Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Vitoc is the antidote to a deadly toxin, not the poison itself?  For more information see Vitoc.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: [Chronicle] Breathing Space  (Read 3434 times)

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
[Chronicle] Breathing Space
« on: 15 Dec 2011, 08:35 »

In the final Crucible-related chronicle, CCP Dropbear presents to us a man who is fascinated by information, and busy with parsing new data on strange and mysterious sites, when suddenly he receives an unexpected offer.

\o/ Dropbear chron!
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Alain Colcer

• Pod Captain
Re: [Chronicle] Breathing Space
« Reply #1 on: 15 Dec 2011, 09:44 »

hehehe nice to see the Arek'Jaalan project taking place in chrons too

Ghost Hunter

• Sansha's True Citizen ; TS-F Overseer
  • The Mods
  • Veteran
  • True Power without limit!
« Reply #2 on: 15 Dec 2011, 11:35 »

“I hope we can trust you with these specifics, Mister Tukoss. This information was so well protected that for all we know there are less than ten people in the entire cluster who are aware of it. We’re telling you in the hopes that you’ll act on it in a specific way, and not in any other form. One could get obscenely rich from this information, for example.”

not any more~

Although I am speculative as to why Sleeper tech in specific was needed for this subset of T2 mods
Ghost > So yes, she was Ghost's husband-
Ashar > So Ghost was a gay Caldari and she went through tranny surgery
Ghost > Wait what?
Ashar > Ghosts husband.
Ghost > No she was - Oh god damnit.

He ate all of them
We Form Moderation
For Nation

Myyona

• Spilling beans
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #3 on: 15 Dec 2011, 12:02 »

If less than ten people in the cluster knows about it how come suddenly all capsuleer do? :|

I am confused why Dropbear feeds us pure inaccessible OOC knowledge that cannot be converted from OOC to IC even though that is one of the goals of A'J.
EVE Online Lorebook at eve-inspiracy.com

Akrasjel Lanate

• Omelette
« Reply #4 on: 15 Dec 2011, 12:04 »

If less than ten people in the cluster knows about it how come suddenly all capsuleer do? :|

We know that but our characters DON'T.

Helen Ohmiras

« Reply #5 on: 15 Dec 2011, 13:17 »

There is enough information there to verify specific theories, nothing more, nothing less.

It's not as big a conspiracy as you might think at first glance.  :yar:

Mithfindel

• (a.k.a. Axel Kurki)
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #6 on: 15 Dec 2011, 13:26 »

Yes, it works exactly like that. (In before people on IGS are able to quote the private conversation between Tukoss and the senator there.)

Matariki Rain

• Sweet, gentle Mata
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #7 on: 15 Dec 2011, 14:46 »

As I mentioned in the discussion thread, it's nice to have confirmation of a tribal language and I'd love to know more about the language ecology of the Republic.

[...] the conversations of a hundred people all tracked in a digital language he understood more intuitively than his native Vherokior.

I also want to know more about this digital language. Currently spinning theories about it being effectively the auto-translated intermediary lingua franca of podders.

Edited to add: Unless he's just watching the heat-map of the data flow. *sigh*
« Last Edit: 15 Dec 2011, 14:50 by Matariki Rain »

Myyona

• Spilling beans
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #8 on: 15 Dec 2011, 14:47 »

Yes, that is the issue the second sentence of my post refers to. ;)

I will be more clear in the future.
EVE Online Lorebook at eve-inspiracy.com

Publius Valerius

« Reply #9 on: 15 Dec 2011, 14:53 »

hehehe nice to see the Arek'Jaalan project taking place in chrons too

I totally agree... I was really missing the  Chronicles (I mean to get new material, I know it sounds like a junkie :P) and now three new ones....

Ghost Hunter

• Sansha's True Citizen ; TS-F Overseer
  • The Mods
  • Veteran
  • True Power without limit!
« Reply #10 on: 15 Dec 2011, 14:54 »

The root issue is that this knowledge will affect how people involved in the items discussed will think about them. Rather than simply consider them T2 items released in much the same manner other T2 items are released, there is now the 'taint' of knowing they're actually Sleeper influenced.

So now the struggle comes down to continuing to do action without allowing the taint of the Sleeper knowledge affect how your character would operate. You are actively denying yourself, essentially. And then people make miraculous discoveries out of no where to explain how their character found out the knowledge, etc.

The choice of wording was poor, I think. All that really ends up happening is a hammer banging on the wall and the not so secret anymore knowledge proliferating when it shouldn't.
Ghost > So yes, she was Ghost's husband-
Ashar > So Ghost was a gay Caldari and she went through tranny surgery
Ghost > Wait what?
Ashar > Ghosts husband.
Ghost > No she was - Oh god damnit.

He ate all of them
We Form Moderation
For Nation

Hamish Grayson

« Reply #11 on: 15 Dec 2011, 17:49 »

That the empires had a secret deal to split sleeper tech and that a Federal senator shared that with Tukoss is not available to us.   That the tech two items come from sleeper tech is.  We already know that the COSMOS modules that use ancient tech were prototypes for their t2 versions. 

Also any toon with the sleeper tech skill book, the ability to produce t3 and invent the new modules should be able to see the influence of the sleepers. 

Why the empires would go to the trouble to pretend they are in an arms race I don't get.
« Last Edit: 15 Dec 2011, 18:03 by Hamish Grayson »

Kybernetes Moros

« Reply #12 on: 16 Dec 2011, 07:19 »

I enjoyed the chronicle's playing about with the Vitrauze Agreement; I've known a few characters, my own included, to wonder about the items the empires readily take off capsuleers' hands, so to see them come into play a bit was nice.

I'm not so fond of the strictly OOC knowledge, though: Arek'Jaalan and things of similar nature always seem to have at least one or two people who give their characters knowledge that they, by rights, shouldn't have, be it for the simple sake of making a special snowflake or (I want to say more commonly) because they're unaware of it being knowledge that no freelance capsuleer would feasibly have or just want to get the storyline moving a bit.

It's not something to be readily justified, either; these T2 modules don't need any Sleeper parts, and to say that their influence would be clear doesn't make sense. Development spurred by a breakthrough of understanding doesn't immediately make the origin of that understanding clear. I'd rather this information become IC knowledge for the above (and my general distaste for trying to feign ignorance of something that Kyber doesn't know while I'm fully aware of it), but que será será.

The chronicle as a whole was a good read, though.

Helen Ohmiras

« Reply #13 on: 16 Dec 2011, 10:46 »

The more I think about the chronicle, and look at my own plans in the game, I have a huge problem with the chronicle as someone who is participating in the Arek'jaalan project. My problem is this:

When you start a project with the intent of getting in-character answers, and then a chronicle comes along giving cryptic hints (as opposed to something happening in-game), those who actually put effort into looking for said answers then feel like they've been slapped in the face. Or to put it more accurately, I feel like I've been slapped in the face.

I'm perfectly fine with a meta story going on that my character can't interact with. When it interferes with things I've been planning - as in, throwing a huge wrench into any legitimate query because now everyone will say "Wow, you got that from the chronicle, way to meta game," - well, yeah. It's kind of disheartening and makes me kind of want to stop participating. It honestly does point in some interesting directions, but as someone who was already looking in that direction, I now feel like I'm being talked down to.

It was a good read though.

Nmaro Makari

• Nemo
  • Pod Captain
  • SHARKBAIT-HOOHAHA!
« Reply #14 on: 16 Dec 2011, 11:31 »

OOC knowlege.

Your character doesnt know it

But you do.

You cannot simply ignore it unless you have powers of ubersurpression.

You still know. It WILL influence your decision making.

Simple as.
The very model of a British Minmatarian
Pages: [1] 2