Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That Sabik's Sepsis is a blood disease that rarely lasts into adulthood, but is considered sacrilege when it does? (The Burning Life, pp. 20,21)

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 17

Author Topic: Welp, there goes all the Elder Scrolls players from the EVE community...  (Read 31661 times)

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/

How the hell can they screw up things that royally.

They always seemed to dislike the idea of taking the IP seriously; things like researching (and respecting) prior content and integrating it into the new were seen as unnecessary and excessive.

Because of that ?
\o/

lallara zhuul

• Now with rainbows and butterflies.
  • Veteran

That's just bad business.

If you're going to poach an IP for fans, then staying true to the IP would be the most obvious thing to do.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Druur Monakh

• Wetgraver
    • Hazardous Goods

I watched the video, trying to like it, and for Explorers it might be a nice game no matter what. But for me, this one line killed it for me:

"Once you hit level 50, the game really opens up."

If you're mostly a PvE player, you prefer the game to open up right away, since you won't participating in the "endgame" content anyway.

If you're an endgame raider, or "PvP"er, you'll grind through the 50 levels as fast as possible, to get to the good stuff.

Either way, the 50-levels-before-game will be a waste because neither target group will want it.

(I'm not good at getting my point across, but since this is the best I could condense it to, I'm going to stick with it)

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV

Yeah I hate that sort of bullshit in MMOs. Why isn't the game open from the FIRST level? I'm not paying for a grindfest, I'm paying for a massive world inhabited by thousands.

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
  • The untraditional traditionalist

Yeah I hate that sort of bullshit in MMOs. Why isn't the game open from the FIRST level? I'm not paying for a grindfest, I'm paying for a massive world inhabited by thousands.

One of the things that makes EVE superior; There are no wasted 'stages'.

You wanna explore? go right ahead, probing skills are easy to get, hard to master.

Wanna PVP? you can tackle and be useful form day 1, from there it's all improvements.

Wanna do industry? No problem, pick what you want to do specifically, and aim for that. Mining for instance is daoble form day 1 with only effectiveness and diversity building as time goes.

Wanna do marke - fuck it, you know how this goes.

WoW, TOR, LII, TERA, AEON and many, many other level-based MMO's had and have the problem with levels - some will be higher than others and some content will not be available or viable until you get a specific level or stage. WoW raiding is for end-game gear and level cap, LII PVP has you seriously out-matched by higher level players in guild conflicts and such, and so on.

Games like GW2 and PS2 did it right. PS2 by being a F2P MMO-FPS where 'experience' earns certificates that buy weapons, upgrades and so on that increase your effectiveness, but a battle-rank 1 no-upgrades noob can still be useful in anything they want to do, save perhaps player-skill intensive things like fighter craft piloting. Guild Wars 2 buffs/nerfs levels on players depending on what zone your in or if your doing PVP or anything, so even a max-level toon can help his new lvl1 noob friend out without having to roll a new toon to not be overpowered. I love that aspect of that game.

As far as I can tell so far, this MMO will be a cut-and-dry 'standard' MMO with all the faults available and little innovation, skimping even on the Elder Scrolls feel. Massive disappointment. I guess however it remains to be seen how this pans out, it's very early in the game's development still, isn't it?

ArtOfLight

• Retired Combat Pilot
  • Omelette
  • Bright Stars, Clear Horizons

This makes me so angry in so many ways.

I'm sorry it makes you angry. I've been watching this game for a while and I must say that I have a very positive outlook toward it which I didn't have when I first heard the announcement.

It doesn't matter anyways, because you can now say goodbye to Elder Scrolls VI. Skyrim was the last single player game for Elder Scrolls. Why bother making more single player blockbusters when you can add another shitty expansion to what will probably be another worthless MMO.

This is verifiably false though, sorry. ESO is being developed by ZeniMax Online Studios in tandem with Bethesda as a lore and concept advisor. Bethesda is not involved in the game otherwise and has announced, quite clearly, that they will continue to produce single player Elder Scrolls games.

It should be noted that all of the Elder Scrolls games have been released with game breaking bugs and stability issues. The MMO will be no different.

I suspect it will be, as the team doing the balancing and bug tracking is not Bethesda's team and the balance and bug-tracking of an MMO is infinitely more important than a game in which you can overcome most bugs by the console and it only affects a single player. I suspect a much higher priority will be placed on bug-squishing.

Enough of this MMO crap. BRING BACK REAL RPGs!

On this we are in solid agreement. Though, I confess that myself and a small group of friends are creating a dedicated roleplaying group for the game.

It seriously is worth looking into and making an educated decision about.
"A man's courage can be measured by what he does, his wisdom by what he chooses not to do and his character by the sum of both."

ArtOfLight

• Retired Combat Pilot
  • Omelette

That's just bad business.

If you're going to poach an IP for fans, then staying true to the IP would be the most obvious thing to do.

They actually are remaining relatively close to the IP. The timeline is set 1000 years before Skyrim, which is 200 years before Tiber Septim (Talos) and the dawn of the Third Era.

The factions at war over Cyrodiil are actual factions that existed during the time based on the lore write-up. The stylized characters may not look as "real" and detailed as they do in the single player games but that's because it's impossible to do so and still expect the servers and individual computers to render multiple characters in anything resembling real time. They have to be a little bit stylized to allow for multiple characters on screen at once, especially since they're aiming to have 200+ characters on screen in massive wars.

As far as the lore goes, they're actually following it quite well. The world may look a little bit more stylized but the landscaping is as similar to it as you could expect under the circumstances.

Are they doing everything perfectly? Of course not, but at least they're doing better than they could be doing.
"A man's courage can be measured by what he does, his wisdom by what he chooses not to do and his character by the sum of both."

Tiberious Thessalonia

• Everyone's favorite philositoaster
  • Pod Captain
  • Panini Press

One issue me and my friends are seeing is that it rather looks like they are shoehorning groups together in order to get to their "Three factions, three races per faction" idea, such that I am not sure how they are going to handle it.
Do you see it now?  Something is different.  Something is never was in the first part!

Victoria Stecker

• Pod Captain

They have to be a little bit stylized to allow for multiple characters on screen at once, especially since they're aiming to have 200+ characters on screen in massive wars.

That sounds a lot like Planetside with magic and swords. I can't really see them keeping it true to tES gameplay and managing to balance it without it coming out like a number of other recent MMOs.

ArtOfLight

• Retired Combat Pilot
  • Omelette

One issue me and my friends are seeing is that it rather looks like they are shoehorning groups together in order to get to their "Three factions, three races per faction" idea, such that I am not sure how they are going to handle it.

I have similar concerns, but (to be fair) the groups they're putting together do share regional harmony with one another on the provincial maps and the reasons they have them banding together are at least believable from an RP perspective. Not perfect, I guess, but believable enough to be workable.

Ilsenae Alexandros

• Adjutant of the Wiyrkomi Honor Guard
  • Clonejack
  • Tea Maker
    • Eskeitanen Wiyrkomi Kaashivon

I watched the video, trying to like it, and for Explorers it might be a nice game no matter what. But for me, this one line killed it for me:

If you're mostly a PvE player, you prefer the game to open up right away, since you won't participating in the "endgame" content anyway.

If you're an endgame raider, or "PvP"er, you'll grind through the 50 levels as fast as possible, to get to the good stuff.

Either way, the 50-levels-before-game will be a waste because neither target group will want it.

(I'm not good at getting my point across, but since this is the best I could condense it to, I'm going to stick with it)

"Opens up at 50" is kind of integral to an MMORPG, or really any RPG that relies on character levels or stratified difficulty. End-game content is how you keep subscribers. This is one of the reasons Bioware's The Old Republic failed: once your character reached the max level, the story ended. You must have continuing content after the level climb.

The reason EVE doesn't have this problem is because of its sandbox nature, and the way skills serve as a gatekeeper to higher strata of difficulty. Content is spread out horizontally, not vertically along level tiers.

Ilsenae Alexandros

• Adjutant of the Wiyrkomi Honor Guard
  • Clonejack
  • Tea Maker
    • Eskeitanen Wiyrkomi Kaashivon

New trailer thingie for the MMO.

Looks like it lacks the feel of the Elder Scroll series.

Visually and thematically.

I really don't know how you can come to this conclusion.

Lyn Farel

New trailer thingie for the MMO.

Looks like it lacks the feel of the Elder Scroll series.

Visually and thematically.

I really don't know how you can come to this conclusion.

I wouldn't be so radical myself but I thought something in the lines of "doesn't look elder-scrollish" a lot on some visuals. Color saturated (bad) FX, amongst other visuals that makes me think their artistic direction might not be totally faithful toward the original series... Looks very "standard MMO-ish" to me. Not surprising since it is another studio that is in charge and not Bethesda, right ?

It lacks definitly something imo, but to the point of saying that they are screwing things royally, well, i'm not that into the licence to begin with so I couldnt tell. But the video game artist in me is not really impressed for now.

Druur Monakh

• Wetgraver
    • Hazardous Goods

"Opens up at 50" is kind of integral to an MMORPG, or really any RPG that relies on character levels or stratified difficulty. End-game content is how you keep subscribers.

Oh, I know that - and that's one reason why I haven't played any of them ever since MUDs lost their appeal.

One exception: I did try LotRO last year, so that I could at least have some first-hand experience of modern style MMORPGs in addition to EVE (and I wanted to see the Argonath), but I got bored after about six hours and haven't started it since.

I'd still like to see the Argonath, though.

Desiderya

The absolute realization that everything you've worked for at [Current Max Level] will be worthless within a couple of hours into the next expansion with an increased levelcap has kinda ruined my enjoyment of the typical modern "Max level, then ENDGAME, OH SWEET JESUS; WE HAVE ENDGAME!"-MMO. But hey, there'll be another set of challenges (industry for "hamster wheel") so that you can be as good as you were prior to the expansion.  :s

Therefore that little sentence "once you reach level 50 the game opens up" is a warning flag for me.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 17