Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The Lai Dai megacorporation has far ranging interests, is one of the foremost research companies in the cluster, and has strong links to the Khanid Kingdom?

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 17

Author Topic: Welp, there goes all the Elder Scrolls players from the EVE community...  (Read 31685 times)

Desiderya

Had a quick stint there this weekend, only around 4 -5 hours or so over three days, so not a terribly deep insight.
It's what it says on the box. Elder Scrolls Online. The character generation is very well made, and so far my favorite in contemporary MMOs. Everything seemed to be well-made but not outrageously inspiring, there were some odd bugs (hello stuck-in-crafting-station! How have you been since Skyrim?), movement and slaughtering was feeling nice for an MMO, with archery being even shittier than in Skyrim. The voice acting was indeed well, and the score was both familiar and really, really well-made. All in all I was enjoying playing with a friend, but everyone outside my group of two seemed to be out of place. This was of course cluttered in the early areas, but while I'd literally kill for the opportunity to play TES with friends I'm still not sold on the MMO concept in this time, as the world will always seem too small to support even its NPCs, let alone multiple superheroes. At least it felt that way when comparing the map with the two little starting islands I've played.

This is the same for basically every landscape MMO at the moment, but the focus on exploration might not work with too many people around. Also I hate sitting in the palace gardens, chillaxing with my mead and boytoys and seeing the goblin infested mine in (long)bow range.

In other words: I've seen a lot worse.

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod

I was on for the last beta weekend; unfortunately, that finished the day Backstage decided to kerplooie. Will post my further impressions and some screenshots tomorrow.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Rin Kaelestria

• Egger
  • The fluffly Rinyan!

Out of curiousity, is there anyone here who's going to play this game?

Lyn Farel

I am... mostly to play with friends rather than because interested by the game itself tbh. On the EU server though.
« Last Edit: 29 Mar 2014, 12:10 by Lyn Farel »

Samira Kernher

• Soulless Puppet
  • Veteran
  • Ardishapur Victor

Nope. Have heard nothing but bad about it.

Jace

• Veteran

Really? Like what? Only negative things I've heard have been distances from towns to certain mission areas and some people not liking the bow mechanics.

Edit: I mean ESO-specific issues. The standard landscape MMO criticisms mostly seem to apply, from what I hear. I plan on checking it out, but not sure if my crappy internet will give me playable latency. Might have to wait until I get new internet, which hopefully will be soon.
« Last Edit: 29 Mar 2014, 21:41 by Jace »

Vincent Pryce

Really? Like what?

Combat feels... Very meh. Most of the time you feel like an impotent duck flailing on the sea against space monkeys. It's just not that fun and lacks depth. Only indicator that anything is really happening are the red bars going slowly down. All in all movement felt sluggish and clunky.

Only time you can even interract with the opposing sides is instanced to pvp and only to pvp. This means when doing PVE content you do not see hear or interract with the other factions in any way, not even in zones that share questing content.

All that considered it just feels incredibly generic. It brings nothing new to the table so far. I can't even say it's a nice experience for the fans of the series when the lore has gotten CCP'd.

Like said earlier, I'm sure some will like it. The character creator is really nice and the voice acting at the start have some nice talent to it. SOme have said the game turns fun at endgame. Couldn't say, the beta time nor my interest lasted that long.

I was just extremely disappointed by the experience.

I'll probably give it a go again after it goes free-to-play, but I'm not gonna pay a dime for this travesty.

Lyn Farel

Really? Like what?

Combat feels... Very meh. Most of the time you feel like an impotent duck flailing on the sea against space monkeys. It's just not that fun and lacks depth. Only indicator that anything is really happening are the red bars going slowly down. All in all movement felt sluggish and clunky.

Only time you can even interract with the opposing sides is instanced to pvp and only to pvp. This means when doing PVE content you do not see hear or interract with the other factions in any way, not even in zones that share questing content.

All that considered it just feels incredibly generic. It brings nothing new to the table so far. I can't even say it's a nice experience for the fans of the series when the lore has gotten CCP'd.

Like said earlier, I'm sure some will like it. The character creator is really nice and the voice acting at the start have some nice talent to it. SOme have said the game turns fun at endgame. Couldn't say, the beta time nor my interest lasted that long.

I was just extremely disappointed by the experience.

I'll probably give it a go again after it goes free-to-play, but I'm not gonna pay a dime for this travesty.

Yeah that's what I fear too...

Also, on the point that only the pvp area makes you interact with other factions while the rest of the zones are reserved for pve farming, which reminds me a lot of swtor sheer stupidity, I heard that they planned for inter factional guilds ? How does that fit into the equation ?

kalaratiri

• Kalalalaakiota
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
  • Shes mad but shes magic, theres no lie in her fire

WELCOME TO ESO

"Eve roleplayers scare me." - The Mittani

Jace

• Veteran

Nice. I didn't really think through the Early Access thing. Bought and started my download too late, it probably won't finish until most of Early Access is already done if not completely done.

Makoto Priano

Bought in, and I'll try to give it a go these next few evenings. From what I'm hearing, though, it's a very conventional MMO dressed up in Elder Scrolls fluff.

If they'd just, y'know, found a way to do multiplayer Skyrim...

Ember Vykos

• Not so bitter bitter fucking vet...
  • Pod Captain
  • I bring nothing to the table.

If it had controller support it'd be awesome. Still debating it though. I played the betas and liked it enough, but not enough to really commit just yet. EVE has really spoiled me and I hate grinding, but ESO didn't seem that bad in that regard. Granted I never really got very far or even level up due to lack of playtime during the beta.
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Current active RP character(s) - Kairelle
Past RP characters - Ember Vykos, Simca Develon

Samira Kernher

• Soulless Puppet
  • Veteran
  • Ardishapur Victor

Bought in, and I'll try to give it a go these next few evenings. From what I'm hearing, though, it's a very conventional MMO dressed up in Elder Scrolls fluff.

If they'd just, y'know, found a way to do multiplayer Skyrim...

This is why I'm not getting it.

Elder Scrolls has always had rather bland lore. The universe isn't that great. It was the exploration and freeform sandbox-ness of it that made it a good franchise.

With ESO, they decided to make a stock WoW-clone instead of adhering to the franchise's strengths. Ergo, no point in playing.

Gwen Ikiryo

• Omelette

Elder Scrolls has always had rather bland lore. The universe isn't that great.

I'll forever hate Oblivion for making people believe this!

I actually don't really dislike the game - It's a bit WoWesque, but the developers have made a lot of efforts to make it feel more immersive and less like a typical MMO. Changing the combat system pretty much completely, minimizing the interface...

The only thing really wrong with it is the bugs. Atleast three times today, I've run into a crate or something at the wrong angle and been catapaulted into outer space while the pseudo-physics engine loses it's mind. Not to mention the amount of quests that have missing NPCs and are unfinishable.
« Last Edit: 01 Apr 2014, 22:35 by Gwen Ikiryo »

Rin Kaelestria

• Egger
  • The fluffly Rinyan!

I'm not someone who's really been following along game after game with The Elder Scrolls series. I'll admit, my first experience with one was Skyrim, and I enjoyed that. That game made me look a bit more into the lore behind TES, and from what I've seen, the lore isn't bland, imo. Even considered looking into getting Morrowind for my laptop, if I can still find it out there.

But I do realize it's not everyone's cup of tea, so to each their own on if they like or do not like the game/lore.

As for myself, I'm taking a break from EVE regardless. Playing ESO while I'm on that break was a side thought. It's enjoyable enough, though just wish character creation wasn't done in a dark room where it's harder to see some details.  :lol:  Btw, if anyone's on the NA server, say something. Be more then happy to give you a shout in game.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 17