Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

that Daedalus X pulled off a Capital ship heist in a level two wormhole. read more here

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: [Dust 514] (Beta sign up) Mordu's Private Trials  (Read 6019 times)

lallara zhuul

• Now with rainbows and butterflies.
  • Veteran
Re: [Dust 514] (Beta sign up) Mordu's Private Trials
« Reply #15 on: 04 Jan 2012, 16:56 »

Why Mordu's?

How many merc outfits do you have in the canon?

That's right, just Mordu's.

All the other factions are criminals in one way or another.

It's not brain surgery.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Senn Typhos

• Pod Captain
  • Strong, Silent Type
« Reply #16 on: 04 Jan 2012, 18:04 »

They're also the worst mercs in the galaxy.

CCP could have designed a new canon company to produce soldiers. Or one of the Caldari mega police forces, since they're basically mercs. The fact that it's Mordu's is kinda upsetting, considering nothing's been done or said about that group in forever and suddenly they're at the forefront of DUST.
An important reminder for Placid RPers

One day they woke me up
So I could live forever
It's such a shame the same
Will never happen to you

Caellach Marellus

• CONCORD Poster Boy.
  • Omelette
  • Beware of Geeks bearing GIFs.
    • The Goblin's Cave
« Reply #17 on: 04 Jan 2012, 18:45 »

Considering the bounties on them, so are Mordus.
"I blame society for anything I've said that you disagree with."

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran
« Reply #18 on: 04 Jan 2012, 19:04 »

Canonically, no. Canonically, they're pretty damned good.

It's just that ...

... nothing's been done or said about that group in forever ...

Which is true, mostly, except for their supposed role in the Intaki system. Which means that the fact that ...

... suddenly they're at the forefront of DUST.

... is precisely what the canonical autodoc ordered. They get to be nifty for once, in the area where their history suggests they should excel: ground combat.

Lovely.

Nmaro Makari

• Nemo
  • Pod Captain
  • SHARKBAIT-HOOHAHA!
« Reply #19 on: 04 Jan 2012, 19:15 »

CCP could have designed a new canon company to produce soldiers. Or one of the Caldari mega police forces, since they're basically mercs. The fact that it's Mordu's is kinda upsetting, considering nothing's been done or said about that group in forever and suddenly they're at the forefront of DUST.

Its just begs a question... why?

I mean why just leave them mouldering on the sidelines when a perfect plot comes up for their niche?

Sometimes it beggars beleif why some people didnt even think of Mordu's when thinking about the pf for Dust.
The very model of a British Minmatarian

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #20 on: 04 Jan 2012, 19:41 »

[unrelatedRPnitpick]

The eight Caldari security forces are not really mercs or PMCs at all. They don't accept contracts from clients, and are seemingly treated to the same standing as sovereign military. They protect corporate territory but are not "guns for hire"

[/unrelatedRPnitpick]

Senn Typhos

• Pod Captain
  • Strong, Silent Type
« Reply #21 on: 04 Jan 2012, 20:30 »

Canonically, no. Canonically, they're pretty damned good.

It's just that ...

Which is true, mostly, except for their supposed role in the Intaki system. Which means that the fact that ...

... suddenly they're at the forefront of DUST.

... is precisely what the canonical autodoc ordered. They get to be nifty for once, in the area where their history suggests they should excel: ground combat.

Lovely.

Wulp, that pretty much sums things up.
An important reminder for Placid RPers

One day they woke me up
So I could live forever
It's such a shame the same
Will never happen to you

Myyona

• Spilling beans
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #22 on: 05 Jan 2012, 01:37 »

I have a pretty good feeling Intaki will be a rookie planet or at least a place were DUST marines can fight for the NPC factions.
EVE Online Lorebook at eve-inspiracy.com

Mithfindel

• (a.k.a. Axel Kurki)
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #23 on: 05 Jan 2012, 02:57 »

[unrelatedRPnitpick]

The eight Caldari security forces are not really mercs or PMCs at all. They don't accept contracts from clients, and are seemingly treated to the same standing as sovereign military. They protect corporate territory but are not "guns for hire"

[/unrelatedRPnitpick]

Incorrect. Many independent corporations hire the Corporate Police Force (Hyasyoda) for security contracts. Though I'd assume that due to the corpsec background of having steady contracts to the parent, the big-eight security can be very selective on the contracts they accept.

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #24 on: 05 Jan 2012, 05:13 »

Mm, they don't exactly sound like Blackwater though, but I guess there isn't enough information to whether, say, local Gallente governments could contract them. But either way, certainly not guns for hire in the independent sense. Still the police and security arm for their megacorp, created purely for that purpose

Jev North

« Reply #25 on: 05 Jan 2012, 07:17 »

Strikes me that you want someone to take care of some belt rats in Caldari hi-sec, or club some vagrants out of your corner of the station, you'd call the CPF. You want to knock out some kind of crime kingpin and the last place anyone's seen her is somewhere in Tranquility, Curse.. some Mordus Headhunters might be a better bet.

Vieve

• Unreliable Narrator
  • Omelette
  • The Dark Powers Are Always Happy To Help
« Reply #26 on: 06 Jan 2012, 11:38 »

Will make up some fiction for Seri having some cloning failure and can only be preserved by becoming a DUSTie or something. So then he can make edgy/gritty statements like "I never asked for this" etc.

Long lost identical twin ?

or alternatively: in the empyrean age, there was that guy that was reanimated without memories. FDU black ops shenaniganery.

Then FDU Luminaire General Inhonores can meet Marine Captain Inhonores and they can say to each other. "You're a handsome man, bro"

\o/

Marine Captain: "Yeah, I was part of this Duvolle Shadowworks project that got killed by the Eagles. Don't know much about what was going on, other than the bloody obvious.  Listen ... can I buy you a drink?"

Hamish Grayson

« Reply #27 on: 24 Jan 2012, 20:36 »

[unrelatedRPnitpick]

[/unrelatedRPnitpick]

Accept they do accept contracts, just not from rivals.

Gottii

• A Booty-full Mind
  • Veteran
« Reply #28 on: 27 Jan 2012, 13:41 »

Why Mordu's?

How many merc outfits do you have in the canon?

That's right, just Mordu's.

It's not brain surgery.

I actually found reference to other merc companies within in-game items.

item: Large group of Hooded Men

Unlike most pro-Minmatar mercenary companies, members of The Hooded Men come from every empire and any background; they are selected for their convictions and skills rather than any sense of patriotism they might possess. Even Amarr are permitted to join, provided they can prove that the company means more to them than their religion. The Hooded Men’s founder, Jolmiar Maritak, the grandson of former slaves who fled to the Gallente Federation, places emphasis on getting their work done quietly and with a minimum of fuss.
"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"
― Isaac Asimov

Bacchanalian

• Omelette
« Reply #29 on: 29 Jan 2012, 02:42 »

Signed up!  Now to figure out how to move my computer into my living room with my PS3 because I hate hate hate playing games without being on TS with people, it feels even more anti-social than playing games to begin with.
Pages: 1 [2] 3