Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

You could create 5,000+ AU Deepsafe spots from the galaxy map before it was removed?

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: what would be useful things for RP ?  (Read 4341 times)

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
what would be useful things for RP ?
« on: 27 Feb 2012, 12:56 »

There's one of CCP's staff that puts out a lot of statistics.

Would it be useful, for there to be a regular issuing of some numbers about missions completed for various corporations ?

E.g. say, every month, CCP put out some numbers that said things like:
Amarr navy, 123456 missions completed, 123456 M isk spent in loyalty store
Ardishapur family, 1234 missions completed, 1234 M isk spent in loyalty store
Carthum Conglomerate, 12345 missions completed, 12345 M isk spent in loyalty store

would that be useful for RP ?

I feel it would be useful, as it is something concrete that many people can point at and say "Yes! I contributed to the glorious expansion of X!" and ofc, critics can say "Behold, the flailing Quafe Corporation, financially bankrupt as well as morally!" and similar.

would it be super cheap for CCP to do ? possibly even automated, on the wiki page or something ?
\o/

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
Re: what would be useful things for RP ?
« Reply #1 on: 27 Feb 2012, 14:56 »

We could start by returning external viewing of other peoples' NPC standings.

Missions counts might be useful as well. Maybe a Navy NPC destroyed count for the 4 nations?
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #2 on: 27 Feb 2012, 15:34 »

CCP Diagoras / John Turbefield takes requests. If we compile a list here, it's easy to just point him at the thread and ask. :)
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Bastian Valoron

• Egger
« Reply #3 on: 27 Feb 2012, 16:40 »

With this system you could prove that someone who claims to be Quafe aligned is lying. I'm not sure if I like the idea. For many, running missions is not the greatest activity you can do in EVE and this kind of public data would force you to either stay away from loyalist RP or bore yourself endlessly with a mechanic that does not appeal to you. The old standings system at least required you to do the grind only once.

I do like the idea of having an indisputable loyalism apparatus in the game, I just wouldn't like it to be bundled with a certain kind of game mechanic (missions, mining, industry, combat).
« Last Edit: 27 Feb 2012, 16:43 by Bastian Valoron »

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #4 on: 27 Feb 2012, 17:02 »

With this system you could prove that someone who claims to be Quafe aligned is lying. I'm not sure if I like the idea. For many, running missions is not the greatest activity you can do in EVE and this kind of public data would force you to either stay away from loyalist RP or bore yourself endlessly with a mechanic that does not appeal to you. The old standings system at least required you to do the grind only once.

I do like the idea of having an indisputable loyalism apparatus in the game, I just wouldn't like it to be bundled with a certain kind of game mechanic (missions, mining, industry, combat).

I'm not understanding what you are saying here ?

I was thinking more along the lines of:
"Kador Region Economic Activity: Amount of trade increased 1% from last month. Kador Family remains most popular contractor for pilots. Amarr Constructions drops to third place"

And people can say "I contributed to these developments" while others can talk about other things.
\o/

Victoria Stecker

• Pod Captain
« Reply #5 on: 27 Feb 2012, 17:46 »

I think that sort of info would be fun. I think making player standings with factions, corps, etc public again would be meh.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #6 on: 27 Feb 2012, 22:05 »

They'd have to be -very- careful with specifics because with the amount of repetitive missions being farmed it throws believability out the window very fast.  That damsel has been rescued now about 100,000 times.

Bastian Valoron

• Egger
« Reply #7 on: 28 Feb 2012, 02:29 »

I'm not understanding what you are saying here ?

I was thinking more along the lines of:
"Kador Region Economic Activity: Amount of trade increased 1% from last month. Kador Family remains most popular contractor for pilots. Amarr Constructions drops to third place"

And people can say "I contributed to these developments" while others can talk about other things.
I was thinking something like the following discussion
Sarpati93 > "I'm a serpentis supporter. Serps are a successful power bloc in New Eden."
Statistics > "No serpentis missions have been run within last six months and there's no indication of economic activity around Serpentis prime."

But maybe no one would use the statistics like this. Can't deny that a few economic figures might be a good way to allow players to have influence on the game world.

Bataav

• Egger
    • Intaki Liberation Front
« Reply #8 on: 28 Feb 2012, 06:49 »

I was thinking something like the following discussion
Sarpati93 > "I'm a serpentis supporter. Serps are a successful power bloc in New Eden."
Statistics > "No serpentis missions have been run within last six months and there's no indication of economic activity around Serpentis prime."

But maybe no one would use the statistics like this.

They would. I've seen it happen.

There was an occassion, after a lot of back and forth arguing on the IGS, where the suggestion was made that a highsec constellation in Sinq Laison was plagued by a greater threat from Serpentis piracy than lowsec Placid.

This was supported by NPC kill statistics from Dotlan which OOC was obviously just a reflection of hisec missioning close to one of the major trade hubs and contradicted both the canon / IC setting and in-pod realities of what's actually encountered on system gates and in asteroid belts in the two locations  :roll:
#FreeIntaki | #IntakiPride

Desiderya

« Reply #9 on: 28 Feb 2012, 09:15 »

Missions are a terrible way of gauging 'factional success'. While the losses for the navies are horrible on a daily basis, the losses for the (smaller) pirate factions wouldn't be embarassing but outright devastating. Statistics from Incursions and missions/complexes/anomalies would lead to horrible unusable numbers for RP purposes.
Standings, however, or the number of completed missions - one could at least pretend that not every mission involves frying 20-40 rats - would be more suitable.

Rodj Blake

• Egger
  • Amarr Victor Meldrew
« Reply #10 on: 28 Feb 2012, 09:46 »

We could start by returning external viewing of other peoples' NPC standings.

Seconded.

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #11 on: 28 Feb 2012, 12:11 »

To clarify: I've never seen anyone use the NPC standings as a negative proof, i.e. "you aren't a...". I've only ever seen it used as positive proof, i.e. "I am a .... , see, look at my standings." I think most RPers understand that not everyone wants to grind up high standings with a given corp/faction, though if others have experienced it I understand your apprehension.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #12 on: 28 Feb 2012, 12:38 »

True loyalty has - almost - nothing to do with mission farming. Any NPC faction/corporation liking/disliking someone is just a proof that they actually like/dislike him/her, but not that he/she is devoted to that faction.

kalaratiri

• Kalalalaakiota
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
  • Shes mad but shes magic, theres no lie in her fire
« Reply #13 on: 28 Feb 2012, 12:51 »

8.13 with Khanid Innovation, being my case in point  :oops: (totally Morwen's fault)

"Eve roleplayers scare me." - The Mittani

Publius Valerius

« Reply #14 on: 28 Feb 2012, 12:57 »

True loyalty has - almost - nothing to do with mission farming. Any NPC faction/corporation liking/disliking someone is just a proof that they actually like/dislike him/her, but not that he/she is devoted to that faction.

Sure, Sure, but their is a tool for RP to play around... let me explain what I mean..

My idea would be, that we can choose five standings and add this five standings as public. This Standigs can be Faction standings or Corp standing; postiv or negativ. For example a RP how is proud that he has a -9,99 with the Republic can make it public plus 4 others.... even Agents if he like....

This five standings get updated ever 24 hour (doring downtime)... why just 24 hour?
Because I can already see, the Forums comments "WTF fix lag and dont add lags, this shitty RP... and their etc... CCP add them out because we as players had look to much on them, and this was a to much CPU for CCP for a feature which had for them (CCP) no value....
So if we had all change doing Downtime, we havent this problem. And more important: It isnt a issue were one group of players can easy be rush on another group. I know... It is just such a juicy move to get problems out the way, to be more precisely to send problems to the future.

The same counts for changes on this 5 Standigs every 24 hour (downtime). If you like to change one or all of this 5 stanings you can do this, but just every 24 hours.

« Last Edit: 28 Feb 2012, 17:57 by Publius Valerius »
Pages: [1] 2 3