Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That naturalist cafes on space stations go to great lengths to create the illusion that one is not in space? (The Burning Life, p. 62)

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9

Author Topic: Let there be WAR!  (Read 15218 times)

kalaratiri

• Kalalalaakiota
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
  • Shes mad but shes magic, theres no lie in her fire
Re: Let there be WAR!
« Reply #15 on: 30 Apr 2012, 11:57 »

I'm sure SKDI would be delighted to shoot anyone who asks :D (and probably quite a few who don't  :P )

"Eve roleplayers scare me." - The Mittani

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #16 on: 30 Apr 2012, 12:12 »

I suggest we all steer clear of Aldrith and that chainsword... the man means business.

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #17 on: 30 Apr 2012, 12:19 »

the faction war thing is a bit of a limiting factor, i think ?

like, on the IGS, there's been some threads where Amarr-orientated people have said things that are heterodoxical, or possibly even heretical, or have said they don't even pay lip service to things. I get the impression that in times past, such talk would have been a casus belli for other persons.

same with some more recent things. lets see, first page of IGS, there's a thing about developing AI, theres' a thing whereby someone confesses to buying a slave, there's a thing about blood raiders, there's a thing about Intaki prosperity.

All of those look like there's the potential for some spaceship pew, but I don't get  the impression that there's much going on, and there's a bit of "the empyrean war is more important than this" going on.
\o/

Nmaro Makari

• Nemo
  • Pod Captain
  • SHARKBAIT-HOOHAHA!
« Reply #18 on: 30 Apr 2012, 12:37 »

I had a think about this, and I mostly put it down to reluctance among the RP community, tbh. Reluctance to expend resources, linking into that reluctance to expend resources just over some shit someone said or did, and also a reluctance to be seen as griefers in some cases.

But then again with FW, maybe most of the people who do like the shoot first ask questons later aproach are already spoken for in one of the militias.

I'm not exactly an experienced warfighter, so its probably that its like the wars I've fought where its a quiet affair, no drums and trumpets in public.

And with DSTON and other's apalling public performances, we sadly may have a permanent taboo on "We launched a glorious campaign and succeed in ousting corp x from region y. Glory to Z corp!" Type thing, which is sad because war is a big part of EVE but the RP community almost never hears about it.

But enough of that

*flexes hand near gun holster while wind gently blows tumbleweed across his path*
The very model of a British Minmatarian

Tiberious Thessalonia

• Everyone's favorite philositoaster
  • Pod Captain
  • Panini Press
« Reply #19 on: 30 Apr 2012, 13:02 »

Personally, and this is just my opionion and I don't want to say this in my position as an Official Diplomat for the True Slave Foundations (tm), I would -love- to be in a permanent war with groups like SYNE.  If we agreed to keep it to a relatively decent level OOC, fighting over specific places and the like, that could be a good amount of relatively casual fun.  Sort of like RvB but RP.  Kyber's idea is a good one, and one I would support.
Do you see it now?  Something is different.  Something is never was in the first part!

Aldrith Shutaq

• Fleet Captain
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #20 on: 30 Apr 2012, 13:03 »

like, on the IGS, there's been some threads where Amarr-orientated people have said things that are heterodoxical, or possibly even heretical, or have said they don't even pay lip service to things. I get the impression that in times past, such talk would have been a casus belli for other persons.

same with some more recent things. lets see, first page of IGS, there's a thing about developing AI, theres' a thing whereby someone confesses to buying a slave, there's a thing about blood raiders, there's a thing about Intaki prosperity.

All of those look like there's the potential for some spaceship pew, but I don't get  the impression that there's much going on, and there's a bit of "the empyrean war is more important than this" going on.

As the Empyrean wars have dragged on over the years, the general culture seems to have slowly turned away from this line of thought. Also, a lot of Amarr 'RP-ers' have never really been enthusiastic about serving the 24th IC. CVA (meh) comes to mind, but so do quite a few others. Quite a few Minmatar RP'ers have been rather enthusiastic about the war by contrast. The expansion has a good chance to re-ignite interest in both the mechanic and RP motivations, but eventually the hype will die down again I think. Then we're left with wardecs, which will still be squiffy. Hi-sec wars suck hard, and I don't think CCP's system changes will help at all. I mean, I'd love to ram my chainsword into some ribcages, but I keep asking myself 'how practical is this?' which is sad because I really do want to go Michael Myers on some unrighteous, smug faces.

The worst thing that could happen is these wars degrading into campy grief-fests. You can have fun losing in a fair fight, but not being podded on the undock by an intsta-locking SeBo'd Loki. Wat du.

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #21 on: 30 Apr 2012, 13:24 »

Personally, and this is just my opionion and I don't want to say this in my position as an Official Diplomat for the True Slave Foundations (tm), I would -love- to be in a permanent war with groups like SYNE.  If we agreed to keep it to a relatively decent level OOC, fighting over specific places and the like, that could be a good amount of relatively casual fun.  Sort of like RvB but RP.  Kyber's idea is a good one, and one I would support.

Tib already knows, but for others: Kyber and I may have Ideas of Things on this front to post Sooner than Soon™. Watch this space or others near it. :twisted:
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #22 on: 30 Apr 2012, 13:28 »

As the Empyrean wars have dragged on over the years, the general culture seems to have slowly turned away from this line of thought. Also, a lot of Amarr 'RP-ers' have never really been enthusiastic about serving the 24th IC. CVA (meh) comes to mind, but so do quite a few others. Quite a few Minmatar RP'ers have been rather enthusiastic about the war by contrast. The expansion has a good chance to re-ignite interest in both the mechanic and RP motivations, but eventually the hype will die down again I think. Then we're left with wardecs, which will still be squiffy. Hi-sec wars suck hard, and I don't think CCP's system changes will help at all. I mean, I'd love to ram my chainsword into some ribcages, but I keep asking myself 'how practical is this?' which is sad because I really do want to go Michael Myers on some unrighteous, smug faces.

The worst thing that could happen is these wars degrading into campy grief-fests. You can have fun losing in a fair fight, but not being podded on the undock by an intsta-locking SeBo'd Loki. Wat du.

This has always been an issue with RPers, in setting up a 'fun' but even matchup for combat. Eve's asymmetrical nature makes this a difficult prospect. Combined with many RPers whom like to imagine their characters being more powerful/better space combatants than they are, and its a recipe for very little shooting in space for actual consequences.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #23 on: 30 Apr 2012, 13:29 »

Also, it would be good to revive the NEA or things like that where actual leaders of a lot of RP corps could be there (because they often have no reasons to come to the Summit, which is for the masses).

Actually, I updated the question/discussion prompt set in NEA the other day, thanks to some very good (and very long overdue) suggestions from Nakal. I'd like to leave them up for a couple weeks, then toss up another new set, but I need people to suggest them. I'd been asking for people to do that for a while, but nobody bit until last week. :(

That, and also I quite liked what was behind the NEA with Benjamin. Not necessarily the space UN thing, but most the fact that it was supposed to be a summit where a lot of influencial leaders were to meet each other. This was a good link between factions and subfactions, like in any assembly, imo, and something that may be lacking these days. Like IRL, I like to see our political leaders stating things while other leaders answer with vitriolic words with PR and stuff like that. I miss that on the IGS, ingame, or whatever. Like when something happens in the geopolitical world, USA president says that Syria should be subject to UN overview, and Russia answers that it shall not be (yet), and China approves, and ensuing interesting conflict, etc.

What I mean, I liked the political summit side of that channel, not necessarily the UN side.

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #24 on: 30 Apr 2012, 13:39 »

The summit-of-leaders thing works up to a certain point: the point where various leaders are actually representing groups that are at war with each other.

Which, unfortunately, thanks to TEA, is the status quo for any such summit these days. You also run into the issue that we can't actually enforce any kind of sanctions or binding agreements, among others - the NEA as envisioned originally was a great idea, but what amounts to a player-run CONCORD Assembly is just... well, doomed to failure due to an inability to actually have any measurable effect.

If you've got ideas for how to get around those problems, by all means - but in the meantime, it's best to use the channel as it's currently set up - for more structured debate than the Summit (or more accurately, its noisier omg-look-at-me residents) allows.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Ulphus

• Bitter dried flower
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #25 on: 30 Apr 2012, 14:42 »

Tib already knows, but for others: Kyber and I may have Ideas of Things on this front to post Sooner than Soon™. Watch this space or others near it. :twisted:

Does that mean Kyber is coming back? :squeee:
Adult to 4y.o "Your shoes are on the wrong feet"
Long pause
4y.o to adult, in plaintive voice "I don't have any other feet!"

Ulphus

• Bitter dried flower
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #26 on: 30 Apr 2012, 14:51 »

The summit-of-leaders thing works up to a certain point: the point where various leaders are actually representing groups that are at war with each other.

Which, unfortunately, thanks to TEA, is the status quo for any such summit these days.

Even if there wasn't Faction wars going on all the time, I don't think many Matari alliances would ever accept slavers like the Amarr loyalists or Angels have a vote about things affecting the Matari. There are probably other friction points for other factions as well.
Long pause

John Revenent

• Taisho - Friendly Neighborhood Caldari Liberal (Punching Bag)
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #27 on: 30 Apr 2012, 18:23 »

War... War is good.

Mathra Hiede

• Omelette
« Reply #28 on: 30 Apr 2012, 20:43 »

:yar:
War... War is good.

John your not happy unless you have at least half of the cluster to shoot at.

On some level for RP wars I think OOC co-operation is needed, if only to try and make sure decents fights can happen - say if the OOC leader of (a) 'leaks' that they will be doing something at 'x' time and 'y' place leader (B) could then lead a gang to find out/attack.

There are infinite choices, it could be an extraction, a convoy, supply dump anything - but even just a simple well natured and hopefully returned tip-off would be invaluable to getting some pew and real RP over this.

Innocence prooves nothing - Solen Sean

Ulphus

• Bitter dried flower
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #29 on: 30 Apr 2012, 21:18 »

On some level for RP wars I think OOC co-operation is needed, if only to try and make sure decents fights can happen - say if the OOC leader of (a) 'leaks' that they will be doing something at 'x' time and 'y' place leader (B) could then lead a gang to find out/attack.

I assume there are enough spies in EM for this to be unnecessary. And I'm not sure that most of our immersionist leadership would be happy with this concept. We don't pick wars for good fights, we pick wars we think we can win, or at least make a difference*.

There are infinite choices, it could be an extraction, a convoy, supply dump anything - but even just a simple well natured and hopefully returned tip-off would be invaluable to getting some pew and real RP over this.

Serious question: What counts as "real RP" out of this?  What analogy are people using where they think that conversations and cocktails in the same room as people you were shooting at yesterday, and will shoot at tomorrow, makes sense?

If we're playing WWII pilots during the war, how much RP can there possibly be between Adolf Galland and Bob Tuck? Perhaps we could have witty repartee like cold war spies at the embassy ball... if we didn't have an actual shooting war going on, but it kind of feels like we do.

*It's slightly more complicated than that.
Long pause
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9