Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Elsebeth, of clan Rhiannon, was born on Matar in the heartlands of Mikramurka continent in the year 81? Read her official biography here.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 18

Author Topic: Mass Effect 3 - SPOILERS INSIDE  (Read 30551 times)

Caellach Marellus

• CONCORD Poster Boy.
  • Omelette
  • Beware of Geeks bearing GIFs.
    • The Goblin's Cave
Re: Mass Effect 3 - SPOILERS INSIDE
« Reply #90 on: 17 Mar 2012, 19:52 »

We have different tastes, then. I don't see the problem in a series ending without the protagonist's / protagonists' goal(s) being accomplished, provided that the reasoning behind them not is sound -- and given the godlike intelligences that have wiped out all civilisations to reach a certain level of advancement have done a good job of it thus far...

The Reapers were close to losing the last war, the Protheans managed to hide off in some places and were close to developing a counter weapon. Without the Prothean's time capsule style aid then I'd agree it'd be a very one sided fight, but with the knowledge and the benefit of foresight the current Reaper harvest faces it's biggest challenge.

Still, I don't think I've ever seen a game you can't complete your main story objective (not initial objective as plottwists and swerves often change that to the real driving force of the story)
"I blame society for anything I've said that you disagree with."

GoGo Yubari

• Omelette
« Reply #91 on: 17 Mar 2012, 23:44 »

Having read into the Indoctrination theory now... I must say I like it. I didn't -hate- the ending as it appeared to be, but the Indoctrination option would be an utterly epic way to conclude the series.

Kybernetes Moros

« Reply #92 on: 18 Mar 2012, 05:55 »

This may also be because we do not see the story like some players see it Kyber. I am not sure for you but I have always seen a RPG story like a story involving characters. Even with games ala Bioware where they do whatever they can to make the player feel he is the main protagonist (oh look how its you in control and how awesome you are, blabla). But most players do not see their character as... a character. It becomes quite obvious when you hear them refering to Shepard as "me", "I have done this, this and this", etc.

Possibly; my approach to RPGs like this has always been that Shepard is just another character in a story. One you have a limited degree of control over, yes, but at the end of the day nothing more.

The Reapers were close to losing the last war, the Protheans managed to hide off in some places and were close to developing a counter weapon. Without the Prothean's time capsule style aid then I'd agree it'd be a very one sided fight, but with the knowledge and the benefit of foresight the current Reaper harvest faces it's biggest challenge.

Devil's advocate: the Reapers have had tens of millenia before the races of the next cycle even began to establish themselves, and technology far beyond any other group in the galaxy. Who's to say they haven't forged bits of the past?

Still, I don't think I've ever seen a game you can't complete your main story objective (not initial objective as plottwists and swerves often change that to the real driving force of the story)

In which case I echo what Lyn said. I have absolutely no problem with a game ending with the failure of the main story objective. If you do, cool, but it doesn't reduce the validity of it as a storytelling device.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
« Reply #93 on: 18 Mar 2012, 06:13 »

In which case I echo what Lyn said. I have absolutely no problem with a game ending with the failure of the main story objective. If you do, cool, but it doesn't reduce the validity of it as a storytelling device.

It does call into question the intent behind the whole thing, though. This is a product that's got a gigantic playerbase and choosing to use only a storytelling device that will only be appreciated by a minority is frankly a bit stupid by Bioware. Every last ending turning out to be the same one, when there's so many different kinds of people playing the series needing different kinds of endings to find any kind of closure or reward... well, like I said it's frankly very stupid.

I have nothing against those who like the ending as it is, as long as it's not that arrogant and haughty attitude that 'people just don't get it' or the rest of the implications of inferiority on the part of those who don't like it. (And yes, a lot of the people who do like the ending get very haughty and arrogant about it). Hipsters of the gaming world, almost.

Kaldor Mintat

• Egger
« Reply #94 on: 18 Mar 2012, 06:25 »

Bugs me that the major theme of Me3 was mostly pointless also - the gathering of allies and warassets.

I ended the game with 7000 or so military strenght and an readiness rating of 50%, giving an EMS of around 3500.

Only difference this brings is i do not get the "breath" scene. In fact i can probably ignore most fetch quests and some other things and just get enough to get to the minimum level of 1100? ems and it changes nothing.

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #95 on: 18 Mar 2012, 06:30 »

cure/deceive/do not cure genophage. Implications for future of krogan? if mass relays & associated technology "destroyed", then Tuchanka's ecosystem collapses more, making it all moot, no ?

quarians/geth/co-operative. Implications for future? again, if technologies destroyed, then it is all moot.

state of Earth, moot. Without mass relay for imports, and heavily damaged infrastructure on planet, then population will starve, no ?

Sure, civilisations go on, on the now (relatively) isolated colony worlds, and the various species continue, but as it is, is it not the case that the 3 planets that your actions would have had the most effect on, (Tuchanka, Rannoch, Earth), then ultimately, your actions did not matter, because those planets, are doomed.

Unless synthesis, vOv

danger:large
[spoiler][/spoiler]
\o/

Kaldor Mintat

• Egger
« Last Edit: 18 Mar 2012, 06:54 by Kaldor Mintat »

Lyn Farel

« Reply #97 on: 18 Mar 2012, 06:52 »

I am not sure how the main objectives are not reached anyway.

Bugs me that the major theme of Me3 was mostly pointless also - the gathering of allies and warassets.

Well, compared to the major theme of ME2 where you spend all your time to recruit your team to go to that suicide mission, its in the same vein imo. Though here the story is way more richer to me, I especially loved parts where you finally come to solve the issue between Krogan/genophage, and especially the Rannoch ending.

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #98 on: 18 Mar 2012, 08:31 »

I think it's easy to lose a sense of focus here.

Shepard waking up alive in rubble ONLY by having a full bar of war assets and ONLY by picking the destroy Reapers option needs to be explained.

That's all that matters IMO.

GoGo Yubari

• Omelette
« Reply #99 on: 18 Mar 2012, 16:37 »

Shepard waking up alive in rubble ONLY by having a full bar of war assets and ONLY by picking the destroy Reapers option needs to be explained.

Yeah, I think that is the most compelling piece of evidence for something actually being fishy.

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #100 on: 18 Mar 2012, 16:42 »

C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Mass Effect 3\BIOGame\Movies\End03_Shepard_Alive_Male.bik

file names are suggestive
\o/

GoGo Yubari

• Omelette
« Reply #101 on: 18 Mar 2012, 19:38 »

Oh man. With a possible future DLC, if one or both of the other non-"kill all reapers" endings make you fight an Indoctrinated Shephard with your remaining team members.... sign me up!

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #102 on: 18 Mar 2012, 19:48 »

Oh man. With a possible future DLC, if one or both of the other non-"kill all reapers" endings make you fight an Indoctrinated Shephard with your remaining team members.... sign me up!

I play Vanguard. Guess I'm fucked. :lol:
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Random Sentience

« Reply #103 on: 18 Mar 2012, 22:18 »

It's the only option that leaves room for an epilogue. The other two quite definitely end in the death of Shep.

It requires some sacrifices, sure... but then, Shepard's already sacrificed to become an N7 (lore ftw).

It makes sense to me from that perspective. I just think there needed to be more options. If you've ever seen the movie WarGames... yeah, genocidal thinking machines sometimes need to learn that Tic-Tac-Toe is a no-win scenario. :yar: Also, more polish, more explanation.

Caellach Marellus

• CONCORD Poster Boy.
  • Omelette
  • Beware of Geeks bearing GIFs.
    • The Goblin's Cave
« Reply #104 on: 19 Mar 2012, 06:47 »

Side note. It annoys me that the BF3 Soldier has the most overpowered combine of abilities, they get both Adrenaline Rush AND Carnage. Drop them in with just an Assault Rifle to have low cooldowns and they're a constant slaughterhouse machine.

:bash: Damn you EA
"I blame society for anything I've said that you disagree with."
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 18