Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Boosters are banned because they cause a deadly, incurable brain disease?  Read more here.

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 18

Author Topic: Mass Effect 3 - SPOILERS INSIDE  (Read 30566 times)

Kaldor Mintat

• Egger
Re: Mass Effect 3 - SPOILERS INSIDE
« Reply #120 on: 20 Mar 2012, 09:47 »

Ok this really needs to be posted, its a true gem...

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/105/index/970146/1

scroll down to the 6th post.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
« Reply #121 on: 20 Mar 2012, 10:02 »

Right, I can very vividly imagine that person finishing ME3. The force of the facepalm would launch his/her brains across the room.

Kaldor Mintat

• Egger
« Reply #122 on: 20 Mar 2012, 10:04 »

Yeah, that's the biggest plothole, really. :| why on earth did they make such a big fuss in ME2 about dark energy, from Parasini of Noveria talking about it, to Haestrom, to numerous other hints sprinkled through the game AND DLC? And then not even use it in ME3?

It reeks of some kind of weird executive decision tbh.

Drew something that was the writer for that left Bioware and the gaming industry to focus on his novel writing as i hear.

Caellach Marellus

• CONCORD Poster Boy.
  • Omelette
  • Beware of Geeks bearing GIFs.
    • The Goblin's Cave
« Reply #123 on: 20 Mar 2012, 11:55 »

Actually there IS dark energy references in ME3.

It requires you recruiting the aid of your biggest fan, it's the ultimate completionist reward in the game.
"I blame society for anything I've said that you disagree with."

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #124 on: 20 Mar 2012, 12:08 »

[spoiler]
Published years ago by Dr. Conrad Verner, this doctorial dissertation on xenotechnology is a lengthy but intriguing argument that dark energy causes a minute but empirically observable difference in the passage of time. Hotly debated when first published, the paper's theory is supported by recent data. The dissertation illuminates several instructions left by the Protheans on how to build the Crucible.
[/spoiler]

is in ME3

though, every mass effect thing is something to do with dark energy. Dark energy is the thing that makes element zero do stuff.

So maybe the Reapers were wanting to stop all these civilisations using mass effects, because the dark energy use is causing the universe to slow down and die, or something.

YOU MUST DIE SO THE UNIVERSE CAN LIVE, or something. Hence why "preserving" cultures in Reaper form, and general weirdness that would lend itself to the Reaper Plan being "incomprehensible" to mere individual persons.

because, it is a bit of a difficult thing to grasp, that using biotic powers makes the universe freeze to death or something. People would go "surely my personal use of things isn't significant?" and so on.

I dunno, vOv, I'm not really all that bright tbh.
\o/

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #125 on: 20 Mar 2012, 12:51 »

It requires you recruiting the aid of your biggest fan, it's the ultimate completionist reward in the game.

In other words it is completely unavailable to people who continued an ME1 save to ME2 on PC, because even if you Paragon'd the shit out of Conrad's mission in ME1, it always marks you as having Renegaded it when you import.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #126 on: 20 Mar 2012, 13:00 »

In other words it is completely unavailable to people who continued an ME1 save to ME2 on PC, because even if you Paragon'd the shit out of Conrad's mission in ME1, it always marks you as having Renegaded it when you import.

I was able to talk to Conrad in ME3, using a game progressed from ME1 through ME2, so... ?
\o/

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #127 on: 20 Mar 2012, 13:13 »

When you import an ME1 save into ME2, it marks you as having taken the renegade route with Conrad even if you didn't; hence the "even had a gun shoved in my face by... Commander Shepard!?" line in ME2.

He's not exactly your biggest fan at that point, which would kinda preclude that option, wouldn't it? I know I saw him in ME3 and took the paragon-ish route in that conversation, but I definitely did *not* get any result like that.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #128 on: 20 Mar 2012, 13:17 »

ah,there's 2 ways to meet Conrad, only one of which will get the dissertation.
\o/

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #129 on: 20 Mar 2012, 13:28 »

Yeah, I looked it up. It's odd, because I *know* I completed the requirements for that, so what gives?

I'll have to look at the flags in the save files later and see. Bleh.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #130 on: 20 Mar 2012, 13:35 »

[spoiler]iirc, you meet Conrad when you're involved with a mission to deal with medi-gel dispensers, from a doctor on the refugee section. The doctor talks about 2 things. A person talking about Cerberus, and the sabotaged medigel dispensers.

If you go looking around first, you will see Conrad, and you can talk to him then, this will get you the dissertation.

If you fix the medigel things first, then go back to the doctor, Conrad appears there as well, and then disappears at the end. You cannot then get the dissertation.[/spoiler]
\o/

Lyn Farel

« Reply #131 on: 20 Mar 2012, 16:47 »

[spoiler]
Published years ago by Dr. Conrad Verner, this doctorial dissertation on xenotechnology is a lengthy but intriguing argument that dark energy causes a minute but empirically observable difference in the passage of time. Hotly debated when first published, the paper's theory is supported by recent data. The dissertation illuminates several instructions left by the Protheans on how to build the Crucible.
[/spoiler]

is in ME3

though, every mass effect thing is something to do with dark energy. Dark energy is the thing that makes element zero do stuff.

So maybe the Reapers were wanting to stop all these civilisations using mass effects, because the dark energy use is causing the universe to slow down and die, or something.

YOU MUST DIE SO THE UNIVERSE CAN LIVE, or something. Hence why "preserving" cultures in Reaper form, and general weirdness that would lend itself to the Reaper Plan being "incomprehensible" to mere individual persons.

because, it is a bit of a difficult thing to grasp, that using biotic powers makes the universe freeze to death or something. People would go "surely my personal use of things isn't significant?" and so on.

I really like that idea, tied to the Big Rip / Big Crush (point Omega) and all, and have already thought about it when I got on Haestrom in ME2, but this explanation would have to be strenghtened to get a little less stretched : like, people using biotics accelerating the death of the galaxy ? Huh... A little too stretched for me. :p

But I love the idea.

lallara zhuul

• Now with rainbows and butterflies.
  • Veteran
« Reply #132 on: 20 Mar 2012, 17:11 »

[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

is in ME3

This would be kind of like making comparisons with individuals polluting the Earth and such.

Maybe it was scrapped because it was too controversial.

:eek:

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
« Reply #133 on: 20 Mar 2012, 17:38 »

It wasn't scrapped because that particular stuff was never on the table. What did get scrapped was most likely scrapped because it was leaked beforehand. (Remember the Bioware leak? The work-in-progress script was part of it.) That is the general opinion on why it never made it to the game, anyway.

Caellach Marellus

• CONCORD Poster Boy.
  • Omelette
  • Beware of Geeks bearing GIFs.
    • The Goblin's Cave
« Reply #134 on: 20 Mar 2012, 18:08 »

When you import an ME1 save into ME2, it marks you as having taken the renegade route with Conrad even if you didn't; hence the "even had a gun shoved in my face by... Commander Shepard!?" line in ME2.

He apologises for that if you didn't really do it.
"I blame society for anything I've said that you disagree with."
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 18