Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

As part of its political goal to make the State stronger economically, Lai Dai is the primary supporter of the School of Applied Knowledge. Check out more here!

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Brainstorming: Racial Small Arms  (Read 7723 times)

tarunik

• Resident Wormhole Lord
  • Wetgraver
Brainstorming: Racial Small Arms
« on: 06 Dec 2011, 14:46 »

Did the races develop their small-arms technology in concert with their racial heavy weapon (so, the Amarrians would have laser-based small arms, the Gallente ones based on particle blasters, the Caldari using coil/rail weaponry, while the Minmatar would be using firearms similar to RL ones)?  Or are there some down-scaling limits on some of the weapon technologies available? (For instance, making it infeasible to build an infantry weapon based on pulse-laser technology.)

Hamish Grayson

Re: Brainstorming: Racial Small Arms
« Reply #1 on: 06 Dec 2011, 14:54 »

Every thing I've seen suggest they all do scale down and that the races use whatever they do on their ships.

Vincent Pryce

« Reply #2 on: 06 Dec 2011, 15:47 »

That's pretty much how it goes. In TEA there's a few of such examples. Like when the first Caldari waves hit Luminaire they use EMP shocks to fuck over gallente infantry weapons, and in the same scene Caldari are quoted to use lowtech minmatar firearms lacking most electronic parts that make Caldari and Gallente weaponry vulnerable to such tricks. AFAIK there's been other such examples about them littered here and there in PF, and if not anything else, players have rather fervently adapted it as canon.

tarunik

• Resident Wormhole Lord
  • Wetgraver
« Reply #3 on: 06 Dec 2011, 16:19 »

*nods*

This does raise a question, though: How are non-Minmatar small arms powered?  Do they have some sort of "battery" or power core?  Is it fixed in place, or removable/replaceable?  Is it rechargeable?

Also: would Amarrian small arms use a fixed focusing crystal, or would crystal swaps be as normal to them as reloading a gun IRL?

Hamish Grayson

« Reply #4 on: 06 Dec 2011, 16:25 »

I'd say that sort of detail is up to you.

Senn Typhos

• Pod Captain
  • Strong, Silent Type
« Reply #5 on: 06 Dec 2011, 16:50 »

IMO, if we go with the "scaled down" theory - which I particularly like, I don't really know why - then non-projectile weapons might still require charges. Hybrid guns still need individual charges, but I don't think they're "thrown" the way a projectile weapon is. So for a hybrid pistol, I don't know, perhaps it's a battery and charges, or perhaps each charge has a way to power itself for one release of the stored payload.

Railguns could be effective in that same field, but again it would seem they'd need an internal power source as well as the charges they'd be firing. The only totally self-contained one I could think of would be a laser pistol, which would need a crystal and power source - so you'd probably just switch out the battery when it got low, or something to that effect. vOv
An important reminder for Placid RPers

One day they woke me up
So I could live forever
It's such a shame the same
Will never happen to you

Vieve

• Unreliable Narrator
  • Omelette
  • The Dark Powers Are Always Happy To Help
« Reply #6 on: 06 Dec 2011, 17:10 »

Also: would Amarrian small arms use a fixed focusing crystal, or would crystal swaps be as normal to them as reloading a gun IRL?

Both?

At least I've played with both.  Small cheap laser pistols with a fixed focus crystal, and nicer ones that allow crystal swaps (e.g. the Imperial Armaments Mandorla series, a compact pistol with a small grip1).

1Tinfoil Hat.  Not PF.

Vieve

• Unreliable Narrator
  • Omelette
  • The Dark Powers Are Always Happy To Help
« Reply #7 on: 06 Dec 2011, 17:12 »

so you'd probably just switch out the battery when it got low, or something to that effect. vOv

Sort of like a thermal clip in ME2, eh?

Lyn Farel

« Reply #8 on: 06 Dec 2011, 17:29 »

Remember the artworks for a few DUST guns. The Amarrian pistol looked definitly lazor powered to me.

Senn Typhos

• Pod Captain
  • Strong, Silent Type
« Reply #9 on: 06 Dec 2011, 17:36 »

so you'd probably just switch out the battery when it got low, or something to that effect. vOv

Sort of like a thermal clip in ME2, eh?

Actually, not a bad idea.

One day they woke me up
So I could live forever
Will never happen to you

tarunik

• Resident Wormhole Lord
  • Wetgraver
« Reply #10 on: 06 Dec 2011, 19:21 »

Quote from: Senn Typhos
IMO, if we go with the "scaled down" theory - which I particularly like, I don't really know why - then non-projectile weapons might still require charges. Hybrid guns still need individual charges, but I don't think they're "thrown" the way a projectile weapon is. So for a hybrid pistol, I don't know, perhaps it's a battery and charges, or perhaps each charge has a way to power itself for one release of the stored payload.

Railguns could be effective in that same field, but again it would seem they'd need an internal power source as well as the charges they'd be firing. The only totally self-contained one I could think of would be a laser pistol, which would need a crystal and power source - so you'd probably just switch out the battery when it got low, or something to that effect. vOv

Yeah, I agree that hybrids would have an internal power source in addition to needing ammunition (I presume they'd be magazine-fed, just like their projectile brethren).

The bigger question for hybrids and lasers is: what do you do when your weapon is running out of juice? Can you just pop the power core out and put a fresh one in?  Do you have to plug it into the wall, so to speak?  Or are there cases where the power core is fixed, and you just throw away a dead weapon?

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #11 on: 06 Dec 2011, 19:23 »

TonyG said "The Gallente can make a laser weapon, but if you want a really good one, you go to Viziam"

Plasma-based weapons for Gallente/Caldari, mechanical/gas-powered stuff for Minmatar, laser for Amarr. Generally, but it sounds like each empire makes variants of each. Projectile weapons, for example, are going to be essential for mass production for low-tech colonies and such.

Saikoyu

• Omelette
« Reply #12 on: 06 Dec 2011, 19:34 »

I sware I posted on this, but I guess the forum ate this one too.

I've played Sai as having a one shot antique laser pistol where she has to change out a dead battery after every shot if she uses it at full power. 

If you are looking for "clip" ideas I would suggest you google Metalstorm, or look here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8hlj4EbdsE

If you could make something to withstand the recoil so a person could use it, you could use make an assault rifle or something where the "clip" is the barrel.  You could adapt this idea to hybrid rounds for either a railgun like thing, or a blaster type thing.

Senn Typhos

• Pod Captain
  • Strong, Silent Type
« Reply #13 on: 06 Dec 2011, 19:54 »

TonyG said "The Gallente can make a laser weapon, but if you want a really good one, you go to Viziam"

Plasma-based weapons for Gallente/Caldari, mechanical/gas-powered stuff for Minmatar, laser for Amarr. Generally, but it sounds like each empire makes variants of each. Projectile weapons, for example, are going to be essential for mass production for low-tech colonies and such.

Well, with projectile it's obvious how that pans out, there are different companies that make different guns with different parts, firing mechanisms, calibers of bullets, etc. So that makes sense.

I don't suppose it would be different with any other type. Mega PF's or the FIO might get some fancy, finely-crafted, highly disruptive hybrid guns, while the average station dweller might only be able to afford a basic type that loses some of its charge while firing. Not unlike a lesser pistol might not function well, be less accurate, produce a lot of gunpowder residues n'such...

One day they woke me up
So I could live forever
Will never happen to you

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #14 on: 06 Dec 2011, 20:58 »

I remember reading a book a while back that involved charged-particle weapons wherein the weapon chambers a "bullet" that contains both a crystalized matrix with the particles trapped within it (similar to Hybrid rounds in EVE) and a chemical-based high-capacity power system. When the weapon is "fired", the chemical 'packet' is pierced, causing the chemicals to mix, react, and thus a current to be formed between the two halves. This is then used to vaporize the crystal matrix and fire the now-freed particles down the barrel via magnets. Then the weapon cycles the entire empty cartridge out and a new one in, rinse and repeat.

Wouldn't be hard to adapt that to laser tech either - just lose the charged particle bit and increase your 'chem packet' to provide more energy capacity.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4