Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

As part of its political goal to make the State stronger economically, Lai Dai is the primary supporter of the School of Applied Knowledge. Check out more here!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Gaming Together / Inspiracy Servers  (Read 3483 times)

Graelyn

• Ye Olde One
  • Veteran
  • These things just seem to happen...
Re: Gaming Together / Inspiracy Servers
« Reply #15 on: 02 Jan 2012, 08:16 »

I still play the hell out of Project Reality, especially now that the shininess has worn off of BF3, and the good players are coming back.

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!

Desiderya

« Reply #16 on: 02 Jan 2012, 09:55 »

Reminds me I should play some PR again, too.

@TF2:
I don't share the sentiment that it's  got
Quote from: Mizhara
Next to no precision, real tactics or skill involved.

You will notice one hell of a difference between skilled and unskilled gamers. You will see that a well balanced and cooperating team has an insane impact on how you'll be able to breach defensive positions and score points. About the precision: You're not going to headshot people, deagle style, but there's lots of movement and precise shooting to be had. Sniper comes to mind, Scout is one hell of an effective class if you're able to keep moving and hit your (moving) target point blank.

Since it features classes there's some "balanced unbalance" to be had. While it is not rock, paper, scissors you'll have some advantages or disadvantages regarding the matchup. Also some classes are harder to get into than others.

The main issue that comes around is that you'll have the "public server" effect, which means that team-communication is something that happens not very often. This depends massively on the servers you're playing on. On many servers I'll be able to 'get to the top' on a regular basis, whereas on others ( tje EU lethal zone, for example ) have a much more skilled server community where I'll get my ass handed to me on a regular basis, too.  :D

kalaratiri

• Kalalalaakiota
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
  • Shes mad but shes magic, theres no lie in her fire
« Reply #17 on: 02 Jan 2012, 10:15 »

Let's see, some other fine co-op titles that come to mind are Borderlands, Magicka, Trine (2), and Portal 2...  Not free and not really the sort that would require dedicated servers, but I wonder what the interest level is around here for those games and others like them.

I would totally be up for a Trine co-op thing. Love that game ♥

"Eve roleplayers scare me." - The Mittani

Victoria Stecker

• Pod Captain
« Reply #18 on: 02 Jan 2012, 10:20 »

There's a strong chance I'm just seeing things and being a bitter gamer, but, the alpha footage of Brink was amazing. It was a dark, gritty, excellent graphics, a new style of gameplay. What was released is just... it's TF2 with a semi-functioning freerun system.

I don't really see anything from the alpha footage that's not in the final game. The movement system is intact, though it takes more than just looking where you want to go - you've got a jump and a crouch/slide button rather than just looking up and down, which probably puts a bit less strain on the game during multiplayer. The game still looks pretty good with the graphics cranked up, I certainly don't have any complaints there (was playing against a friend and repeatedly picked him out of a crowd to kill because of the red mask he was wearing).

I guess my impression is that they put in the movement system but don't force you to use it. If you want to run around like it's an ordinary shooter, you can. There's just a lot of places you won't be able to get to.

edit: did someone already mention borderlands? Not quite as fun as old D2 lans, but still pretty sweet imo.
« Last Edit: 02 Jan 2012, 10:24 by Victoria Stecker »

Arnulf Ogunkoya

• Moral Compass (apparently)
  • Pod Captain
    • Livejournal profile
« Reply #19 on: 02 Jan 2012, 11:04 »

So. Glancing at my currently installed stuff form games that aren't limited to 4 person co-op.

Had Global Agenda for a while. Haven't played it much lately but that's more a time issue than any dislike for it. I am really looking forward to Tribes: Ascend though and have signed up for the beta.

That only leaves Killing Floor for me. It's not a very complex game, but is very tricky once the difficulty is turned up. It's worth it for the howlingly funny Cock-er-nee geezer voice acting though.

Oh and Borderlands on single player is my favoured way to blow off some aggression (on some hapless beasties, bandits & Crimson Lance types).
Kind Regards,
Arnulf Ogunkoya.

Sofia Roseburn

• Does this look like the face of mercy?
  • Egger
« Reply #20 on: 02 Jan 2012, 11:09 »

I pre-ordered Global Agenda. Feels bad man.

I'm pretty sure I've got the majority of the games people are talking about bar BF3 (and even then welp nVidia drivers. Video games are fun.

I'd definitely be up for a 4 man Borderlands run through though. I need some Brick.

Myrhial Arkenath

• Omelette
  • One does not simply walk into Curse.
    • Diary of a Pod Pilot
« Reply #21 on: 02 Jan 2012, 13:45 »

Frankly, TF2 is horribad. Next to no precision, real tactics or skill involved. It's a 'casual' shooter at best.

That makes it perfect for something to do on the side when not playing EVE. I actually like how casual it is. I'd like to get into more serious shooters at some point, and I'm taking recommendations, but for now this is well enough a playground for me. Maybe we can have another shooter server hosted for people who like some more serious fun?

CEO of Ghost Festival :: Executor of Naraka.
Diary of a Pod Pilot

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
« Reply #22 on: 02 Jan 2012, 14:32 »

I adding a tally to the OP with links to most of the titles we've been discussing for anyone who is unfamiliar with them.  What are your thoughts on long-term multiplayer 4X games like Gal Civ or Sins of a Solar Empire?  In addition to those two, I believe Armada 2526 has LAN and play-by-email support based around a turn-based simultaneous orders system.  And there's also the exceedingly arcane (but potentially awesome with enough players in a long-term game) Space Empires series.

Edit: I've tinkered around a bit with Space Empires V for several years, and bearing in mind how moddable it is I think we could put together a pretty slick EVE-esque 4X romp.  I'm imagining an RP-driven customized universe of human factions all vying for galactic dominance.  Shifting alliances, espionage, great wars among the stars.  Hmm...  Not a fast-action sort of thing or really much of a divergence from the general EVE experience, but possibly great fun.
« Last Edit: 02 Jan 2012, 14:39 by Ken »

Valdezi

• Pod Captain
    • Stories by me
« Reply #23 on: 02 Jan 2012, 15:00 »

My brother and I play a bunch of Trine 2 co-op atm. If anyone with whom I am friends on steam wants to join, feel free! Otherwise feel free to add me: winterkilled.

Misan

• Shady Thukker & Ninja Admin
  • Pod Captain
    • Serious Thukking Business - Blog
« Reply #24 on: 02 Jan 2012, 20:34 »

Brink is still a solid FPS, the problem at launch with it was it simply had some stupidly persistent bugs that SD took forever to fix. Combine that with a couple maps that with bad team balance would get the attackers spawn camped in hard there was some serious attrition in player numbers. I literally had to stop playing it because there were maybe 1-2 US servers with decent pings, if even. The DLC that came out fixed most of the issues with balance, but by then it was a little too late.

The movement system worked really well as far as I'm concerned, it opened up a lot of routes to those players who would try to use them. The problem was most people just played it like any other shooter and didn't really take advantage of them.

I don't mind TF2 now, but I'd much prefer playing BF3 with a good 4 man squad. BF3 already has several "EVE" servers that different groups have hosted, FHC, PL, and some Veto/Omerta people have servers up.

I would totally be up for some L4D2 or Borderlands, maybe even Dead Island. Magicka too.
EVE Blog and Project Status: on hold -- busy being Thukker-esque IRL.
Twitter
What I'm busy with, if you're curious.

Akrasjel Lanate

• Omelette
« Reply #25 on: 03 Jan 2012, 03:46 »

I pre-ordered Global Agenda. Feels bad man.

I'm pretty sure I've got the majority of the games people are talking about bar BF3 (and even then welp nVidia drivers. Video games are fun.

I'd definitely be up for a 4 man Borderlands run through though. I need some Brick.

Warning Global Agenda chat(the stuff they talk in it) is bad really bad.

Sofia Roseburn

• Does this look like the face of mercy?
  • Egger
« Reply #26 on: 03 Jan 2012, 04:22 »

Warning Global Agenda chat(the stuff they talk in it) is bad really bad.

Modding FHC gives me a large amount of ignorance to bad.

Graelyn

• Ye Olde One
  • Veteran
  • These things just seem to happen...
« Reply #27 on: 03 Jan 2012, 04:39 »

Ken, that would be too awesome to happen.

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!
Pages: 1 [2]