Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That there was a total information blockade during the Caldari occupation of Placid, only lifted when the Caldari Navy in the area was destroyed or driven out?

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: All (or more) skin tones for all bloodlines and racial mixing  (Read 4094 times)

Publius Valerius

Jamyl was crowned, which means she's not a member of house sarum, nor would she be affiliated with its house fleet.

You are right, I have mix up a little. So yes of course it is the house colors, and Jamyl has most likely "bodyguards" in the imperial fleet color sheme.
So I have to rewrok my point to.... I like the house colors and have no problem with the House. I have just a problem with the perosn Jamyl  :lol:. Nice point from you, I like it, maybe we need in the forum a politcal-salon in the forum as a place to IC-playing without the IGS :)

Random Sentience

I'm not sure it's been that long enough for such extreme divergences in ethnicity to take place (at least for some ethnicities). Again I'm still processing this info. Thoughts?
10,000 years in New Eden is definitely long enough. The fact that there was a near extinction event (closing of the EVE gate and a rough fight for survival) around that time, makes it even more likely through ye olde "survival of the fittest" kick-starting evolution. If there was any kind of genetic alteration done prior to colonization -almost a necessity, really- time wouldn't even be a consideration.

So yes, very believable in a science fiction setting, and quite a welcome change to EVE for me.  :D

Wasn't able to watch most of the videos, any mention of choosing a different starting location for different races to add in even more diversity? Like a Minmatar graduating from an Amarr capsuleer school? To put it simply, will it be possible to make an Ammatar character?

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV

Wasn't referring to 10,000 years, but just the past few centuries.

You don't have pale-skinned Tamils, for example.

Publius Valerius

I'm not sure it's been that long enough for such extreme divergences in ethnicity to take place (at least for some ethnicities). Again I'm still processing this info. Thoughts?
10,000 years in New Eden is definitely long enough. The fact that there was a near extinction event (closing of the EVE gate and a rough fight for survival) around that time, makes it even more likely through ye olde "survival of the fittest" kick-starting evolution. If there was any kind of genetic alteration done prior to colonization -almost a necessity, really- time wouldn't even be a consideration.

So yes, very believable in a science fiction setting, and quite a welcome change to EVE for me.  :D

Wasn't able to watch most of the videos, any mention of choosing a different starting location for different races to add in even more diversity? Like a Minmatar graduating from an Amarr capsuleer school? To put it simply, will it be possible to make an Ammatar character?

No school change... and I dont know how big the percentage filter is, they said in the vid 40%, so I think they go in "tenner-steper". About a Ammatar character, that would really nice to see some of those, I always thought they were missing.

Shae Tiann

• Sweet little bad girl
  • Egger
    • Sweet Little Bad Girl

However, it's only been 15 minutes, but trying to get my head around for having all skin tones available for all races. They had a white Brutor and...I don't know...throws a complete spanner into the definitions of "ethnicity" into EVE. Vherokior are dark-skinned because they are from deserts, Caldari and Sebiestor are pale because they are from cold regions, Gallente are olive-skinned because they're mixed, and so forth...

Clearly you don't play around with the character creator very much; Sebbies are far more olive-skinned than the Gallente. EVE's definition of ethnicity has far more to do with culture than it does with physical appearance. Unless you're Amarrian ;)

As someone who had only three American Indian ancestors in the last four centuries but has a more golden skin-tone than most European Caucasians, I can say that there's plenty of time for racial blending in EVE's history.

I am so happy to have the option to blend races coming Soon(tm). Despite the range of options in the new character creator, the EVE population was beginning to look very generic again (lacking the culture-specific costume bits didn't really help this, but even the faces were showing less variation than they could do). Pick 12 RL people from the same birthplace and put them in a room together and you'll have more variation than you will in EVE atm.

lallara zhuul

• Now with rainbows and butterflies.
  • Veteran

In a long timeframe there are a few things that affect racial mixing.

One of the major ones is availability of mates in your own racial group.

Other major one is the actual ease of mating with another racial group.

Major things that limit the mixing of different groups is differences in culture and religion is part of the culture, also distance.

In the Empire the culture pretty much prohibits all racial mixing. If there is some, it is an anomaly and treated as such. Anomalies are not treated kindly in societies with black and white morality.

In the Republic the areas where the different tribes were living in seem to be clearly defined, also the customs of each tribe were different. Because of the warrior culture, there had to been some infighting, only the traders would have the possibility of mating peacefully. Raiding your neighbouring tribe for mates would also be a less peaceful option.

In the Federation the Gallenteans are a separate group from the other groups in their empire, which leads me to believe that it is not a composite group of nationalities that have embraced the ideals of their empire, but a clearly defined ethnic group that prides in their history and considers those that do not share it somehow lesser. Then there are the other ethnic groups, that all have their clearly defined cultures that have very little in common in the spiritual realm. Would an Intaki throw away the possibility of becoming one of the Reborn for a beautiful smile? In the Federation there is many liberties, including the sexual, but fucking everything does not mean that you will have children with everything.

Then the Caldari, the most racist and xenophobic culture of them all. Instead of mating with other races they decided to create a generation of test tube babies so that there would be enough mates for procreation within the group without mingling with any others.

It is just my view that mixing tends to occur within certain parameters, and very rarely those parameters are met in New Eden.

Since the Yulai accord there has been real opportunity for mixing, but the mainstream culture of each and every empire would frown upon it. Mainly because all the other cultures are considered to be hostile to your own. Not because they are actively hostile, but mainly because they are different.

Of course there are some theories about the Gallenteans creating the current tribal culture of the Republic to serve the needs of the Federation, but this is not the time or place for that discussion.

\o/ Brekkies \o/

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Bong-cha Jones

• New Jin Mei
  • Egger

Would an Intaki throw away the possibility of becoming one of the Reborn for a beautiful smile?

Yes.

Or, rather, they can easily reject the question in myriad ways. Like:

1)  I don't follow the Ida.
2)  Intaki is a state of mind, not genetics.
3)  The Ida is bigger than the Intaki people.
4)  I wasn't going to be Reborn anyways.
5)  I belong to a sect that encourages finding new paths to walk.
6)  I'm throwing it away for more than a smile.

For starters.
Formerly Simon Coal.

Horatius Caul

• Words words words
  • Omelette

Again, the question of mixed ethnicity is irrelevant as gene-sculpting means our origin doesn't have to match what our clones look like - and all new characters these days are in their first clone from day 1.

Brutors may still be Maori/black, but brutor capsuleers have the luxury of being able to create clones with a broader range of pigmentation.

To suggest that there is no inbreeding simply because the mechanics haven't catered to it before is also a strange argument to make.

Gottii

• A Booty-full Mind
  • Veteran

Meh, this doesnt really excite me, tbh. 

I'm with Shae, I've always thought "bloodlines" in EVE was more about the culture than the exact genetic lineage.  As of now, you can make a vast number of differing skin tones, even for say the Brutor.  Someone who's half-Vhekior, half-Civire genetically but grew up in the State, speaks Caldarian (i said it!), supports the occupation of Caldari Prime, and flies slow, boring, missle and shield-fitted ships is a Civire, not half-Vhekior, half-Civire.  How you act, what you believe and what you do determines your cultural identity more than your DNA, ESPECIALLY in a world when that DNA is subject for manipulation and change.

Im not sure the huge need for "mix-racing", but apparently a lot of people are excited by the options.
« Last Edit: 26 Mar 2012, 11:15 by Gottii »
"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"
― Isaac Asimov

Lyn Farel

Cultural identity may often define more than DNA and physical appearence, but that does not mean the latter define nothing at all.

Shae Tiann

• Sweet little bad girl
  • Egger
    • Sweet Little Bad Girl

Cultural identity may often define more than DNA and physical appearence, but that does not mean the latter define nothing at all.
It means about as much as an American saying they're Irish on St Patrick's Day.
« Last Edit: 26 Mar 2012, 21:52 by Shae Tiann »

lallara zhuul

• Now with rainbows and butterflies.
  • Veteran

Gene-sculpting?

I thought cloned people (a tiny minority in New Eden) were just biomass put into the shape of a person where the most of the bones were replaced by plastic, thus enabling sculpting of the features to anything your heart desires, also choosing the color of the skin on the meat would not be a biggie.

But it does not change the DNA of the clone, if the clone can reproduce, the child will still have features of the parents before any cosmetic alteration. (This is why it is hilarious that people with plastic surgery reproduce and create spawn that have to be altered to look like the family.)

Personally I would believe that any kind of genetic tampering of the capsuleers would be done with extreme caution, because the scientist are not 100% sure what actually keeps a capsuleer from going into mindlock. At least I don't think its 100% genetics, there is 'magic' involved. Mainly because DNA degenerates with time, which would mean that a capsuleer with enough cloning and time would actually lose its capability to be a capsuleer.

Hmmh, an interesting thought.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Lyn Farel

It means about as much as an American saying they're Irish on St Patrick's Day.

No, it means about as much as an American having japanese origins.

American white people and Irish people are basically the same ethnies originally.

To my eyes I find it just weird to be against hybrid "races" to begin with, living in a country where these are quite common (coming from black and white people mating mostly) and I am pretty sure it is the same in the US, and even more probably. It would also go against what defines the very core of the Gallente Federation at least, where a third of the Minmatar people live here daily. Don't tell me they never mate with gallenteans...

Well of course even with the current system we can claim it is the case (after all thats what I do), but if that can be improved I do not see where is the problem, really. I was, though, surprised they had the time to implement something like this, but I am quite pleased they still think about Incarna sometimes.
« Last Edit: 27 Mar 2012, 04:39 by Lyn Farel »

Shae Tiann

• Sweet little bad girl
  • Egger
    • Sweet Little Bad Girl

It would also go against what defines the very core of the Gallente Federation at least, where a third of the Minmatar people live here daily. Don't tell me they never mate with gallenteans...
And if those children are born in the Federation, they are Federation citizens by birth and only Minmatar citizens by dint of genetics, if their parents' tribes will even accept them. If they grow up in a Gallentean environment, they will be far more Gallente than Minmatar.

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind

tl;dr, all we need to be able to properly emulate whatever "origins" we want for our characters (outlaw faction-raised people aside) is the bloodline-blending, and the ability to pick *any* school from any faction (and presumably get the appropriate skills derived from that)?
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.
Pages: 1 [2] 3