Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That Julianus Soter first stated his intention to liberate Federation space on December 4th, Year 111? See the announcement here

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Jak's Musings/Rant on the Morality of New Eden  (Read 4959 times)

Desiderya

Re: Jak's Musings/Rant on the Morality of New Eden
« Reply #30 on: 11 Mar 2012, 12:21 »

Actually the tube children program got discontinued and, according to the small snippet, they weren't living under the nicest circumstances but still ended up as extremely loyal to the State and of course independant.  Apart from the small bloodline description I'm not aware of more PF regarding them. Maybe someone with a broader knowledge of relevant chronicles can chime in?

Wanoah

• Omelette
  • Sweating spinal fluid
    • Hello!
« Reply #31 on: 12 Mar 2012, 13:52 »

My impression is that the original setting allowed plenty of latitude for people to find their niche in any of the empires. Of course, these are vast societies - unimaginably large by today's standards - and obviously you're going to find the whole spectrum of human behaviour and morality in all of them. I think most people understood this from the outset.

OK, the Amarrians were always the most decayed apple in the barrel with the slavery aspect, but it was easy to assume that most people were fairly pragmatic and ordinary despite that. Besides, it's quite easy to reconcile the slavery angle with a normal society because in our own history, the absence of slavery is the anomaly. Our modern western democracies were modelled on the Graeco-Roman societies of antiquity: societies that depended upon slave labour. Most European kingdoms had some kind of slavery present after the collapse of the Roman Empire that persisted through the middle ages as serfdom. Slavery still existed in some nations until comparatively recent times. It's what, 150 years since the US abolished slavery?

In short, it isn't hard for us to imagine a monolithic religious society founded upon slavery. We might not think that's a Good Thing, but we can easily accept it as feasible and not suppose that all of its trillions of inhabitants are the moustache-twirling villains that Lallara mentioned.

The trouble is that four empires that are morally grey and ambiguous make it very hard to tell simplistic stories about baddies and goodies. You reduce trillions of people to a single stereotype and look to elaborate conspiracies for your complicated plot devices. A few hundred pages later, you have left the original setting a much poorer place.
Nothing worth saying is inoffensive to everyone

Blog | Fiction

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
« Reply #32 on: 13 Mar 2012, 02:09 »

Actually the tube children program got discontinued and, according to the small snippet, they weren't living under the nicest circumstances but still ended up as extremely loyal to the State and of course independant.  Apart from the small bloodline description I'm not aware of more PF regarding them. Maybe someone with a broader knowledge of relevant chronicles can chime in?

There was somewhere an expose or something about a very bad creche program. I think there was the implication that there was a range of conditions etc. in the various creches, though.

Remember, even with the Caldari being the least populous, and the tube-child program only being a relatively small portion of their population, there might still be more tube children than there are people alive on earth today. That's a lot of room for variety, no matter how relatively homogeneous those coming from the program were.

Desiderya

« Reply #33 on: 13 Mar 2012, 06:05 »

There was somewhere an expose or something about a very bad creche program. I think there was the implication that there was a range of conditions etc. in the various creches, though.

Remember, even with the Caldari being the least populous, and the tube-child program only being a relatively small portion of their population, there might still be more tube children than there are people alive on earth today. That's a lot of room for variety, no matter how relatively homogeneous those coming from the program were.

I remember a Scope News article that went about (Heth) sponsored creches to give those at the bottom a chance to prove their worth. But that wasn't about tube children, as far as I can remember.

Variety? Absolutely. The bloodline description is very short, superficial and by no means any indicator about how every tube children has to be. The question about their social status is difficult to tackle, though. Assuming that the caldari hold 'the group' ( and not 'the family' ) in very high regard, tube children should not stick out.

Hamish Grayson

« Reply #34 on: 13 Mar 2012, 11:49 »

I think the one Silver is talking about is before FW.   It came a little after the Brothers of Freedom.
Pages: 1 2 [3]