Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That not all slaves are subjected to the Vitoc treatment?  Read more about the Vitoc method here.

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: [DUST] Infantry Weapons  (Read 5213 times)

Jev North

Re: [DUST] Infantry Weapons
« Reply #30 on: 19 Feb 2012, 04:29 »

Yeah - seems they intended everything but the oversized-pistol bit up front to be "recoil absorbing pneumatic armature" that straps to your arm. Of course, given the geometry of the thing, that it's supposedly strapped to your lower arm, and where the trigger is, I can't really see how it would not pulp your wrist and arm when fired.

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
  • The untraditional traditionalist
« Reply #31 on: 19 Feb 2012, 05:02 »

As a plasma weapon I'm assuming it fires bolts of super-heated gas (Plasma :P) at the enemy at short ranges.

Ergo, it has no recoil and should therefore be as safe to fire as anything you don't point at yourself...

hellgremlin

• Pathological liar, do not believe
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #32 on: 19 Feb 2012, 09:24 »

Looking at these, has anyone ever felt that the choice of weapons in Eve is rather boring? Why don't we have giant plasma shotguns for our ships :|

I wish they'd add more weapon types.

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #33 on: 19 Feb 2012, 09:49 »

Multiple bolts of super-heated gas at the enemy at a short range in a wide spread no less.

kalaratiri

• Kalalalaakiota
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
  • Shes mad but shes magic, theres no lie in her fire
« Reply #34 on: 19 Feb 2012, 10:18 »

Multiple bolts of super-heated gas at the enemy at a short range in a wide spread no less.

Directional, longer ranged, smartbombs? 15km directly in front of the ship at a 20 degree angle. Requires some actual player skill to aim properly  :D

"Eve roleplayers scare me." - The Mittani

Ulphus

• Bitter dried flower
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #35 on: 19 Feb 2012, 19:36 »

As a plasma weapon I'm assuming it fires bolts of super-heated gas (Plasma :P) at the enemy at short ranges.

Ergo, it has no recoil and should therefore be as safe to fire as anything you don't point at yourself...

Firing superheated-gas at high speed will generate recoil just fine. Currently existing Explosively Forged Projectile mines fire vaporised copper in a stream that will penetrate stupid amounts of armour. That vaporised copper is also known as plasma. :)

Not really sure how much recoil though. Lots of variables.

Adult to 4y.o "Your shoes are on the wrong feet"
Long pause
4y.o to adult, in plaintive voice "I don't have any other feet!"

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #36 on: 19 Feb 2012, 21:48 »

Firing superheated-gas at high speed will generate recoil just fine. Currently existing Explosively Forged Projectile mines fire vaporised copper in a stream that will penetrate stupid amounts of armour. That vaporised copper is also known as plasma. :)

Not really sure how much recoil though. Lots of variables.

Depends mostly on the efficiency of the mechanism used to fire the weapon, I'd think? I'm not 100% on my physics, but one of the reasons current weapons have so much recoil is that the superheated gasses resulting from the detonation expand in all directions at once, so a lot of the force is more or less wasted (or, alternately, put to use cycling the weapon in automatic designs - though this still uses a fraction of the force generated). If you could get a more efficient system of accelerating your projectile - like, say, magnetic rails - the only "recoil" generated would be true recoil, i.e., the newtonian "equal and opposite reaction" to the force of the shot being thrown outward.

After that, it'd just be a matter of how fast and how much mass you're throwing out.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Alain Kinsella

• The Planet Miner
  • Clonejack
    • The Kind Healer
« Reply #37 on: 20 Feb 2012, 00:40 »

The knife reminds me more of some Kzinti weapon descriptions, or perhaps the ones in Warhammer 40K, circa 1990s (in function/shape, not size  :lol:).

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #38 on: 20 Feb 2012, 01:49 »

The knife reminds me more of some Kzinti weapon descriptions, or perhaps the ones in Warhammer 40K, circa 1990s (in function/shape, not size  :lol:).

Variable-swords ftw.

Just finally got around to finishing Revenge of the Patriarch last week, actually. After having had it for like, 12 or so years. >_>
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Ulphus

• Bitter dried flower
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #39 on: 20 Feb 2012, 13:08 »

Depends mostly on the efficiency of the mechanism used to fire the weapon, I'd think? I'm not 100% on my physics, but one of the reasons current weapons have so much recoil is that the superheated gasses resulting from the detonation expand in all directions at once, so a lot of the force is more or less wasted (or, alternately, put to use cycling the weapon in automatic designs - though this still uses a fraction of the force generated). If you could get a more efficient system of accelerating your projectile - like, say, magnetic rails - the only "recoil" generated would be true recoil, i.e., the newtonian "equal and opposite reaction" to the force of the shot being thrown outward.

After that, it'd just be a matter of how fast and how much mass you're throwing out.

Esna, it depends what you mean by efficiency. If you get all the plasma headed in the same direction, then you'd increase the recoil. Current recoiless weapons usually achieve that by sending hot gasses backwards to counteract the projectile going forwards.

The mass of the weapon can affect the amount of recoil the user feels from the weapon, but essentially you are correct that it's all dependent on the velocity and mass of whatever you're sending forwards.

Adult to 4y.o "Your shoes are on the wrong feet"
Long pause
4y.o to adult, in plaintive voice "I don't have any other feet!"
Pages: 1 2 [3]