Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That the Intaki Liberation Front used local civilian employees in its orbital production facility known as Prosperity Station? Read more about it here

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Brainstorming: Racial Small Arms  (Read 7724 times)

Altarr Orkot

• Clonejack
Re: Brainstorming: Racial Small Arms
« Reply #45 on: 25 Dec 2011, 04:22 »

I will be looking into my copy of TBL to see if there is any mention of this. If you know what specific part of the book it was in, it would help.

This sounds like something that probably arose during the Sansha segment, and it is rather misleading as a general cybernetic policy.

There is a bit of Sansha talk about it a little bit between pg. 92-98 (softcover).  Might be more, but that's all I bothered with.

Quote from: The Burning Life
'I just didn't think it was possible.  The more you shove metal into someone, and take away the body they've grown used to, the less they can usefully operate.'
There is that...  There is that, yeah,'

The general lack of cybernetics beyond the brain does seem to fit with what I've seen from EVE PF where the majority of modification seems to be from brain implants and biological modification.  Though if anyone does know of extensive cyber modification that'd be cool to see.

Nmaro Makari

• Nemo
  • Pod Captain
  • SHARKBAIT-HOOHAHA!
« Reply #46 on: 25 Dec 2011, 05:02 »

On a sidenote, I'd quite like to know if we're going to be seeing borg-esque Sansha invaders planetside :P
The very model of a British Minmatarian

Kaleigh Doyle

« Reply #47 on: 25 Dec 2011, 05:38 »

[spoiler][/spoiler]

small arms?

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
« Reply #48 on: 25 Dec 2011, 23:45 »

Ghost Hunter

• Sansha's True Citizen ; TS-F Overseer
  • The Mods
  • Veteran
  • True Power without limit!
« Reply #49 on: 26 Dec 2011, 02:09 »

On a sidenote, I'd quite like to know if we're going to be seeing borg-esque Sansha invaders planetside :P

Outside of the current nanomachine neural override invasion that is described in the chronicle Uplifting, profoundly unlikely.

I will be looking into my copy of TBL to see if there is any mention of this. If you know what specific part of the book it was in, it would help.

This sounds like something that probably arose during the Sansha segment, and it is rather misleading as a general cybernetic policy.

There is a bit of Sansha talk about it a little bit between pg. 92-98 (softcover).  Might be more, but that's all I bothered with.

Quote from: The Burning Life
'I just didn't think it was possible.  The more you shove metal into someone, and take away the body they've grown used to, the less they can usefully operate.'
There is that...  There is that, yeah,'

The general lack of cybernetics beyond the brain does seem to fit with what I've seen from EVE PF where the majority of modification seems to be from brain implants and biological modification.  Though if anyone does know of extensive cyber modification that'd be cool to see.

That quote, and what digging I've done thus far, seems to indicate it's largely speculation. Not done entirely yet.

FWIW - the idea of a natural limit sends a wrecking ball through cybernetic and Infomorph story details, so I highly doubt its a natural condition that exists for the sake of limiting implantation. It's possible they're talking in context of how Sansha cybernetics work (and their extreme human automation techniques), but even that is not irrefutably clear. This topic is worth splitting and discussing more if people are truly bothered by it - I would continue it, simply because such an idea needs to be discarded due to the damage it could do.
Ghost > So yes, she was Ghost's husband-
Ashar > So Ghost was a gay Caldari and she went through tranny surgery
Ghost > Wait what?
Ashar > Ghosts husband.
Ghost > No she was - Oh god damnit.

He ate all of them
We Form Moderation
For Nation

Ava Starfire

• Queen of Hashbrowns
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #50 on: 01 Jan 2012, 08:56 »

The firearms world changes slowly, as, at least with projectile weapons, there are only so many ways to design the weapon/bullet until you have a combination good enough that you see no need to improve it.

The 45-70 cartridge is over 140 years old. It is still the no 1 round for close range hunting in North America.
The 30-06 is over 100 years old. It served as a  military round through 2 World Wars, Korea, Vietnam, and even saw limited use in Afghanistan and Iraq, in addition to being a rifle cartridge you can buy anywhere, in any sporting or gun shop, on Earth, as it is an insanely popular hunting round.
The .45 ACP round, and the pistol designed around it, the 1911, have just reached their 100th birthday and show no signs of fading away. Other cartridges, such as 9mm Parabellum, 7.62 x 51, and others, will likely be around for at least another hundred years, as simply, there is no need to look for something "better". They do their job just fine.

Firearm design changes almost as slowly as cartridge design, due to factors ranging from people not wanting things messed with, to the problems in teaching arms drill to an army when you change the model of service weapon. The "bullpup" design, the most noticable change in firearm design for the last century, still hasnt quite caught on. Belt fed machine guns are still the norm for support, bolt-action rifles for snipers, semi or selective rifles fed from a box magazine for infantry.

Look at the changes in aircraft since the Vietnam war... then consider that, US forces anyway, are still using the same service rifle, albeit with some (very necessary) improvements over the original design. The AK-47 and its countless derivatives have been around for over 60 years, and I assure you, they will be around for at least another century, quite likely more.

The stuff works, is reliable, it is easy to manufacture, it is easy to train someone to use. This matters a whole hell of a lot more than being the most "advanced, high tech, lethal weapon in existence!"

Matariki Rain

• Sweet, gentle Mata
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #51 on: 01 Jan 2012, 13:58 »

Firearm design changes almost as slowly as cartridge design, due to factors ranging from people not wanting things messed with, to the problems in teaching arms drill to an army when you change the model of service weapon. The "bullpup" design, the most noticable change in firearm design for the last century, still hasnt quite caught on.

It looks as though drills in some militaries have caught up with the changes, but I can't resist noting that "Rest on your arms, reverse(d)", often used ceremonially, looked really silly with bullpups, and the bullpup alternative positions require you to support the weight of the weapon.

Nmaro Makari

• Nemo
  • Pod Captain
  • SHARKBAIT-HOOHAHA!
« Reply #52 on: 02 Jan 2012, 07:42 »

Firearm design changes almost as slowly as cartridge design, due to factors ranging from people not wanting things messed with, to the problems in teaching arms drill to an army when you change the model of service weapon. The "bullpup" design, the most noticable change in firearm design for the last century, still hasnt quite caught on.

It looks as though drills in some militaries have caught up with the changes, but I can't resist noting that "Rest on your arms, reverse(d)", often used ceremonially, looked really silly with bullpups, and the bullpup alternative positions require you to support the weight of the weapon.

Bullpups are good... Provided the manufacturer had enough gray matter to put in a switchable ejection port so left handed peeps don't get a face full of cocking handle and/or hot brass down their shirt. (still hilarious when it happens though)
The very model of a British Minmatarian
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]