Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The main ingredients in Protein Delicacies were in fact organic waste, processed station sewage and second grade biomass? For more, read here.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Censorship in the Republic?  (Read 4899 times)

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
Censorship in the Republic?
« on: 24 Apr 2010, 11:59 »

New item here: http://www.eveonline.com/mb2/news.asp?nid=3846

Seems like kinda nasty censorship?

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
Re: Censorship in the Republic?
« Reply #1 on: 24 Apr 2010, 12:27 »

I always love it when we get to see a little darker side of the Republic. Though this "Reconcile" group sounds interesting in its own way.

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
« Reply #2 on: 24 Apr 2010, 12:34 »

Would be interesting if it was financed by shadowy interests ultimately tied to the Caldari or something.

Havohej

• Friendly Neighborhood Forum Admin
  • Veteran
  • Ex-convict
    • EWF Digital Consulting
« Reply #3 on: 24 Apr 2010, 12:37 »

Most interesting part of that for me (because I hate the Federation-controlled Peacenik Republic :p) is the appearance of the Providence war in a news item.  Good going, UNITY, .-A-. and CVA :)

Twitter
This is a forum on steroids tbh. The rate at which content worth reading is being generated could get you pregnant.

Casiella

• Demigod
« Reply #4 on: 24 Apr 2010, 12:40 »

Yeah, when I read it, I immediately realized loved seeing the blending of the nullsec capsuleer alliance news with that of the inner core nations.

Jakiin

• Sorceror of Semantic
  • Wetgraver
« Reply #5 on: 24 Apr 2010, 13:49 »

Agreed with Hej and Cas. Normally, aside from major events, NPC EVE and PC EVE are kept seperate with a barbed fence.

Though I'm not sure this is censorship, it's just some overly liberal lobbysit group exerting political pressure and getting their way regardless of respect for personal freedoms or the government's stated ideals.

You know, democracy.

Casiella

• Demigod
« Reply #6 on: 24 Apr 2010, 13:52 »

The government prevented a private organization from engaging in commercial speech for the sole reason that it was classless and would just antagonize people.

Sounds like censorship to me.

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
« Reply #7 on: 24 Apr 2010, 13:56 »

In an OOC way, I think the inclusion of the player stuff might have been the point of putting the article up. Maybe they (ISD) didn't realize that it would indicate a particularly worrisome form censorship as written, or maybe that part was intentional.

It is cool that -A-, UK, etc are getting recognition for the all-minnie fleet.  :D

Misan

• Shady Thukker & Ninja Admin
  • Pod Captain
    • Serious Thukking Business - Blog
« Reply #8 on: 24 Apr 2010, 14:18 »

Yeah, that part is quite awesome. I had to re-read it once to make sure it wasn't an ISD piece about them specifically.

Interesting to see the government folding to pressure from interest groups. I thought the Republic government was postured to support a more militant stance against the Amarr Empire right now? Seems a bit odd...
EVE Blog and Project Status: on hold -- busy being Thukker-esque IRL.
Twitter
What I'm busy with, if you're curious.

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
« Reply #9 on: 24 Apr 2010, 14:23 »

Yeah, that part is quite awesome. I had to re-read it once to make sure it wasn't an ISD piece about them specifically.

Interesting to see the government folding to pressure from interest groups. I thought the Republic government was postured to support a more militant stance against the Amarr Empire right now? Seems a bit odd...

Could indicate public or government war-weariness? Quite possibly a minority, but still.

Not sure how much direct influence the 'public' in the Republic has.

Jakiin

• Sorceror of Semantic
  • Wetgraver
« Reply #10 on: 24 Apr 2010, 15:32 »

The government prevented a private organization from engaging in commercial speech for the sole reason that it was classless and would just antagonize people.

Sounds like censorship to me.

I suppose whether this is a sign of censorship or of a lobbyist-run government (Like the Federation is supposed to be) depends on exactly how much pressure the Reconcile group is able to exert.

I reread the article, and if all they indeed did was write a petition then it's probably censorship. I can't help but feel that it's something more than that.

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
« Reply #11 on: 24 Apr 2010, 15:34 »

I think regardless of how much pressure they had to exert, the end result does qualify as censorship.

Now, how much pressure they had to exert does tell us something about how influential lobbying groups are in the Republic.

Havohej

• Friendly Neighborhood Forum Admin
  • Veteran
  • Ex-convict
    • EWF Digital Consulting
« Reply #12 on: 24 Apr 2010, 15:40 »

Just another reason for hardline Minnies like Havo to hate Gallente Federation influence on Republic political structure.

Twitter
This is a forum on steroids tbh. The rate at which content worth reading is being generated could get you pregnant.

Robert Kauliford

• Clonejack
    • Symon's Blog
« Reply #13 on: 25 Apr 2010, 03:50 »

Would love to see a follow up article with Shakor decrying judicial interference in commercial affairs or somesuch. I think this article indicates that the Republic may have a split system with different forces trying to pull it in different directions.

Merdaneth

• Pod Captain
« Reply #14 on: 25 Apr 2010, 05:25 »

Would love to see a follow up article with Shakor decrying judicial interference in commercial affairs or somesuch. I think this article indicates that the Republic may have a split system with different forces trying to pull it in different directions.

Lol.  :lol:

Merdaneth totally read this as a setup by Shakor himself. Allowing a holo about a loyalist defeat by all-Matari ships to be suppressed. There are multiple reason this could be beneficial to him, and no reasons that this would hurt him.

Incidentally, I sort of hesitate to tell you this, since it might spoil your IC interpretation of it. I mean, I prefer you thinking that there are split systems and different forces at work so when tyrant Shakor does strike, it takes your character totally by surprise.  ;)
Pages: [1] 2