your area of expertise. If you happen to win the argument, add it on your list credentials.

-Have friends who positively affirm your authority, preferably in public.

-Play a music instrument, or have a funny hair or something that people can compliment and say that he/she is truly a remarkable person!

-As always, stay out of discussions which are not relevant to your character.

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
« Reply #34 on: 17 Jun 2012, 13:35 »

That's some great advice, Bastian!

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
« Reply #35 on: 17 Jun 2012, 13:48 »

... I am neither formally well educated nor composed. It is difficult for me to pretend to be either.
This came up a couple of times. Here's how to pretend to be an academic:

-If the topic of the discussion coincides with your supposed area of expertise, appeal to your credentials, appeal to the complexity of the matter, focus on the mistakes others are making, cite what someone else has said about the thing. Avoid making any statements of your own because this might harm your credibility.

-If the topic of the discussion is remotely similar to your area of expertise, simplify it, call it a triviality, tell about your friends who are experts in this thing. Making big statements which are wrong is safe because this is not exactly your area of expertise. If you happen to win the argument, add it on your list credentials.

-Have friends who positively affirm your authority, preferably in public.

-Play a music instrument, or have a funny hair or something that people can compliment and say that he/she is truly a remarkable person!

-As always, stay out of discussions which are not relevant to your character.

This would be terrible advice for real life, but it's amusing how useful it is in RolePlay. xD

On another note, I've begun making small changes to Katrina's character. I'm helping her be more rough around the edges and open to combative discussion. I'm looking at EVE as less of a happy RP place and more a place to play out conflicts. I'm also giving her some stronger convictions and such that are seperate from me personally to help solidify that OOC/IC divide. For example, I even agreed with Diana Kim IC about how nobody is born equal.

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
« Reply #36 on: 17 Jun 2012, 13:56 »

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
« Reply #37 on: 01 Jul 2012, 22:27 »

Update:

Spurred on partly by an OOC promotion in I-RED, but also by my previous difficulties in playing Katrina, she has become much more militant and combative. She's got a shorter fuse, quicker to snap and sneer. She's unapologetic about her loyalties and opinions, and she's more than willing to shoot you out of the sky.

She still is a sweetheart if you already know her, or if you put forth the effort to be an intelligent and productive member of society. She has that huge soft side at home which can be seen by any characters visiting their house still, thanks to Simca.

I'd say that Mitara Newelle is a small inspiration for how I'm going to begin separating and compartmentalizing my need for happy RP and the strength to thrive in EVE's dystopian RP scene. As someone put it, Mitty is a kitten with Aldrith only but a lioness everywhere else. I hope to emulate that with Katrina by shutting off most of the public examples of Kat's soft side, reserving it for private RP as suggested.

In an effort to distance myself from Kat to ease the IC/OOC burden, I mentioned she's unapologetic. She is growing strongly Caldari in nature again, and is passionate about her support for the Liberal agenda as I see it. This is to note that she doesn't see the Caldari as friends with the Federation or Republic or Empire. Business is business, and she believes that the path to a stronger State is through relatively cooperative free trade with foreign powers.

The darker truth behind her smiles and handshakes is that she does in fact think:

* The Amarr Empire is a dangerous ally and one that should be kept at arm's length.
* The Minmatar Republic is a pathetic social mess barely worthy of respect.
* The Gallente Federation is an increasingly insufferable mass of pompous buffoons.
* The Caldari State under the control of Heth represents a grave threat to both Ishukone and her..

TL;DR, she doesn't really like anybody but Ishukone and Hyasyoda. Anyone not of those two megacorps is someone she will always view with a measure of suspicion and caution. I'm going to start writing in some light dashes of ethnocentric bias and make it more difficult for her to get along with non Caldari.

It's also worth noting that she never says "Saisieni, Summit" anymore. She no longer considers outsiders her kin worthy of her native tongue. Unless the person is Caldari, she will not consider them kin without the person first demonstrating they deserve that respect by both supporting and -fighting for- the State and Ishukone.

Serendipitous Echo

« Reply #38 on: 01 Jul 2012, 22:48 »

TL;DR, she doesn't really like anybody but Ishukone and Hyasyoda. Anyone not of those two megacorps is someone she will always view with a measure of suspicion and caution. I'm going to start writing in some light dashes of ethnocentric bias and make it more difficult for her to get along with non Caldari.
Question: what exactly is her issue with a Heth-led Caldari government? Is it more that he is opposed to Ishukone or are there other reasons? It's a fascinating contradiction you have built in there.

Makkal

• Pod Captain
  • Khanid victor
    • At the End of Your Journey
« Reply #39 on: 02 Jul 2012, 04:33 »

The darker truth behind her smiles and handshakes is that she does in fact think:

* The Amarr Empire is a dangerous ally and one that should be kept at arm's length.
* The Minmatar Republic is a pathetic social mess barely worthy of respect.
* The Gallente Federation is an increasingly insufferable mass of pompous buffoons.
* The Caldari State under the control of Heth represents a grave threat to both Ishukone and her..

Khanid Kingdom... beneath her notice. :)

I'm glad to hear things are looking up. I find it adds to my RP immensely when I have a strong, well-defined vision for a character.

Makkal and her haven’t yet managed to have an actual conversation, but she’s a pleasure to watch whenever she comes out of the shadows to public venues.
Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars!

Current Events

Desiderya

« Reply #40 on: 02 Jul 2012, 04:47 »

Kat.

I-LIKE.

:cube:

Hamish Grayson

« Reply #41 on: 02 Jul 2012, 05:28 »

Question: what exactly is her issue with a Heth-led Caldari government? Is it more that he is opposed to Ishukone or are there other reasons? It's a fascinating contradiction you have built in there.

If you think it's weird for a loyal Caldari to not like Heth, you haven't been paying attention to the Caldari RP scene for the last six years.    Most Provisit characters, with exception of Dana Kim, that come on the scene don't stay long.   Either they leave RP or leave eve.      I've a theory that the type of person who finds that part of Eve's story interesting is the sort th

That being said, there are one or two small groups in the Caldari Militia that seem to be provist rpers based on corp/alliance (Templis Dragonaors) info, but I think that's more the case of the CEOs reading the FW book TEA when they made a FW corp and not that they are actually RP corps.
« Last Edit: 02 Jul 2012, 05:44 by Hamish Grayson »

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
« Reply #42 on: 02 Jul 2012, 06:17 »

I like this new, harder Kat.  Almost sounds like a proper Patriot (in Liberal clothing).  ;)

If you think it's weird for a loyal Caldari to not like Heth, you haven't been paying attention to the Caldari RP scene for the last six years.    Most Provisit characters, with exception of Dana Kim, that come on the scene don't stay long.   Either they leave RP or leave eve.      I've a theory that the type of person who finds that part of Eve's story interesting is the sort th

the sort th-- The sort that what??  :o

That being said, there are one or two small groups in the Caldari Militia that seem to be provist rpers based on corp/alliance (Templis Dragonaors) info, but I think that's more the case of the CEOs reading the FW book TEA when they made a FW corp and not that they are actually RP corps.

Fairly certain Templis Dragonaors is named so just for flavor.  If their pilots RP, I haven't seen it in the last month of flying the warzone.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #43 on: 02 Jul 2012, 06:19 »

When do you intend to hire Charlize Theron for the related movie ?

Bataav

• Egger
    • Intaki Liberation Front
« Reply #44 on: 02 Jul 2012, 06:30 »

I've a theory that the type of person who finds that part of Eve's story interesting is the sort th

the sort th-- The sort that what??  :o

Edge of my seat.

I'm on it.
#FreeIntaki | #IntakiPride
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11