Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The Blood Raider elites do not generally mix with the rest of the Sani Sabik? (The Burning Life, p. 50)

Author Topic: Games on the forum  (Read 1359 times)

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
Games on the forum
« on: 01 Apr 2012, 19:43 »

Andreus's thread to start an RPG played on the forum brought this to my attention, and I thought I would run it by folks:

I think it's a good idea for the 'game runner' (Dungeon Master, Game Master, etc - this is also generally going to be the OP for the thread for whatever game) to have a little more 'thread ownership' than is the norm on here. I don't expect it to be a big issue, but I would say that if someone is GMing a forum game, they should probably be allowed to report someone who is posting in the thread who shouldn't be, or doing other things that are disruptive but not generally against the guidelines of the broader forum.

What do you think?

Also, if we end up with more games run here, I wouldn't be averse to setting up a sub-forum for them. We'll tackle that if more games pop up, though.

Kiki Truzhari

• Dirty little space witch
  • Wetgraver
  • No Light! No Light!
Re: Games on the forum
« Reply #1 on: 02 Apr 2012, 02:47 »

I'd vote yes on both counts.
Prohasar man opre pirende - sa muro djiben semas opre chengende

Jev North

« Reply #2 on: 02 Apr 2012, 03:07 »

Yes, quite. The way I've seen most forum games done is to have one thread dedicated to in-game actions and description, basically restricted to the actual players, and an out-of-game companion thread for meta discussion, rules questions, and comments from the peanut gallery.

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
« Reply #3 on: 02 Apr 2012, 03:16 »

Yes, quite. The way I've seen most forum games done is to have one thread dedicated to in-game actions and description, basically restricted to the actual players, and an out-of-game companion thread for meta discussion, rules questions, and comments from the peanut gallery.

Yeah, that's a format I've seen before - and that's one of the reasons that if we end up with more than 1, a subforum might be a good idea, since at 2-3 threads/game things can get quite cluttered otherwise.  :D

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
  • The untraditional traditionalist
« Reply #4 on: 02 Apr 2012, 03:24 »

Next we re-name this forum the New Nexus Archanus forums 8)

I jest, ofc. I'd vote in favor of the dual-tread idea of having one IC tread and one OOC tread for all talks, questions etc. regarding the RP itself. I've seen it used several times and it usually works well. No need for non-IC story in the main story tread - this also makes it easier to know when the story has actually moved on, not just when someone comments.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
« Reply #5 on: 02 Apr 2012, 04:50 »

I don't see why not. A separate forum for it isn't quite necessary just yet, but if it becomes a thing, it's not like an extra forum tab will hurt anyone.

Horatius Caul

• Words words words
  • Omelette
« Reply #6 on: 02 Apr 2012, 06:22 »

Next we re-name this forum the New Nexus Archanus forums 8)

I jest, ofc. I'd vote in favor of the dual-tread idea of having one IC tread and one OOC tread for all talks, questions etc. regarding the RP itself. I've seen it used several times and it usually works well. No need for non-IC story in the main story tread - this also makes it easier to know when the story has actually moved on, not just when someone comments.
Probably won't play on these forums, but back when I played on The Conclave that was how we did things. We actually had separate forum sections for IC and OOC, with paired threads in each. I really can't imagine playing over forum in just a single thread.

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
« Reply #7 on: 02 Apr 2012, 12:23 »

Yeah, like I said, unless it becomes a bit more common, we wouldn't need to worry about new subforums or anything just yet.  :)