Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That Blood Raiders as a faction are motivated principally by the desire to draw closer to the Red God? (The Burning Life, p. 56)

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Brainstorming: Racial Small Arms  (Read 7721 times)

Mithfindel

• (a.k.a. Axel Kurki)
  • Pod Captain
Re: Brainstorming: Racial Small Arms
« Reply #15 on: 07 Dec 2011, 07:02 »

http://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/For_the_State_%28Chronicle%29

At least some Caldari use man-portable railguns. Remember, hybrids are not just plasma weapons. As for railgun power sources, I find it credible that they could be powered either by a "central battery" in the weapon itself. Or then have a heavy backpack power source, possibly with just a capacitor in the railgun itself. Or then have capacitors in the rounds themselves. (The rounds would likely be not-charged during transport and storage, and recharged before loading the weapon.) It is notable that the EVE weapons are, as far as I am aware, actually coil guns, but regardless of the actual mechanism, they'd likely require serviceable parts (either the barrel or the rails) if we'd go with full realism.

Gallente blaster-type hybrids (particle accelerators) don't make much sense in athmosphere, perhaps they could be made some kind of a "shotgun" or "flamethrower" type weapon, short range but you don't want to be there.

As for Amarr weapons, rechargeable batteries on weapons, power packs or power plants carried on backpacks or discardeable batteries all would work within reason. As noted, there could be both interchangeable lasering units ("crystals") or fixed-wavelength weapons. The scientist in me wonders about the precision of removable crystals when serviced in field conditions, but I guess that is a non-issue at infantry combat ranges (slightly greater for snipers etc.)

And finally, it'd be quite interesting to see electrolasers. A high-power beam causes blooming in the medium, which causes it to disperse and lose power. The solution is to ionize the medium and then send an electric shock during this conductive channel. (Artificial lightning, if you wish to see it so.) Of course, another solution is simply to use pulse lasers with such of a short pulses that the blooming effect is avoided. A yet more technical solution is to monitor the dispersion of the beam and then adjust focus to avoid it.

Horatius Caul

• Words words words
  • Omelette
« Reply #16 on: 07 Dec 2011, 08:57 »

[spoiler][/spoiler]

What bothers me a bit about the weapons manufacturers in DUST is that Imperial Armaments isn't up there with Carthum when it comes to laser tech (and why Viziam is considered the best boggles my poor headbits). Just grabbing a faction's T2 manufacturers is an easy solution, but doesn't mean it automatically makes sense from a PF standpoint.

The Empire ought to be pretty damn good at centralizing armament production, because of its ingrained customs of restricting knowledge. It was always what I considered to be the main reason why Viziam's line of ships tended to favour missiles (with very few exceptions), while Carthum enjoyed a position as favoured developer for the Royal Houses and whenever the Imperial warmachine needed to outsource something big.

Nmaro Makari

• Nemo
  • Pod Captain
  • SHARKBAIT-HOOHAHA!
« Reply #17 on: 07 Dec 2011, 10:58 »

Minmatar: Bullets, bullets, + moar bullets

Cheap, reliable, long-lived projectile weapons.

Simple, easy to use, easy too fix. None of this messing about with plasma, laser crystals or any small arms that to them would seem needlessly complicated when high velocity metal does a good job.

Now that said alongside the simpler firearms, there would be more hi-tec stuff I believe, simmilar to technologies being employed in weapons research now.
The very model of a British Minmatarian

tarunik

• Resident Wormhole Lord
  • Wetgraver
« Reply #18 on: 07 Dec 2011, 11:58 »

Minmatar: Bullets, bullets, + moar bullets

Cheap, reliable, long-lived projectile weapons.

Simple, easy to use, easy too fix. None of this messing about with plasma, laser crystals or any small arms that to them would seem needlessly complicated when high velocity metal does a good job.

Now that said alongside the simpler firearms, there would be more hi-tec stuff I believe, simmilar to technologies being employed in weapons research now.
Bullets still work, of course.  ;)  (Although I do wonder if there are any "standard" calibers in the Republic's arsenal akin to how we have the 5.56mm and 7.62mm NATO and the 9mm Parabellum IRL.)

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #19 on: 07 Dec 2011, 12:05 »

in amarr cosmos, there is mention of "elite laser pistols", also manportable AT lasers as a heavy weapon.
\o/

Mithfindel

• (a.k.a. Axel Kurki)
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #20 on: 07 Dec 2011, 13:41 »

[spoiler][/spoiler]

What bothers me a bit about the weapons manufacturers in DUST is that Imperial Armaments isn't up there with Carthum when it comes to laser tech (and why Viziam is considered the best boggles my poor headbits). Just grabbing a faction's T2 manufacturers is an easy solution, but doesn't mean it automatically makes sense from a PF standpoint.

The Empire ought to be pretty damn good at centralizing armament production, because of its ingrained customs of restricting knowledge. It was always what I considered to be the main reason why Viziam's line of ships tended to favour missiles (with very few exceptions), while Carthum enjoyed a position as favoured developer for the Royal Houses and whenever the Imperial warmachine needed to outsource something big.

What Viziam ships, exactly, carry missiles? The Purifier naturally, since it is the bomber, but as far as I am aware, the Redeemer and the Zealot don't carry missiles. Are you sure you are not mixing them with Khanid Innovations - which is not part of the troika there. Imperial Armaments is one of the largest arms manufacturers (perhaps after Kaalakiota?), Viziam and Carthum are relatively new, though they're still megacorps.

From the description of the Zealot (Viziam):
For their first production-ready starship design, Viziam opted to focus on their core proficiencies - heavy armor and highly optimized weaponry. The result is an extremely focused design that, when used correctly, can go toe-to-toe with any contemporary cruiser design.

Absolution (Carthum):
Carthum ships are the very embodiment of the Amarrian warfare philosophy. Possessing sturdy armor and advanced weapons systems, they provide a nice mix of offense and defense. On the other hand, their electronics and shield systems tend to be rather limited.

Of course, the newer Viziam blurb from for example the Sentinel states:
Viziam ships are quite possibly the most durable ships money can buy. Their armor is second to none and that, combined with superior shields, makes them hard nuts to crack. Of course this does mean they are rather slow and possess somewhat more limited weapons and electronics options.
« Last Edit: 07 Dec 2011, 13:43 by Mithfindel »

Horatius Caul

• Words words words
  • Omelette
« Reply #21 on: 07 Dec 2011, 15:43 »

Are you sure you are not mixing them with Khanid Innovations
Yeah, I definitely am. Was just about to cross out my blunder  :oops:

Horatius Caul

• Words words words
  • Omelette

Vincent Pryce

Vieve

• Unreliable Narrator
  • Omelette
  • The Dark Powers Are Always Happy To Help
« Reply #24 on: 08 Dec 2011, 12:26 »

Adapted from Deep Core Mining Inc.’s proprietary technology, the DCMA S-1...

Gives a whole new spin on "drilling someone full of holes".

Also proves that the Caldari mine with missiles.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #25 on: 08 Dec 2011, 13:02 »

Of course, the newer Viziam blurb from for example the Sentinel states:
Viziam ships are quite possibly the most durable ships money can buy. Their armor is second to none and that, combined with superior shields, makes them hard nuts to crack. Of course this does mean they are rather slow and possess somewhat more limited weapons and electronics options.

Which is completely dumb to my opinion considering this description mostly fits to Khanid ships that are slow and hard nuts to crack, and that most viziam ships are fast and powerful, but probably the less sturdy of the 3 amarr T2 manufacturers : Redeemer, but especially the Zealot and the prorator.

hellgremlin

• Pathological liar, do not believe
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #26 on: 08 Dec 2011, 16:02 »

I want the Amarr to have Grasers from my fiction :p

Imagine a flamethrower, except it pukes intense, searing gamma radiation in a narrow cone. It can also be used for area denial by irradiating an area, the effects of which linger for a while.

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #27 on: 08 Dec 2011, 21:46 »

I want the Amarr to have Grasers from my fiction :p

Imagine a flamethrower, except it pukes intense, searing gamma radiation in a narrow cone. It can also be used for area denial by irradiating an area, the effects of which linger for a while.

Meltagun?
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Mithfindel

• (a.k.a. Axel Kurki)
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #28 on: 09 Dec 2011, 01:54 »

If everyone's armoured, then there's less room for advanced Minmatar gadget-ammo, like the veinsplitter ammunition (nanobot bullets which upon impact on unprotected areas dig in an make a mess).

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #29 on: 09 Dec 2011, 11:26 »

If everyone's armoured, then there's less room for advanced Minmatar gadget-ammo, like the veinsplitter ammunition (nanobot bullets which upon impact on unprotected areas dig in an make a mess).

AP-Sabot Veinsplitters - put it in an armor piercing shell that cracks open when it detects the armor is breached.

But more seriously, I doubt CCP would want (outside of the heavy weapons class) ammo like Veinsplitters that more or less guarantee a kill if you manage to land a single round on somebody.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4